• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

There’s never enough skis or time

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
As I ponder my overzealous, bordering on hoarding of skis. I just can’t seem to ponder; why do I do this to myself? Having such a quiver is obviously denying myself some opportunity. Having such a choice, makes it virtually impossible to become so familiar with a ski, that it becomes broken in, to you, your style and unique way of pressuring and flexing a, one, two, or three, ski quiver. Let’s say, you have 5 skis in your quiver. 2 BC/slackcountry skis, 3 frontside skis? (hypothetically, of course! aka as, I’m this hypothetical ski owner) I ski about 30 days a season, because I have bills, and a 17 year old daughter that thinks she’s a Kardashian! That leaves on average, 6 days on each. I would hypothesize, it takes a good 15-20 days, to really get to know and break in a ski. Add, an additional 20-30 for you to be able to squeeze out all the juices, of any ski‘s unique characteristics, or, to be one with said ski, as I like to think of it.

On the other hand, I’m hoping to not, really need to ski my Kendo 88’s. Because that means, it’s firm, or icy. And in reality I have those two aforementioned bc/slackcountry skis, one I like to ski resort in as well and the other more powder specific, I just got. So really I’m only trying to ski 3 skis frequently.
I’m curious, on the thoughts of all you other ski hoarding freaks here, you know who you are! Time vs. Quantity in a quiver?

im not having buyers remorse, I’m feeling guilty for having to many children (SKIS), and, not being able to spend enough quality time with each. I guess, the remedy to this dilemma, is to ski more. Come on POWERBALL?!?!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Simple solution. Patience.

Yup, patience. Wait a year, then boot the Kardashian out of the house. Eliminate your long term liabilities. That may include your wife. Reduce your short term liability to food and a roof over your head. Get 120 ski days. Trash the skis.

Problem solved.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As I ponder my overzealous, bordering on hoarding of skis. I just can’t seem to ponder; why do I do this to myself? Having such a quiver is obviously denying myself some opportunity.

Meh. Maybe it's not about enough quality time. Maybe it's about the quality of enough time.

The first phrasing applies to children.
The second phrasing applies to moods.

If you're in a foul mood in foul weather, don't try to spend 6-20 days there. Just focus on letting the Kendos make you better while you are there.

#codependence
#FISSLtherapynextseason

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Learn how to ski every ski in your quiver in the terrain and type of snow you like to ski.
Often stay on one ski for a week or more in my case. So far this year my quiver of four action.
Nordica Enforcer 100 -20 days- #1 rock ski
Stockli Laser S/C - 5 days - My sports car
Mantra M6 - 6 days- #1 daily driver
Mantra 102- 0 days- #1 King of the hill ski

Also have Katana 112 and 108 for powder storms and a Fischer RC4 for ski bum races.

Maximize the time on skis that you have rather than collect dozens of skis that you will hardly use.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like an existential crisis, how to collect more skis, and feels as though you’ve gotten the value out of them, and discovered how awesome they can be.

But, life has other demands. So what do you do?

Go skiing, because only then can you properly ponder the meaning of life’s mysteries.

TS
TahoeJoe

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier

Yup, patience. Wait a year, then boot the Kardashian out of the house. Eliminate your long term liabilities. That may include your wife. Reduce your short term liability to food and a roof over your head. Get 120 ski days. Trash the skis.

Problem solved.
I kinda like the wife and pseudo kardashian though

TS
TahoeJoe

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
Meh. Maybe it's not about enough quality time. Maybe it's about the quality of enough time.

The first phrasing applies to children.
The second phrasing applies to moods.

If you're in a foul mood in foul weather, don't try to spend 6-20 days there. Just focus on letting the Kendos make you better while you are there.

#codependence
#FISSLtherapynextseason
Ok Freud

TS
TahoeJoe

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
Learn how to ski every ski in your quiver in the terrain and type of snow you like to ski.
Often stay on one ski for a week or more in my case. So far this year my quiver of four action.
Nordica Enforcer 100 -20 days- #1 rock ski
Stockli Laser S/C - 5 days - My sports car
Mantra M6 - 6 days- #1 daily driver
Mantra 102- 0 days- #1 King of the hill ski

Also have Katana 112 and 108 for powder storms and a Fischer RC4 for ski bum races.

Maximize the time on skis that you have rather than collect dozens of skis that you will hardly use.
I’m have the similar quiver

kendo88-ice skates just in case New England, New Englands
12/13 mantra- formidable rock n trash ski
m102-favorite so far daily driver
moment countach 110 new eye candy- m102 could get jealous time will tell
mantra Vwerks-Best resort side country ski ever made
katana Vwerks pow pow and Tahoe ski, either the moment or m102 comes along, possibly both

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m have the similar quiver

kendo88-ice skates just in case New England, New Englands
12/13 mantra- formidable rock n trash ski
m102-favorite so far daily driver
moment countach 110 new eye candy- m102 could get jealous time will tell
mantra Vwerks-Best resort side country ski ever made
katana Vwerks pow pow and Tahoe ski, either the moment or m102 comes along, possibly both

Awww, c'mon. WTF, six pairs? You are having a mid life crisis over six pairs. :nono:
When I go skiing, I have to figure out which seven pairs of my skis to put in the back of my mini-van. Mamie is not giving up any one of her six slots.

TS
TahoeJoe

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
Awww, c'mon. WTF, six pairs? You are having a mid life crisis over six pairs. :nono:
When I go skiing, I have to figure out which seven pairs of my skis to put in the back of my mini-van. Mamie is not giving up any one of her six slots.
Is that what this is, a midlife crisis? Or am I just feeling glutinous, for no good reason ?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that what this is, a midlife crisis? Or am I just feeling glutinous, for no good reason ?

Oh, sorry. Are you over 50? If you are, then it's no longer qualifies as mid life crisis. Unless you have confirmation that you will live to 100.
It is more likely to be confusion due to on set of elderly delirium.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Full WC race setup for all conditions. If you can't do it, there are holes in your technique. Then expand your quiver for lifestyle comfort.
I mean, definitely don't do that unless you have that sort of personality....

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
I don't know. I have ~15 pairs of skis (need to sell one) and ski around 105 days a year. It works out. Some skis are outrageously narrow use (I am looking at you, Pescados) and may get only an epic day or two... My XC skis get 15-25 days each. My park skis double as my adaptive teaching skis... I don't BC as much as I used to, but I keep an old pair and boots to introduce people to it (in addition to my own setups). All the skis spend some time on snow every year, and I have fun on them. That's all I care about!

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I guess I have an intimate relationship with all three of my active skis.

Rictors 293 days (Can't give them up.)
Hell n Backs 175 days (In a rut, never loved them. But don't hate them enough to replace them.)
iKonics 46 days (It's taken a while to learn to love them)

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So ...... too many skis because you aren't skiing enough, and the solution is to eliminate skis?!?!?!? Somewhere early in the journey a serious detour was taken, but there is always a way back. The very first step on the road to recovery is this very simple mantra; there is no such thing as too many skis. Second step: ski more.
That being said, thinning the herd is a never ending process but it's only one side of the coin; the other side is replacing the culls with better skis. There's always new skis that, if not better, are at the very least different and present the opportunity to develop new skills, increase performance and move into new territory. And naturally, this applies equally to all your other gear as well.
Never give up, never surrender!!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Problem solved.

:yeah:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

It IS a greed of a kind yes and the more ski that you really love you have the worse it gets as there is always always that tiny voice at the back of your head that goes: Imagine if I was on X ski and not on Y as I am now. Also there is always the regret that you left some fantastic ski at home.
Cure is to ski more and also-know the mountains you ski like the back of your hand and then you will be 100% absolutely sure there is no better ski today.

Sponsor