• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Absolutely, no on sets out to make a bad product or a ski that no one would like. As we say over and over , there are no bad skis but a lot fo wrong skis, for me the Stradfast was a wrong ski. But I think this does fit right into your train of thought in trying to find what you are looking for. Everyone has "a Steadfast", for me it just happened to be the Steadfast, some it might be a Brahma or a Mantra or a FX95..whatever.
Phil,
I could not agree more. Everybody has personal preferences on most things. That is why they make so many different skis with different characteristics. Kind of like good beer as an example not everybody who likes beer likes an IPA. I use this analogy as many people drink beer and there are lots of different types and styles to suit different tastes of people. My wife and I are BJCP beer judges and judge competitions for fun. I have skis I really like that others do not and I dislike skis that others like. I think it all depends on what the skiers skill level is and what type of skiing they prefer, like, or are able to do.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Geisha graphic?

Nope. This was the 2016 Kenja, so some combination of black and pink.
I did own the original Aura.....the one with a wood grain looking top sheet with the “Kill Bill” woman on them. That’s a ski that I am sorry I sold. That one DID have a “wow” factor. But knee surgery took me off them for 2 years, so I sold them.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a pair of skis that matches this description for me -- Atomic Alibi. Doesn't do anything really exceptional, but it just works most anywhere I take it so I have a hard time justifying a new daily-driver.
I did demo them and was not real big on them either.

Last edited:

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Steadfast was OK at that, but not great. The Firearrows were much much better at speed - and many folks in this thread formed expectations of the Steadfast based on the Fire Arrow, which didn't pan out so well.

The Steadfast was better at speed than the Ramp Woodpecker, of course it was also deader at low speeds than the Woodpecker. The other thing you could say about the Steadfast is that a lot of Bears bought them at a great price from Start Haus.
I agree the Nordica Firearrow 84edt is a great carver and really has no speed limit for me.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'm 95 % confident (can you tell I'm a scientist?) that an instructor at Sunday River was on Steadfast's for a lesson with the wife and I after a 18" snowfall (Blizzard of 2015). He said he only pulled them out for ungroomed deep snow days.
That would be the kind of condition in which I would enjoy my Steadfasts. But the Patrons are all-around better then. Love the Nergy 90 and Firearrow in firmer conditions. The Enforcer 93 has become my favorite for the widest range of conditions.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had similar days in So. Vt - maybe a bit *more* snow but the person who was being silly everywhere on the mountain was not the Steadfast skier. The guy on the Seths was just grinning ear to ear, the person on the 4FRNT Cody just behind the K2 guy.

Then we had us two old grumps - Dec' 2013:
1458651_10201706296836611_634961358_n.jpg

(The Salomon Qseries I'm wearing there also outskated the Steadfast on uncut powder flats, the Steadfast was better everywhere else).
Maybe because they were so noticeable, I saw lots of DPS skis the day after the blizzard. Despite Sunday River's reputation, it was all ungroomed for two days, but pretty cut up by the end. WhiIe I was working harder on my Experience 83, the fun of that ski week and the blizzard is why I have affection for Sunday River.

Sponsor