• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One that seems to have been left off the list is "The Complainer" or "The Bitcher".........even on the nicest day they're not happy............
"It said on the website that everything was groomed"
"Why do they groom all the trails?"
"How come this trail (designated as a race trail) is closed for racing?"
"Can't they turn off the snowguns?"
and on and on...............

Some people just have to find the dark cloud around the silver lining. Their glass is half empty and leaking fast............ogsmile

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Thanks SkiNurse that was a good read. Met all of them and could add a few more snow enthusiast stereotypes. None of those characters is close to this person. A SF Bay Area commuter to Tahoe but not in the Front Ranger mold.

Old and hard core as recently retired, more a rec bump skier and mountain generalist looking for relaxed fun, not so enthusiastic and charging as in my 30s/40s. Committed decades ago to keep skiing in part my life because well its one way for a peon of modest middle class means to have more fun at times than any amount of wealth can otherwise buy. Also long into other mountain sports in summer. Never interested in living up there while being content to live about the excitement of the big city.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe another variation of the front ranger/silicon valley holiday warrior.

Late learner that knows just enough to get into trouble Tries to spend his way to the next level through equipment, rather than investing in the lessons, mileage.

How to recognize him? Has the shiniet gear and heel pushes down the more difficult slopes.

Don't ask how I know this guy.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Me and most of my friends:

THE RETIREE
He worked and saved for 40 years to live near his favorite ski area and makes the most of it. He's in the parking lot by 7 a.m. to get a close spot, getting dressed in the warmth of the lodge for an hour while sipping coffee and on the lift by 9:05. And he's on the way home by 1 because, as they say, "Old skiers don't die. They just go downhill really fast."

Telltale sign: Has way more days on the mountain than you.
------

Except I don't need to get to the parking lot that early. 9 is fine. On chair by 9:30 easily, saving money by having had coffee at home. Don't generally leave quite that early either, depending on how far into the season it is.

I guess because it's not Colorado they get some types we don't.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I never noticed you watching me, Paul! :eek:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about the 50 Year-old Athlete Bro? 6'1", handsome, and well-built. Skis strongly for sure, but has been the center of attention since he was 14; self esteem pegs at 11. He and his buds feel entitled to converse at volumes more suited to arena rock concerts (after all, he IS the most important person in the tram).

Tell-tale sign: highest end equipment and clothing, just scuffed up enough to testify to regular use. Hair cut fashionably, but shaggy enough to testify to hip nonchalance. Self-awareness, humility completely absent.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I have met all of these people on a lift. How about you?:rolleyes:
https://www.coloradoski.com/blog/ten-people-you-meet-chairlift

This is why you find the 5th on the list in CO or NM :roflmao:
upload_2018-1-18_23-39-22.png

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
"Disgruntled 60 yr old" who's P/O'd that resorts keep raising the age for discounted lifts/passes.
Telltale sign: heard muttering "80 will be the new 70 when I get to 70."

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Disgruntled 60 yr old" who's P/O'd that resorts keep raising the age for discounted lifts/passes.
Telltale sign: heard muttering "80 will be the new 70 when I get to 70."

Finally, someone's been listening to me! :yahoo:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Newbie - Telltale sign: Asks which direction you're headed off the lift

OR experienced skier / chair lift getter-offer worried about a collision with newbie.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Funny list if CO centric. A now dying breed: no hat or helmet guy and gal. Back in the day no hat/helmet gal/guy let their flowing locks fly despite the temperature. Typically wore sunglasses to keep the google band from compressing their hair. Sunny days can bring a few of those left.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Funny list if CO centric. A now dying breed: no hat or helmet guy and gal. Back in the day no hat/helmet gal/guy let their flowing locks fly despite the temperature. Typically wore sunglasses to keep the google band from compressing their hair. Sunny days can bring a few of those left.

Guilty on the sunglasses (Vuarnet, iSki, RayBan or Oakley) PART but still wear the helmet unless it's over 50 degrees. Wear a hat or dew rag to keep my bald head from burning if it's hot but ALWAYS prefer sun glasses over goggles unless goggles really are needed due to weather. Not a fan of today's fish bowl face goggles. Only wear goggles if it's below 10 degrees or snow is flying from clouds or guns..