• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_0196.JPG Broke shoulder, plate and screws inserted. Dr. says I can ski if i don't fall. (he moonlights as a comedian apparently). After I stopped laughing/crying, he said maybe in a couple of years it will heal enough to take some impact. (don't know what this means.) This will stop me from skiing 19-20 season for sure. Anyone have a similar injury?
IMG_0196.JPG

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I wouldn't let a little thing like that keep me from skiing; I don't ski on my shoulder.
Don't let post-injury depression get you down!

Shoulder injuries I have had, in order of occurrence (and not all at once!):
1. Fractured clavicle along with fractured scapula and crushed the glenoid into many, many pieces (apparently not operable);
2. 3rd degree separated shoulder (three torn ligaments, collarbone hanging down by 1.5 inches) - Bonus PT for this injury returned lost range of motion from injury #1;
3. Broken humerus at the ball;
4. Dislocated shoulder.

P.S. After the dislocated shoulder, I managed to ski out the season for about 6 weeks without falling - so it is possible.
P.P.S With all those screws in there, the bone should be pretty secure.
P.P.S. Skiing with a painful injury makes adding a scotch to your après-ski pint of beer much appreciated.
EDIT: P.P.P.S. Don't Fall!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, my shoulder plate and screws looked very similar. Shoulders are complex and take a while to recover. Do start physical therapy as soon as your doc allows, and do all of the stretching exercises prescribed.

Even so, it will take a long time. Learn to shampoo your hair with one hand, it might take a year before you can raise the other arm up there

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Smashed a shoulder blade in 2 in a mtn biking accident one October. 6 month estimate for healing and recovery/ rehab accurate (3 months on a bag splint 24/7) but was able to snowboard late April/ May. Though I wore back protection for a few years.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The bones will heal a lot faster than the soft tissues. Did you have any tears? What pchewn said: Do your PT!! You'll be skiing next year.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
After the bones have healed and you are well into PT, consult with the Doc about removing the plate. In my case the plate was restricting the range of motion. After removal I gained another 10 degrees of movement.

James

Out There
Instructor
View attachment 73751 Broke shoulder, plate and screws inserted. Dr. says I can ski if i don't fall. (he moonlights as a comedian apparently). After I stopped laughing/crying, he said maybe in a couple of years it will heal enough to take some impact. (don't know what this means.) This will stop me from skiing 19-20 season for sure. Anyone have a similar injury? View attachment 73751
That is bad.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
The imaging looks like the injury was a "displaced proximal humerus fracture". The hardware is to facilitate healing and is often removed after.

This NIH paper may give you some hope:

Return to sports after plate fixation of humeral head fractures 65 cases with minimum 24-month follow-up

The paper covers multiple sports, including skiers. For skiers, the majority of them returned to the sport. Reviewing the report, I can't find any info on how long it took for the subjects to return to their sport, post injury.

TS
chip inderhol

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right humerus displace fracture of greater tuberosity is what they called it. The break was high up so that the rotator cuff had to be re-attached. Don't know if that means sutures were attached to the plate, thereby making removal unlikely. These are things I will ask at next post op consultation with Dr. funny. Just got out of sling and am starting pt. It sucks, but since I am off work I really don't have anything else going on. I appreciate all of the advice and information, it's why I love this site. Good people and good information.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Many sympathies. Please take this as only support & not advice; I tend to not chime in on specific cases, but would like to offer some light at the end of the tunnel.

You’ll have no trouble skiing again.

PT will be really boring for a while, yet it will get better once you’re cleared for active work. Shoulders are complicated, but incredibly fun to rehab. Allow your PT to do the range & passive, long duration holds now.

Go for coffee post therapy- be kind to yourself.

Find a really dynamic PT who will challenge you & not walk away to do their notes. Ask tons of questions. Get some bands to do your own contract relax stuff. Drink tons of water. Find some deep breathing work- it’s the best way to tap into some down regulating parasympathetic calming. Learn isometrics. Walk around with your ski poles when able. Ice & the hot tub are your pals.

Best.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Injury is a pain. :)

I get the impression from others that non-sports orthopedic doctors tend to be very conservative. You may want a second opinion from a doctor that knows and understands athletes.

Heal quickly and follow directions. Another thing I hear a lot is that people overdo their PT often causing more trouble than cure.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I get the impression from others that non-sports orthopedic doctors tend to be very conservative. You may want a second opinion from a doctor that knows and understands athletes.
As Valentino Rossi famously said.."For sure if Costa says don't ride..you should not ride!"

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I like what Doug says more. My sports ortho said I could expect to ski the next season after he put almost as many screws and a plate in my knee.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another thing...........Never underestimate the power of positive thinking! ;)

Reactions: eok

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
There’s actually some study on positive thinking!

My PT once gave me a research paper where they immobilized a group of young college students, ask half the group to “think” about (visualize) doing a lists of push up and pull ups, the other half did nothing. They measure their muscles after some weeks. The group who “think” exercise lost only half as much the muscles than the group that didn’t do any “thought exercise”

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
May be hard to switch to a sports oriented doctor now, but you can definitely ensure you have a sports oriented PT ... and can switch mid-course if you need to.

Where are you located? Someone here may be able to recommend a PT or ways to evaluate PTs so you can get the type of attention and results you are looking for.

Throughout the recovery process, focus on what you do want, not on some artificial limitation someone else puts in your head. Nobody cares more about your end result than you do. Take charge of getting there.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Throughout the recovery process, focus on what you do want, not on some artificial limitation someone else puts in your head. Nobody cares more about your end result than you do. Take charge of getting there.

This. Take charge of your own destiny

TS
chip inderhol

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, a short update for any who care. First off thank you for all the advice and well wishes. The advice helped me ask more pertinent questions. Just did my 6 month after visit, and my mobility is pretty good. 5 degrees short of full range with my arm in front, and 10 degrees short with the arm at my side. Dr. is very happy, (as am I) considering the severity and location of the break. Still weak but definitely getting better. It might never be as good as it was, but at 56, nothing is. It's a fight I've been losing for a decade now. Will be able to golf starting in October, so that will give something to do. I will have to take this season off from skiing, Just have to strengthen it (and lose a few pounds; seems I ate my feelings a little) but will be able to ski 2021.:yahoo:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January