• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
@Jenny - shouldn’t be a problem going up with crutches. It’s about $30 or so to take the gondola without skiing. Managing the snowfield might be another thing entirely though... lots of people do hang out in the lodge and at Trapper’s (the cabin bar) without skiing.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Jenny - shouldn’t be a problem going up with crutches. It’s about $30 or so to take the gondola without skiing. Managing the snowfield might be another thing entirely though... lots of people do hang out in the lodge and at Trapper’s (the cabin bar) without skiing.
But since I have my MCP card for there already they won’t charge me again, will they? (We did the request ahead thing and actually have the passes already.)

TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
But since I have my MCP card for there already they won’t charge me again, will they? (We did the request ahead thing and actually have the passes already.)

No - I think you can just use the lift pass if you already have the mcp :) It shouldn't be a problem.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even though we won't be able to make it to this gathering, I'm super stoked to see this happening.
Please post lots of pictures.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps the following will be informative for those going to this event with MCP. I was in the Banff area a couple weeks ago with the MCP. My first ski day there was at LL. When I gave my MCP info they issued me a special Big 3 photo ID card that I used for two free days at LL and three days at SSV (paid half price for third day at SSV). I also took my MCP info to Mt. Norquay and they issued me a free one-day lift ticket. LL and SSV are big, comprehensive mtns with SSV favoring intermediates and LL favoring advanced. I only skied Mt. Norquay for about 4 hours as it was my final day before traveling back East, but I enjoyed my brief visit to this small, historic and beautiful mountain. The old North American double chair at Mt. Norquay serves some very challenging glades and bump runs. Pray for at least a few clear days because the scenery at all three mtns will blow you away:thumb:

LL:
DSCN6299.thumb.JPG.82ac1f8f1d38eb8dcf383d29145e0d1b.JPG

SSV:
5ab29c4e4e856_CopyofDSCN6478.thumb.JPG.7fa606ee007f86027d7a985889a9a1fd.JPG

Norquay:
5ab71a88585b7_CopyofDSCN6675.thumb.JPG.c126a6d800e20a11039b315849a31a68.JPG

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Love the pics @Jim Kenney !

And to add to the stoke: I skied with the @BlueSquare family today at Louise - and we had an amazing beautiful day. Definitely still winter snow today. Tons of fun, beautiful views and great company! Blue square and son today!
BE917B1F-3789-486D-8745-A3C59BA90315.jpeg

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really wish I could make this, but I’ll be in Tahoe, so not bad at all! The scenery and vibe of the Canadian Rockies blew me away....I’m still contemplating a quick early-mid May trip up there to finish my season. Canada is the best! I really should have been born Canadian..

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Mike Rogers @albertanskigirl @Poolskier Vinny
I’d appreciate some input on current conditions so I can better decide which pair of skis to bring. I’ve got a Head Rev 85 and Head Rev 105 and I’m really fine with either in most conditions, but if there’s likely to be more soft snow, the 105’s make more sense, and if there’s mostly groomer zoomers and bumps I prefer the Rev 85’s. FWIW I took my Rev 85’s to the Utah Gathering and was fine, other than 2 days where I was demoing or borrowing a wider pair.

Thanks

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Hey David,

That's a toughie to call right now. Conditions are great and it looks like we're gonna get some more snow tonight (we've had a bit of fresh on and off last few days) I haven the skied LL or SS recently but buddies of mine were out today and last week and conditions have been pretty good. Soft...but they ski mostly trees/off piste/etc.

Long range forcasts for both LL an SS from snowforcast.com has some big snowfalls for this Thursday but we'll see if that actually happens. I'd wait until just before departure to pick your skis if you can.

I doubt we'll get the kind of snow we had that first day at Snowbasin when we got nuked! If you skied that on your 85's then you won't have a problem here with those. However, unless we get freeze/thaw cycles or really warm temps the snow should stay soft. We had a big powder dump/day in Jasper last weekend..dry and light and a foot of it!....LL and SS didn't get as much but still temps/conditions have been very unspring like this last week ...more like mid winter...it was minus 20 Celsius at my house last nite!)

Personally I run everything here on my icelantic nomad 110's..1 quiver ski. And I like moguls!

The safe bet (in addition to waiting as long as possible before deciding so you can check the forcasts/snow reports) would be to plan on bringing the 85's and if we get dumped on then you can always rent a wider set BUT Keep an eye on LL and SS resorts snow reports plus snowforcast.Com....if we get the snow next week pack ur 105's.

TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Hi @David Chaus

+1 on what @Poolskier Vinny said. So far it's been winter, and there's a bit of snow forecast for the next few days. So right now, the outlook looks good, but things could change pretty quickly. I'm happy to update here later this week too. Right now doesn't look like temperatures will be going up, and there is a big dump scheduled for next weekend.

85s should be fine, but so could 105s. FWIW, I ski 100 underfoot Nordica Santa Anas from November through May on groomers, powder and bumps. Also a one ski quiver for me.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Poolskier Vinny I borrowed a pair of Armada JJ’s from Tom (Near Nyquist) at Snowbasin, and they were lots of fun after I figured them out. I was back on Rev 85’s the rest of the time with no problem.

Funny, on that Gathering trip I packed the 85’s because we were heading to Sun Valley first, but we got more snow for 2 days at Sun Valley than we had in UT during the Gathering. I’m leaning toward the 105’s with the forecasts I’m seeing but I will stayed tuned.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied the back-country around Lake Louise on Saturday, and the resort on Sunday.

Spring has finally hit the Canadian Rockies. Temps at the base of Louise were +5c on Saturday.....with a lot of sun, and +4 on Sunday with more cloud. For both days, solar aspects were in the melt-freeze cycle, but it took a bit longer to get the melt on Sunday. New snow (although not super deep) made the freeze phase surprisingly enjoyable.

We found dry winter snow on Polar Aspects with true North aspects like ER6 and Pipestone Bowl having very light snow. Northeast and Northwest facing slopes were also very wintry.

I chose my narrow skis on Sunday (98mm bonafides) and was happy with my choice. Liz went wider with her Sheeva 11s and seemed to think they were okay too.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I like a 100mmish ski as a daily driver for this region...so if I was in your shoes I would probably bring the 105s, but if you prefer the 85, I doubt you will be needing any float.

TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Yup - snow-forecast.com is usually great with telling you when it's going to snow, but not always accurate on the amount of snow.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@albertanskigirl says forecast is for snow. Jim has decided to bring the fat skis. Now all we have to do is successfully get out of GR and Chicago during the freezing rain/sleet/whatever we're going to get this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Ok everyone. It is time to confirm your attendance to the Park Distillery dinner/après. Please copy and add your name to this roll call if you will be coming on Monday at 7pm to the Park Distillery. You must confirm by Sunday at noon because I have to let Park Distillery know our exact numbers the day before. So, I will confirm the people who have added their names below by Sunday at noon (mountain time).

Coming to Park Distillery on Monday:

1) @albertanskigirl & mr. albertanskigirl

Sponsor

Staff online