• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Things we can learn from golf and vice versa

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have learned in golf that hitting a hardwood tree creates rather different results from hitting an evergreen. The hardwood creates a much more radical reaction, hard to tell which way (or how far) the ball will go.
It is different while skiing, no real difference; it hurts about the same, seems to be more about velocity than trajectory.

PSA. Avoid this activity if possible in either sport.

Last edited:

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
Have learned in golf that hitting a hardwood tree creates rather different results from hitting an evergreen. The hardwood creates a much more radical reaction, hard to tell which way (or how far) the ball will go.
It is different while skiing, no real difference; it hurts about the same, seems to be more about velocity than trajectory.

PSA. Avoid this activity if possible.

This is a good observation.
When you hit a hardwood tree, it makes a kind of musical tone, like a wooden percussion instrument: "tock."
But when you get into some small evergreen trees it is more like: "frrrrtttt..."

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ask a golfer how he played and the answer is #$@%&?&%. Ask a skier how his day is going on the mountain and he is excited and says "Its just great".
AS @S.H. pointed out... that's because you don't keep score when you're skiing! If you went out and golfed without score keeping just for the fun of hitting the ball (presuming you found that fun), it may be the same.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
To me, they are very similar in that they are both sports of dynamic balance. They are about generating power and speed while keeping sharply focused; not allowing your brain to lock up your muscles. Staying balanced, relying on your skeletal structure to provide stability, and staying calm when things start to unravel is the ultimate test in pretty much all sports. Successfully managing these variables at your aspirational level provides a lot of personal satisfaction in golf and skiing. Working to do it better the next time provides the motivation. Being with friends and family in an outdoor setting tops off the experience. We are fortunate.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Could playing golf without keeping score ever be fun?
Depends on how much you're drinking... :P

Actually, I could find it kind of fun now and then - in a "going to the driving range and just thinking of it as practice" sort of way. But I couldn't see never keeping score.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Muscle memory and the learned movements are the same. Not the actual movements, but engraining a movement so that it becomes a natural reflex response. Swinging a club, or turning your skis is the same kind of a thing, something that you do unconsciously.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Sorry I missed this thread when it kicked off, but I don't frequent ski forums during golf season. ;)

Anyhow, I didn't see anyone in this thread acknowledge the fact that @David Orr is actually posting on this ski forum. Look up David Orr and learn who he is in the world of professional golf instruction. The man has some serious cred!!!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Have learned that ski companies are much better at marketing than golf club companies.

How many active sets of golf clubs do you have compared to number of pairs of skis?

For me, a guy that's a total gear head, and who has skied practically his entire life, I have way more sets of golf clubs now than skis (and I have a LOT of skis)... ;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@LiquidFeet thanks for the input above but I am coming at this from another angle.

As Mike states (Beginning at 1:00 in) "TURN" (as related to body direction change) is an effect of what your pelvis and joints do. So, in the context of countering while carving, (assuming you believe in bottoms up skiing) if an instructor tells their student to turn their hips/pelvis (skeletal parts often improperly identified as the same thing), that isn't what you are trying to do according to Malaska. The countered position that we observe is the result of a straight line force being applied to one of the hip joints.

Now, we can all put our arm out and lean against a wall but that action alone does not produce a countered pelvis. However, as your pelvis engages in the angulation process (moves toward the wall) and you begin to flex/raise your inside knee (with feet aligned in parallel) , the higher you raise it, the more your pelvis wants to rotate around the outside hip socket creating a countered condition.

So back to my question. What is source of the straight line force that causes the pelvis to rotate around the outside leg's hip joint creating the countered position? I don't think it is the push of centripetal force coming up from the ski but instead some combination of muscular actions used in the creation of angles enabled by the flexing of the inside leg. This makes sense as the extremes that Lorenz shows above requires high levels of strength and FLEXIBILITY.

And if this turns out to be true, then we can surmise how important a role the inside leg plays in the creation of the carving state. Not so much in a ski snow engagement role but in a edge building role.

This making any sense?

This is an interesting thread and one that definitely has me thinking in a new direction when it comes to CA and the movements involved to produce that result. I also am a Malaska follower and have attended a couple of his clinics. That Malaska video was quite enlightening when I first saw it early this past season.

I learn best from a movements-based system of instruction. It's all about the inputs that create the resulting outputs. Skiing taught me how to learn a sport and that has directly translated to my learning to play golf well. So I'm always interested in what the correct inputs are to produce the desired outputs. When it comes to CA, I think I'm going to do some experimenting to see how what I understand of hip movement in my golf swing may translate to my pelvis in a ski turn.

It took many seasons of work to make how I now make a ski turn my "natural" inherent method. Similarly, developing a consistent golf swing takes a lot of practice until it just becomes how you swing a club. I used to say that I was a much better skier than golfer, but this past golf season I am now getting to the point where I think I'm about to be a much better golfer than skier. I got my handicap down to an 8 and was finally regularly breaking 80. I like that in golf there are no "style points", just a scorecard that tells the only story that matters when it comes to golf. It's why I am still considering getting into Masters ski racing once I'm an empty-Nester.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Depends on how much you're drinking... :P

Actually, I could find it kind of fun now and then - in a "going to the driving range and just thinking of it as practice" sort of way. But I couldn't see never keeping score.
There is no doubt that a session or 2, or 3, or 4 on the practice range magically helps the score, but at this point, I'm not sure it's worth it? Beer also seems to help and is a better value.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So I actually think there is something to Malaska's thoughts on pelvis rotation being the result of straight line forces/movements and how we create correct CA in a ski turn. Unfortunately LL was such a zoo today that I didn't get enough runs to fully flesh this out, but my "research" will continue... ;)

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
As many skiers hang up their skis for the season, they reach for their clubs. When it comes to outcomes, both these sports rely on the ability to create Centripetal turning force. In skiing, it is the result of carving actions. In golf, it is the result of swing development and the circular path of the club head in relation to the intended trajectory of the ball.

One of the YouTube educators I follow is Mike Malaska. IMO, Mike does a good job at addressing the realities of the sport and providing clear and logical explanations. In the following Video, he addresses the subject of rotation/turning, hip movement and straight line forces. He makes the point (which is what caught my attention) that the human body works in straight line forces and that how we use and interpret the word "turn" is often misconstrued.

Not sure I know the biomechanical answer which is why I invite input regarding the subject of how counter is developed in the context of carving a turn.

Whereas Mike shows us the reality of how the pelvis gets "turned" in a golf swing (this has improved my game significantly BTW) I would like here from you on how the pelvis gets "Turned" (Countered) during the execution of a carving action. My first thought is that it is just the opposite of golf. It is the shortening (collapsing) of the inside leg that allows for increased angulation/inclination. In a static off ski environment, I find that a shortening (flexing/bending) of the inside leg combined with (supported) inclination, moves the inside hip forward PROVIDED I maintain balance/pressure through the center of the arch of the outside foot.

Enjoy the video, I find there is a lot of common understanding to be had here on how the body works.

Really good golf stuff. Somehow I missed this. Malaska and Corgino are great teachers.
You can’t see the golf swing is priceless. I’d be rich if I had a dollar for everything in golf instruction I miss understood and miss applied.

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sorry I missed this thread when it kicked off, but I don't frequent ski forums during golf season. ;)

Anyhow, I didn't see anyone in this thread acknowledge the fact that @David Orr is actually posting on this ski forum. Look up David Orr and learn who he is in the world of professional golf instruction. The man has some serious cred!!!
Noodler...Thanks for the kind words...there are many, many people on this forum that are "successful" in their careers as well...I have been truly blessed for sure.

Sponsor

Staff online