• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Tale of Two E-Tip Glove Liners and a Mitten

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
E-tip glove liners have been around for several years, and more options in different thicknesses and warmth levels appear each year. I have found that some work well while others are disappointing, and still others work well for a short time but fade in effectiveness after some usage.

In this comparison I will be talking about the Serius Soundtouch Dynamax glove liner, the North Face Etip glove liner, and the Swany Toaster Mitt with an e-tip liner built into it.

When I first purchased the North Face Etip liners nearly two years ago, I was stoked at how well they worked: I could snap photos and check my smart phone without getting cold hands! But after a while, the texture on the fingertips started to wear off, affecting the e-tip capabilities. This liner is one of the warmest I have used, making it a handy option when walking Ziggy, but it can be bulky inside a mitten.

Last year I received the Serius Soundtouch Dynamax and was disappointed to find that it never quite worked unless I had my finger in a precise position, which is not always easy when I’m out in the elements taking photos. The best thing about it is that the texture is really nice, allowing for great dexterity and a good fit inside a mitten.

e-tip Serius TheNorthFace.JPG

Two years ago, I purchased the Swany Toaster Mitt with an e-tip liner built in. This mitten has a handy side zip so you can expose your hand without taking the whole thing off. This liner is two years old, has been worn at least 150 days on snow, and is still the most effective e-tip option I have tried so far. One of the best things about it is that I can also slide a hand warmer into it on brutally cold days.

e-tip Swany.JPG

To summarize, the Swany Toaster Mitt is my favorite and works the best for the way I use a smart phone on the slopes. The North Face glove liner was great before the e-tip wore off. As noted, these options are a year or two old, so you may find that current versions have improved. I look forward to hearing what kind of experiences you all have had with e-tip gloves and mittens.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is there any tape, or goo one could brush on that turns a regular liner into an etip?

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Fuxi gave me a pair of liner gloves that had 'button' holes in the index and thumb finger tips. Just poke your finger through and touch away.

Incidentally, I have found that the slightest amount of water on my finger, even just dampness, will cause my phone to not respond.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Toasters are the warmest mittens for the northeast. I hate mittens, but might have to succumb to a pair! I can't get my electric mitts to work with the cuffs on my ski jackets.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been using these for a few seasons now:
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens-pl-base-sensor-gloves/p/2432120489006
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research-Sensor-Gloves-Medium/dp/B00H58Q8HY/
2432120489_124894_jpg_thumbnail_3.jpg

I haven't tried too many others, but these had a good enough fit for me; and not too much extra material in the fingertips for my fingers. Also, they do have silicone texture on the palms for grip, and I like the bright yellow color option as it helps me wave people down.
If you set up an alert, they sometimes go on sale for under $15 on amazon esp over the summer.
They do wear out and are relatively fragile so you do need to be gentle with them.
If baselayer gloves are too thin, Outdoor Research also has other sensor glove models with different weights and insulation thicknesses.

As far as the e-tip; it works for the most part, but yes, if the fabric does bunch up weird the spelling gets bad. If you can get the fabric or seam to protruding or fold over to form a little point, it works better like a stylus. I also use a screenprotector so that's not helping my precision and sensitivity.

Hint: sometimes, if it's really cold (like last weekend in Tahoe) meaning really dry, the tips stopped working for me. To fix or increase sensitivity, put finger in mouth and breathe some warm breath to increase moisture and the conductivity.

For the DIY, yes you need to use conductive thread but that was mainly before there was wide availability of touchscreen compatible gloves. Nowadays there are so many glove options, it's not worth it to bother with the DIY. In years past before, I did also try 1 product that was a brushon liquid product, but it does not work after a day, even after thoroughly soaking the tip in the liquid.

Finally, it's key to have wrist loops on your gloves. Hestra handcuffs can be added to any glove as an add-on relatively cheaply so you can glove off and on without a big todo.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Andy Mink has a pair of E-tip gloves that he got at Costco. I think Head?