• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

This could have been ugly

Posaune

sliding
Skier
The camera person was unable to be a spotter since he/she was looking through the camera lens. There should have been another person to spot it. They're both at fault in my mind, but legally I have no idea.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The cameraman would have been sued along with the jumper had there been a collision.

Jumping blind is always a bad idea. Doesn’t stop idiots from doing it though.

Yep, could have been ugly. Isn’t that why we wear helmets and spine protectors?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, sometimes people jumping don’t realize that not everyone is watching them. Last week I crossed someone’s line as he approached a jump, and he yelled “watch out!”

I normally avoid people straightlining towards a jump, but it was my first lap on that run that day, and I had no idea people were taking that line.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I watched a guy launching off stuff under Sierra lift at Copper yesterday and thought about the fact that he was not with anyone (no spotter) and I know that line well enough to know that there was no way he could see his landing until he was in the air. His speed was high enough that he will be very lucky if he doesn't kill someone some day if he continues the behavior.

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
When I was in ski school at age 10-11, the instructor took our entire class in a train over a jump. The kid before me botched the landing and crumpled in the snow. I didn't see it, took the jump, landed and drove the tips of my skis right into the other kid's belly. Luckily we all walked away with no injuries (but many tears). Seared into my memory as how not to manage a class of young boys.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
The camera person was unable to be a spotter since he/she was looking through the camera lens. There should have been another person to spot it.

There may of been. It sounds to me like there are two different voices on the first "OOH". It may have been the skier but I suspect the camera person and one other person standing next to him.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I amost got hit once by somedbody jumping the I-80 catwalk on Warm Springs run at Sun Valley. He was about five to eight feet from me with his skis at the level of my chest, so it could have been real ugly.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
this (almost victim of tragedy) must have been viewable prior to the decision to do this by anyone of the 3 involved. I mean that slower and what seems to be less experienced skier didn't just magically, spontaneously appear out of thin air from a 4th dimension or something. That person had to have been anywhere near enough by to take into serious consideration before any decision was made to do this. But …….you know...….the "its all about me" mindset overrides everything.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
First I agree with pretty much everything that everyone has said so far. I see far to many careless skiers on the hill these days doing things like this which scares the heck out of me. That said this particular video feels like it might have been choreographed as the skiers were perfectly timed to almost collide and they did so at the perfect camera angle. So the question I have is this a case of an almost tragedy or a shock tactic to get attention online? I could be wrong but this just seems a little too well filmed if you know what I mean.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First I agree with pretty much everything that everyone has said so far. I see far to many careless skiers on the hill these days doing things like this which scares the heck out of me. That said this particular video feels like it might have been choreographed as the skiers were perfectly timed to almost collide and they did so at the perfect camera angle. So the question I have is this a case of an almost tragedy or a shock tactic to get attention online? I could be wrong but this just seems a little too well filmed if you know what I mean.
That's what I thought after seeing the video that @Tricia posted.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's what I thought after seeing the video that @Tricia posted.
The video I posted above is the one from the original article in this thread. It wasn't playing for me until I went to its original source.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Agree 100%. They'd have to be even stupider than they already are.
Let's be clear whether it was planned or not this is worthy of a Darwin award. I have spent many hours teaching my kids ski safety and etiquette my 8 year old knows better than this.