• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

These old skis

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On a whim I knocked the dust and rust off my early 2000s Volkl P50 Platinums and waxed them. I wasn't really going to ski on them but took them up this morning. They were my 1st truly shaped skis almost 20 years ago and performed quite adequately on the nice groomers today. They were actually quite a bit more fun than I thought they would be and I ended up skiing on them the entire morning.

What old friends have you pulled out of your quiver lately?
20180131_133109.jpg

squill

Getting on the lift
Skier
I cant really dust these off because they're pretty much all dust now, but these 210cm double camber Phoenix's certainly make the mountain a whole lot bigger.

0204161120.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I propose we turn this thread into a Neo-Retro thread.

First candidates:
IMG_20180620_142417.jpg

The first thing to do on these is remove and toss the bindings. And the mounting plate. The topsheets will get filed back at the sidewall corners, and the mounting plate holes filled in with epoxy.

That should improve the overall weight quite a fair bit. Then it's decision time - what binding or plate/binding combo to use and keep the flex ~similar while keeping the weight down.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Solution to binding weight problem: NTN Freeride bindings, on 10 mm risers. No need to thank me, I'm just helping the species survive.

Nordicas got the skeeze!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are many older skis that really stood the test of time, skis that are closely related to what is on the market now. The list of decade old skis that are out there that still are worthy tools, here are a few examples...

Vist Free collection, basically the same skis that Blossom that many here are fawning over, the same with the Hart sksi that came from Italy
Kastle MX, yes, the first MX's are about a decade old
Race skis, most SL/GS skis from the turn of the century are still damn good skis, you just need to find a pair that wasn't actually skied as a race ski
Volkl Mantra, the 94 and 96mm Mantras were game changers, why do you think Volkl went back to thier roots with the new M5
Blizzard Magnum 8.1/8.7, the first of the new Blizzards

I am sure there are more to add, have at it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pay no attention to that really wide thing on the right... ogsmile

IMG_0854 by The-Architect, on Flickr
The MX88 and FX94 are two stellar skis still.

Those 626's scare me...that heel is a jack in the box and will blow. Find some 727E or 737E's, they have the same hole pattern and are all metal.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The MX88 and FX94 are two stellar skis still.

Those 626's scare me...that heel is a jack in the box and will blow. Find some 727E or 737E's, they have the same hole pattern and are all metal.

I'm sad to report that I no longer have those Dynastar skis so no worries there. I took the picture for historical purposes.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Gang...as you know I'm just back on my skis after the TKR. After digging around in the Glesner Ski Museum I selected these K2 Mod X Pro as my current ski of choice. I like them even more than I remembered. I think there from the 2002 season? Now a question to the group on current skis out there that will ski like these...what do you think would make me "happy"?
100_4240.JPG
100_4239.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online