• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thin, highly breathable shell pants with a long inseam?

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone know of such a thing?
Looking for something mildly waterproof and very breathable, preferable air permeable.
But the ones I knof of, don’t offer diffrent inseam lengths. I need 36”. Would settle for 35”, maybe even 34.
Did you actually state what size you need?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love the stuff they make, but they don’t offer tall or short inseams in any of their waterproof pants. They were one of the first places I looked.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Uhm, Yes, right in that opening post you quoted: 36” inseam, but would consider 35” as well.
I was thinking more in the lines of small/medium/large. Arcteryx do have tall and short sizes, but you need to fit an XL to get a 36" inseam. Even their small size starts at 35"

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
What do you mean with that term?

Several brands ID any material with a soft hand as a soft shell. If you take that soft hand fabric, put a water resistant / windproof layer in it (a three-layer fabric), you have essentially created the utility and characteristics of a hardshell.

Take what Steve at Coudveil was after (who now owns Stio).... a wind resustant, water resistant fabric with a high degree of breathability for missions in the dry, Intermountain West. Schoeller had a fabric that they used on high-end upholstery. Steve adopted it for outerwear, and created a new channel for Schoeller. Much like Peter and Patty Duke created Smartwool, and created the Merino market for mass consumption (and they now own Point6).

The diwnside? Engineering and creating that fabric to exhibit the above characteristics through its physical properties is not inexpensive. In many ways, a three-layer "softshell" is a way for brands to play in the softshell arena, while reducing retail, increasing margins, or both.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
might check out strafe. I have two pairs and have to get them shortened because they run so long. super comfy and not thick