• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thinnest Ski Socks/Sock Liners

NateR

Booting up
Skier
Hello all,

For those of you that have tried several/many ski socks... Who makes the thinnest ski sock or liner, that still do an efficient job of wicking away sweat? My bootfitter suggested I go with some thinner socks to start with in my new plug boots, so am looking around (I've got some Darn Tough Ultralight w/ padded shins... I like that they've got a lifetime warranty, but guess there are thinner options out there. Not sure if he was referring to the padded part as being thick, or even the unpadded parts, though). He said he often ends up with just sock liners to get them as thin as possible (though based on my reading on here, it sounds like sock liners don't stay put real well).

Thanks!
Nate

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been very happy with Smartwool's Extra-Light ski socks. Point 6 is just a notch back.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think Darn Tough makes a thin sock. I mostly use Smartwool Ultralight Cushion. If thin is the most important attribute, I use Ultimax. Not sure of the model. I’m not convinced that a crazy thin sock in important. Consistency is important, so your boots feel the same every day.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
My favorite boot fitter (I call her the boot whisperer) suggested the Bridgedale Micro Fit. I love them. I was using the Smartwool PhD's, but these work much better for me. They are very thin, with no padded sections.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have two pair of "NuDry" 100% Polypropylene socks but I do not know if they are still in business. They are the thinnest non cotton socks I have, If you include cotton and I know no one here likes cotton I have use old baseball sanitary hose (they are the thin white socks worn under the team color stirrup socks).

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@Philpug & @Tricia sent me some socks when they first started Pugski. They are my absolute favorite thin sock of all time & would luv to get another few pair but I cannot remember the brand or model?
I have a drawer full of Smart Wool in different thicknesses which because of cost have always been my go to brand (I go through lots of socks & sometimes change them during the day). They used to make an "ultra-thin" model, I have about 6 pair of these which have lasted for years. Of course the more you wash them the ultra thinner they get ;).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug & @Tricia sent me some socks when they first started Pugski. They are my absolute favorite thin sock of all time & would luv to get another few pair but I cannot remember the brand or model?
Those were Lopren, yes some of my favorite socks too.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some Lorpen, some Wigwam and some Ultimax. I like the Lorpen and Wigwam best .

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a drawer full of Smart Wool in different thicknesses which because of cost have always been my go to brand (I go through lots of socks & sometimes change them during the day). They used to make an "ultra-thin" model, I have about 6 pair of these which have lasted for years. Of course the more you wash them the ultra thinner they get ;).

Mine look kind of like fishnet stockings by now ;-)

Yeah, I used to have a stable of SmartWool ultra thins. I couldn't find them on their site anymore, so now I do Point6's unpadded version. I don't know why anyone who skis regularly needs padding, but that may be my particular blindness - obviously more people ski with padded than not, by a large margine.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I do Point6's ultrathin sox and like the thickness (or lack thereof) of them, but I find them to be tight in the calf and wish they would come up a little higher as they are not quite up to the knee. I might have to check some of these other suggestions out.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I don't know, maybe we are in different sizes?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure of the wicking ... as where to wick I have no clue, but I won't argue with Joe Montana ...:roflmao:

Sock.JPG

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have some Lorpen, some Wigwam and some Ultimax. I like the Lorpen and Wigwam best .
I also have a couple pair of Wigwams one pair is thick that I have not used in years but the other is thin and very warm, I use them on the coldest days. They are not as thin as my polypropylene socks but very long lasting, both pairs maybe 30 years old.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
REI merino liner socks work great, they aren't super high on the calf. And they are cheap at 10 bucks a pair.

Sponsor