• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thin, highly breathable shell pants with a long inseam?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know of such a thing?
Looking for something mildly waterproof and very breathable, preferable air permeable.
But the ones I knof of, don’t offer diffrent inseam lengths. I need 36”. Would settle for 35”, maybe even 34.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Not sure if this fits the bill, but this is what I wear many of my ski days...
Mammut Eisfeld Guide SO pant
( I wear a regular inseam, but here is a link to a long) -I just noticed this is a link for the women's model, I have the men's but you ge the idea...

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if this fits the bill, but this is what I wear many of my ski days...
Mammut Eisfeld Guide SO pant
Thanks @AlpsSkidad . I really like Mammut, they make nice clothing, and much of it is available in taal and short sizes. I have several of their regular soft-shell pants, and just got the GTX pants for my daughter in a tall.

I know about this pant (it's been out for a while). I think the hybrid design is a great concept for many types of skiing, but not for what I was looking for. This pant has regular stretch woven soft-shell on some parts, like the thighs, meaning no protection from water there.
I was looking for something suitable for multi day (spring) outings, where you might need the protection of a waterproof pant sometimes, but most of the time you don't need or want something too warm.

I was thinking now that there are several waterproof breathable materials out there with high breathability, and even air permeability, and face fabrics have gotten ever lighter.
This means that you might be able to get a pair of pants with thin fabric, with some air permeability, and long side zips, and be able to wear it even in warm sunny days skinning uphill. For most tours I would still just pick a stretch woven soft-shell for that use, but for longer trips where you need to cover all bases, it might allow one to pack fewer items.
And for days with variable conditions, switching/adding [ants is a pain, so it would be nice for that too.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For multi day tours, i skin in my long underwear, and have a very light full zip marmot precip pant in my backpack, for emergency or skiing if it's too cold.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
North Face has some Future Light stuff. Problem is first off their website. Click on Mens pants, and they don't appear.:huh:. Had to use google search to get to the page.
The other problem is with Futurelight in general, they have an array of fabrics, and dont publish specs, so it's hard to know what you are getting.
But at least they have some options, amsn most of them have tall and short inseams.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Those of us with long legs who need 36" inseam, we feel your pain. So much of the good stuff stops at 34" inseam.

The Dare GTX pants are insulated, but not really too heavy. They come in long sizes as well as short and regular. They are my spring skiing go-to's. XL Tall fits me great (6'5", 210 lbs).

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammut Tall has a very good inseam length for me (36" inseam).

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Arcteryx Cassair pant comes in T length option - chart list Tall inseam @ 35",35.5" & 36" depending on waist size. The stretch fabric is nice, not heavy but probably not as thin as you are looking for:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I sweat a LOT and nothing was breathable enough for me until I found Polartec NeoShell and Alpha. My jackets and pants are from Strafe but I would recommend looking for any MFR with that fabric and insulation that works for your sizing.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I sweat a LOT and nothing was breathable enough for me until I found Polartec NeoShell and Alpha. My jackets and pants are from Strafe but I would recommend looking for any MFR with that fabric and insulation that works for your sizing.

I have strafe pants as well and they are really nice, breathable, stretchable. The biggest problem with them is they are water resistant but not really water proof. They are fine if it is cold and snowing, the snow flakes will bounce off. But if it warm and snowing, the snow will melt on contact and soak the pants. So you will probably want something else for storm skiing. If it stops snowing, they will dry out very quickly.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@TheArchitect , I agree, that was what I was looking for, but (except for TNF futurelight stuff) none of the brands I know of like Strafe and OR, offer tall sizes.
Hence my post here, hoping someone might know of one that I had not heard of.

@neonorchid , yes the Casair is a nice pant, but with a flannel backer, and short pitzips, it’s aimed more at resort sking(thats where Arcteryx puts it) or bad weather touring.
Arcteryx and Mammut both offer tall sizes and good fits, but (mostly)stick to Gore fabrics.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Slim - keep an eye on North Face. They carried all but 1-2 models in short & tall last season. They've gotten deliveries on the Summit L5 pants for both genders, as well as more of their basic, budget resort pants, but it seems like most of their Future Light stuff hasn't landed. Can't tell if it's late or the fact that ski interest is ramping way earlier this season. Also, their UX is super weird. I've had a hard time shopping their assortment out of the browse nav, but all of the sold out stuff for last season comes up if you use the search nav.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Try Eddie Bauer on line they make tall models for the long inseam. I have a pair of their shell pants in a mens large and not the tall model, I use a 33 inseam and they fit fine over my ski boots. The tall model should do just fine for you.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Uncle-A , does Eddie Bauer still have anything in this vein? I didn’t see it on their website.

@Analisa , yes to all of your post. I looked at the L5 pant, but no side zips makes it a no go for me for this use.
The Free thinker seems interesting, except for it’s baggy fit (I have skinny legs).
I’ll keep looking for names of other Futurelight pants, so I can ask Google to take me to TNF’s webpage for them,

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@Uncle-A , does Eddie Bauer still have anything in this vein? I didn’t see it on their website.

@Analisa , yes to all of your post. I looked at the L5 pant, but no side zips makes it a no go for me for this use.
The Free thinker seems interesting, except for it’s baggy fit (I have skinny legs).
I’ll keep looking for names of other Futurelight pants, so I can ask Google to take me to TNF’s webpage for them,
I have not looked recently, but it maybe a timing thing or you may have to look under a different sport besides skiing. Could be a fishing thing or hiking thing that I got and not skiing related.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found some!

Lou at Foxwear makes Neoshell pants, as custom sizing. So I can get the custom sizing I want, the highly breathable Neoshell fabric I want, and I can even get it in lighter colors, so that it doesn’t heat up in the sun to much. Hooray!

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What about Good Ole Patagonia? Upstride pants might fit the bill.
Nah, they do not meet the two key requirements:
-Long inseam (36”)
-Waterproof

Patagonia might be “Ole”, but I find them far from “good”. They make untold numbers of garments, in zillions of colors and versions, yet they almost never offer short or tall sizes.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It sounds like 2hat you need is a two layer softshell.

Sponsor