• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thinking about a different boot

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I am currently in Tecnica Cochise 120 Dyn. Why? Well, I thought I wanted a boot that can use with my backcountry skis as well as resort skis. At this point I am relieved of that silly idea :) A couple of times I traded my SL metal skis for BC skis and could not stand it :) Maybe on a powder day or something, but definitely not the typical hardpack.

The Cochise has a last of 99mm and getting them to fit was a process. It started with "OMG it hurts", but some breaking in and a visit to Larry's in Boulder made it good. I like it now. The forefoot is tight, the heel I would even prefer tighter.

I am now thinking about trading the Cochise for Tecnica Mach1. I tried the MV model (medium volume) and it was "too comfortable", which will translate into too loose after a day of skiing. So, thinking LV (low volume) and some punching.

Now, the flex. 120 or 130? The Cochise 120 I seem to flex too easily, especially on warmer days. I end up tightening the ankle buckles and the power strap and it still feels too weak in front. Still, I am not sure.

I am also open to other ideas (Lange? Atomic? Head?). The reason I focused on Tecnica is that I liked the build quality and the fit seems to be good for Cochise and Mach1.

I am 150/5'9", athletic. This season is mostly over, but I might try a racing league next season. 42 days this season. Here's my recent skiing for reference (critique is also welcome!):

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
the alignment is off, the ramp/forward lean is to far forward and would make those boots feel very soft. Get what ever fits your foot with solid lugs so that the needed alignment work can be done and you can stop fighting your body and equipment.

The season in colorado is still at least 2.5 month more of lift served.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
the alignment is off, the ramp/forward lean is to far forward and would make those boots feel very soft. Get what ever fits your foot with solid lugs so that the needed alignment work can be done and you can stop fighting your body and equipment.

The season in colorado is still at least 2.5 month more of lift served.

Solid lugs -- you mean non-walking mode boot? As far as the season, I have got a handful of SkiMo trips coming up, this will eat up time.

Any advice on stiffness? 120? 130? Brand? I know that Tecnica seems to fit me well,

Hamid S

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Solid lugs -- you mean non-walking mode boot? As far as the season, I have got a handful of SkiMo trips coming up, this will eat up time.

Any advice on stiffness? 120? 130? Brand? I know that Tecnica seems to fit me well,
Lugs are the heel & toe extensions that lock the boot into the bindings.
Those get planed in order to alter the canting (the alignment of the boot relative to the ski).
How much material can be removed will be limited if the lugs are hollow inside.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Lugs are the heel & toe extensions that lock the boot into the bindings.
Those get planed in order to alter the canting (the alignment of the boot relative to the ski).
How much material can be removed will be limited if the lugs are hollow inside.

Ah, I see. Many alpine boots have canting adjustment at the cuff attachment joint. Isn't that enough?

Josh: I think you are seeing my left foot being edged/angled too much. This is likely not the boots, but my poor technique. I just got another batch of videos and I can see that my left turns (right foot outside) are fine, but the right turns (left foot outside) are A-framed. I think I push out the left foot very early in the turn. That also makes it look like I drag the right foot behind in the same turns. I am going to work on this.

Today was a very warm day (35F at the base). I was crushing those Cochise boots. First, I get about 5-10 degrees of play before I hit front of the boot with my shin, then the boot flexes for a long while. By the time it all stops, I am leaning forward like 30 degrees.

I think in order to compensate the above, I sit low. Since forward lean is so high, I have to bend the knees quite a bit in order to stay somewhat centered and also bend the ski.

It is almost like my tibia bones are too long, the calf muscle is way up high and the boot cuff is too short.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah its more to do with the forward lean, and you have way to much of it.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Ah, I see. Many alpine boots have canting adjustment at the cuff attachment joint. Isn't that enough?

Josh: I think you are seeing my left foot being edged/angled too much. This is likely not the boots, but my poor technique. I just got another batch of videos and I can see that my left turns (right foot outside) are fine, but the right turns (left foot outside) are A-framed. I think I push out the left foot very early in the turn. That also makes it look like I drag the right foot behind in the same turns. I am going to work on this.

Today was a very warm day (35F at the base). I was crushing those Cochise boots. First, I get about 5-10 degrees of play before I hit front of the boot with my shin, then the boot flexes for a long while. By the time it all stops, I am leaning forward like 30 degrees.

I think in order to compensate the above, I sit low. Since forward lean is so high, I have to bend the knees quite a bit in order to stay somewhat centered and also bend the ski.

It is almost like my tibia bones are too long, the calf muscle is way up high and the boot cuff is too short.
I sent you a PM about this. Cuff alignment is not the same as canting. Your left turn may very well be the result of being under edged -- a competent boot fitter can assess that.

You should not be crushing the front of the boot -- that puts your fore/aft balance forward, with the result that the tails wash out. Try standing in the middle of the ski with only contact, not pressure, on the front of the boot.

Mike

Sponsor

Staff online