• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think the closest ski I have had that matches this description is the Rossignol Experiance 88. I consider this ski to also be a bit of a turning point in my skiing abilities as it signaled the first non twin tip park ski I had owned in a good 8 years at that time. I really advanced my turning and technical skiing with that ski and it showed me what a real all mountain type ski could be. I compare the edge hold and stability of all of the skis I have been on since to the E88 cause it really did everything I wanted but has lead me on to better skis for how I like to ski now.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I never got to ski a Nordica Steadfast, but the name and the definition of the word, suggest that the ski would excel at skiing at high speed through cut up snow after a 1 foot or more dump of snow. Maybe you didn't ski it fast enough? Kind of like my old SGs. They are a great ski, but you would never know it if you didn't ski over 50 mph.

The Steadfast was OK at that, but not great. The Firearrows were much much better at speed - and many folks in this thread formed expectations of the Steadfast based on the Fire Arrow, which didn't pan out so well.

The Steadfast was better at speed than the Ramp Woodpecker, of course it was also deader at low speeds than the Woodpecker. The other thing you could say about the Steadfast is that a lot of Bears bought them at a great price from Start Haus.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I never got to ski a Nordica Steadfast, but the name and the definition of the word, suggest that the ski would excel at skiing at high speed through cut up snow after a 1 foot or more dump of snow. Maybe you didn't ski it fast enough?
The Steadfast was OK at that, but not great. The Firearrows were much much better at speed - and many folks in this thread formed expectations of the Steadfast based on the Fire Arrow, which didn't pan out so well.

The Steadfast was better at speed than the Ramp Woodpecker, of course it was also deader at low speeds than the Woodpecker. The other thing you could say about the Steadfast is that a lot of Bears bought them at a great price from Start Haus.

I'm 95 % confident (can you tell I'm a scientist?) that an instructor at Sunday River was on Steadfast's for a lesson with the wife and I after a 18" snowfall (Blizzard of 2015). He said he only pulled them out for ungroomed deep snow days.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have a pair of skis that matches this description for me -- Atomic Alibi. Doesn't do anything really exceptional, but it just works most anywhere I take it so I have a hard time justifying a new daily-driver.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm 95 % confident (can you tell I'm a scientist?) that an instructor at Sunday River was on Steadfast's for a lesson with the wife and I after a 18" snowfall (Blizzard of 2015). He said he only pulled them out for ungroomed deep snow days.

We had similar days in So. Vt - maybe a bit *more* snow but the person who was being silly everywhere on the mountain was not the Steadfast skier. The guy on the Seths was just grinning ear to ear, the person on the 4FRNT Cody just behind the K2 guy.

Then we had us two old grumps - Dec' 2013:
1458651_10201706296836611_634961358_n.jpg

(The Salomon Qseries I'm wearing there also outskated the Steadfast on uncut powder flats, the Steadfast was better everywhere else).

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of skis that matches this description for me -- Atomic Alibi. Doesn't do anything really exceptional, but it just works most anywhere I take it so I have a hard time justifying a new daily-driver.

I felt the same way about the Alibi, did everything well, just didn’t excite me. I coulda gotten them and been just fine.

Re: the Steadfast, I thought I would like the Hell and Back and felt they were too stiff, whereas I liked the Steadfast better, for me it was for me a much better fit, more compliant and easier to turn and even pivot in bumps and variable terrain. That said, I didn’t buy it, either.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

This says much more about Sunday River and about the instructor than it does about the skis.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting thread, but as for wondering about the designer...isn't it reasonably possible that almost every ski has someone who likes it? I guess there are some genuinely crappy skis, but it seems the vagaries of weight, skill, conditions, aggressiveness, etc. mean that some skis are for some people and not others. For instance, Phil, you're a reasonably big, strong skier; doesn't it stand to reason that someone 40lbs lighter or heavier and with a different amount of aggression would feel differently about a ski?

This isn't to suggest no one else has a "Steadfast" ski; it's only to give credence to others who might feel differently about one or the other, and put other choices on perspective.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting thread, but as for wondering about the designer...isn't it reasonably possible that almost every ski has someone who likes it? I guess there are some genuinely crappy skis, but it seems the vagaries of weight, skill, conditions, aggressiveness, etc. mean that some skis are for some people and not others. For instance, Phil, you're a reasonably big, strong skier; doesn't it stand to reason that someone 40lbs lighter or heavier and with a different amount of aggression would feel differently about a ski?

This isn't to suggest no one else has a "Steadfast" ski; it's only to give credence to others who might feel differently about one or the other, and put other choices on perspective.
Absolutely, no on sets out to make a bad product or a ski that no one would like. As we say over and over , there are no bad skis but a lot fo wrong skis, for me the Stradfast was a wrong ski. But I think this does fit right into your train of thought in trying to find what you are looking for. Everyone has "a Steadfast", for me it just happened to be the Steadfast, some it might be a Brahma or a Mantra or a FX95..whatever.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Interesting, my Steadfast was the Bushwacker, nice, steady, but just never talked to me. I traded it for an Alibi and had a lot of fun conversations.

Missile Bandits

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I think the ski should work for me. If I have to work the ski, it's not for me. I am way out of the loop on skis. Mine are at least 10 year old, probably older than that. The new ones seem to be getting longer again. Have to demo someplace sometime.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nordica Enforcer 93 would be one ski that falls in my steadfast category but I am a outlier as usual.
Interesting that you would say this about the Enforcer 93. I was actually thinking of getting this ski but felt it may not be great at speed so I opted for the Kastle MX89 instead. I do know that a lot of people do like the Enforcer 93 but some of the reviews made me think twice. I do have the 98 Enforcer that I really like.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I felt that way about the Bonefide. :duck:
And the Enforcer :duck::duck:
I agree with you on the Bonafide. I have the Cochise, Brahma, Bodacious. I felt the Bonafide was just to weak for me and that I just overwhelmed it. I do like the others though. I skied the Bones for a day and sold them for less than I paid. I know that most of the world likes the Bones but it was just not for me.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Feel that way about Enforcer 100. It does everything asked of it REALLY WELL but hasn't been the end all in any department.

Will happily take that mix of characteristics. :yahoo: