• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "What's In The Quiver For Your Next Trip?" Thread

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Hopefully this will be both entertaining and informative.

Ground Rules:
  • The definition of "trip" requires more than a quick walk and/or bus ride, I'm thinking car drives and/or plane flights (or trains?)
  • Include where you are going
  • For each ski: measurements and why you're taking that pair
  • When in doubt, don't forget to have fun
So, without further ado, here we go:

Park City, Utah, 6 days of skiing Feb 4th - 10th, driving so plenty of cargo space

'15-'16 Head Super Shape iRally, 177cm, 131/77/109 - this is the goto ski for me, does great as long as not too deep
'17-'18 Head WCR i.Speed Pro, 180cm, 118/68/99 - cheater GS race ski, NASTAR for PUGSKI.com, racking up vert
'07-08 Volkl Mantra, 177cm, 133/96/116 - most likely choice for pow and crud

I may sub Gotamas for the Mantras at the last moment if the conditions look likely for dumpage...

Last edited:

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
(Probable)

Hakuba Japan for one week late Feb.

Me 185lb (or so) sound to strong skier.

Bringing Salomon QLab 176cm 103mm underfoot 20.5m turn radius

Why this ski? Assuming I go I’ll be travelling by myself. I think travelling light is better for this trip. I just don’t want to cart two pairs of skis around. This pair carves fantastically, is great in powder and fine in bumps. It can deal with pretty much any conditions I’m likely to encounter.

If the snow forecast shows lots of snow on the horizon I’ll relent and also take K2 Coomba 114 at 177cm with Atomic Tracker bindings.

If the snow turns out to be rock hard I’ll hire some carve skis while I’m there.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
DD5D7561-003B-4565-B0D7-690524D9396B.jpeg

Dubbed these the max pass quiver

Wife and I flew out west for a mix of business and pleasure starting Sunday and will hit 4 max pass areas over the course of 18 days.

Flew to Big Sky and then driving to Solitude, Brighton and Steamboat and then fly back east.
The wife’s two pairs of Sambas on the left are both 166 and when you can ski like her you really only need to bring one pair, the second is merely a back up in case one gets damaged or destroyed.

My pairs on the right, as I am a major over thinker.
Low tide zoomer groomer Z90s 175
SR 95 184 - fresh out of the wrapper and will more than likely carry the brunt of the load
SR 107 183. These are my lucky charms to ensure I’d see at least one day of new snow and what do ya know they already delivered !

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
So the quiver usage stats for this season are as follows:

Head Rally, 10 days (5 Park City, 3 Deer Valley, 2 Mammoth)
Head WRC i.Speed Pro, 2 days (2 days Deer Valley)
Head WRC i.SL RD, 1 day (1 day Deer Valley)
Volkl RaceTiger SL/WRC, 1 day (1 day Deer Valley)

No powder days this time around, and fewer days than usual (ah, the joys of being a contract employee...)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hopefully this will be both entertaining and informative.

Ground Rules:
  • The definition of "trip" requires more than a quick walk and/or bus ride, I'm thinking car drives and/or plane flights (or trains?)
  • Include where you are going
  • For each ski: measurements and why you're taking that pair
  • When in doubt, don't forget to have fun
So, without further ado, here we go:

Park City, Utah, 6 days of skiing Feb 4th - 10th, driving so plenty of cargo space

'15-'16 Head Super Shape iRally, 177cm, 131/77/109 - this is the goto ski for me, does great as long as not too deep
'17-'18 Head WCR i.Speed Pro, 180cm, 118/68/99 - cheater GS race ski, NASTAR for PUGSKI.com, racking up vert
'07-08 Volkl Mantra, 177cm, 133/96/116 - most likely choice for pow and crud

I may sub Gotamas for the Mantras at the last moment if the conditions look likely for dumpage...

I only have three pairs of skis (well, only is relative, my wife thinks thats a lot :huh: :D ) so if I do not take all three I definitely would take the Head Monster 88's 184cm and then it would be between the Moment Deathwish 190cm (112mm wide) or the Black Crows Navis Freebird 185's (102mm wide with Dynafit bindings) depending on expected terrain, activities and snow conditions.

Thats all I got, for now.

I used all three pairs quite a bit this season. But since it was pretty much low tide for most of the year here the Heads got the most use at the resorts this season no question.

Sponsor

Staff online