• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"...they still fit like a glove!"

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I was changing out of my ski boots and packing up at Mt Snow just over a week ago. The conversation between two locals got them talking about their boots. I wasn't really listening but as they weren't that far away, it was difficult to not hear. The part of the conversation that happened just before the part in the Subject line was:

A: "You like your boots?"

B: "I love them. Haven't let me down yet."

A: "When did you get them?"

B: "1991 and...."

Yes they were rear entry.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Most painful boots I ever had were rear entry Hanson Experimentals (the Darth Vader boot).
Most comfortable ever were also rear entries, the first rear entries I remember seeing, Montan Competitions, perhaps the ugliest too. This boot in red with a 3rd buckle. I did ski them 2 seasons which was very unusual for me in those days.

2011-10-08 13.57.25.jpg

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
No doubt those hairline cracks they haven't noticed yet are facilitating that perfect fit LOL

Not only that, I remember maybe 12 years ago, when I was first getting into skiing, the rear entry boots I got from my nephew that were from the 90s, I gave to a friends teenage son. He skied them a few times and one day as he was skiing, went over a small jump and his ski just took off without him! Not from a fall or anything. It just detached and started heading down the mountain without him. Fortunately it wasn't a big jump as he only had one ski on so his landing/yard sale wasn't that bad.

The sole of his ski boot sheared off from the rest of the boot and since it was still in the binding and the brakes were up, off went the ski leaving him with the toe box and upper shell and the liner. Took him awhile to find his ski and Ski Patrol gave him all types of crap.

The boots were around 15 years old and I guess the plastics were finally stress enough to shear apart.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not only that, I remember maybe 12 years ago, when I was first getting into skiing, the rear entry boots I got from my nephew that were from the 90s, I gave to a friends teenage son. He skied them a few times and one day as he was skiing, went over a small jump and his ski just took off without him! Not from a fall or anything. It just detached and started heading down the mountain without him. Fortunately it wasn't a big jump as he only had one ski on so his landing/yard sale wasn't that bad.

The sole of his ski boot sheared off from the rest of the boot and since it was still in the binding and the brakes were up, off went the ski leaving him with the toe box and upper shell and the liner. Took him awhile to find his ski and Ski Patrol gave him all types of crap.

The boots were around 15 years old and I guess the plastics were finally stress enough to shear apart.

I gave a friend an old pair of Technicas years ago (TNTs) that were 5-7 years old and they cracked on him one day. Not nearly as bad as your example but he wondered why his feet were so cold and wet.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I've seen that happen at least twice. Ski running down the mountain.. some poor soul laying there with a liner and shattered shell.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Only posting to note that I've looked at your screen name @L&AirC for years and it finally dawned on me that it's "Land", Air, Sea. Boy do I feel stupid. :P

Returning to your regularly scheduled programming... ;)

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
Only posting to note that I've looked at your screen name @L&AirC for years and it finally dawned on me that it's "Land", Air, Sea. Boy do I feel stupid. :P

Returning to your regularly scheduled programming... ;)

:ogbiggrin: Hiding in plain sight. Use to be my license plate too.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Once saw the broken off sole of a boot in the parking lot at Camelback. From the orange color, it looked like it could have been from a Technica that wouldn't have been that old at that time.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I gave a friend an old pair of Technicas years ago (TNTs) that were 5-7 years old and they cracked on him one day. Not nearly as bad as your example but he wondered why his feet were so cold and wet.

The old TNTs were famous for this!

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
I was changing out of my ski boots and packing up at Mt Snow just over a week ago. The conversation between two locals got them talking about their boots. I wasn't really listening but as they weren't that far away, it was difficult to not hear. The part of the conversation that happened just before the part in the Subject line was:

A: "You like your boots?"

B: "I love them. Haven't let me down yet."

A: "When did you get them?"

B: "1991 and...."

Yes they were rear entry.
I have never had boots that I entirely loved. Currently in Hawx Ultra 130's. I am waiting for the day they scan my lower leg and 3D digitally laser print me a pair. Having size US13 has not helped either.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kinda glad I finally found a new pair that works for me...the ones I just replaced were 19 years old

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
I have never had boots that I entirely loved. Currently in Hawx Ultra 130's. I am waiting for the day they scan my lower leg and 3D digitally laser print me a pair. Having size US13 has not helped either.

That would be something. I guess it would be do the liner then do the boot? Maybe even have it so the the insole is part of the liner.

I guess the trick would be to make sure the foot is in the correct position before any scanning/measuring happens.

A couple years back my wife got this thing for getting jeans to fit right. You put it on and it takes all your measurements. IIRC, it tells you the brand, model and size to get. My wife is really happy with the results, or at least she was.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid