• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting. I sent a media request in, hopefully they will reply.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I like data, I'm intrigued. But no price that I could find, no android app, and the website is broken (compatibility and in-the-box buttons take you back to the main page)

And no info on my biggest question, how does it attach?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, I couldn’t find it on Kickstarter. Their link comes back to their page.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
with out knowing how to interpret data its will be useless except to those making the money by its sell.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well at least the top end version comes with a Swiss Army knife! It’s interesting that someone who describes herself as a professional extreme mountain athlete got a “cookie score” of 4.5 out of 10.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
with out knowing how to interpret data its will be useless except to those making the money by its sell.

It's mostly just a toy for the data-inclined. (So it needs to be toy priced, not serious-tool priced.)
But the snowcookie might be useful in self-diagnosing asymmetry between left and right turns.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was on the phone with @Snowcookie cookie for about an hour this morning and quite franlky if what they say is correct, it is going to be a very interesting tool when we are testing skis. Right now, I will reserve judgement but I will say I am intrigued. We will be playing with two of these, one here in Tahoe and I will be sending one to Colorado. We will have multiple connectors and will be doing a comparision of similar skis in a similar category.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big Brother needs to know exactly where you are, what you are doing and how well you are doing it. Maybe I'll leave the electronics behind and just go enjoy ripping some turns.

I can't believe you have all that computer assistance- I'm so much better than you! GNAR!

Eric

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
GNAR is not a computer game!

This actually made me think - just how much tech belongs in athletics? Pro athletes will use whatever makes them better. Recreational athletes will use whatever is fun and helpful. This sounds like a cool toy. But a competition to see who can tip their skis to the most acute angle (or something equally silly but measurable) is over the top (unless there's money in it - in which case, way cool!).

Just go ski.

Eric

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll probably be seeing a bunch of these making it to market soon. Here's one that's been out a little while. https://usa.getcarv.com/

My question about snowcookies is can only one body sensor really capture proper body alignment in let's say a carve? Can it detect a hip dump vs proper angulation/inclination ?
My guess is hip dumppers will be rewarded with a good score.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's mostly just a toy for the data-inclined. (So it needs to be toy priced, not serious-tool priced.)
But the snowcookie might be useful in self-diagnosing asymmetry between left and right turns.

The snowcookie is just the collection layer. I don't see the data itself as being intended for direct human processing at all. This is totally an AI application.

Imagine an NN trained on @Josh Matta in a transfer learning scenario, where the collection snowcookie is stuck to Pugskier X's skis.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The snowcookie is just the collection layer. I don't see the data itself as being intended for direct human processing at all. This is totally an AI application.

Imagine an NN trained on @Josh Matta in a transfer learning scenario, where the collection snowcookie is stuck to Pugskier X's skis.
Perhaps, but you're speculating on future scenarios and uses of the technology that may never come to pass if people don't adopt the toy as it is now.

And anyway, where are you ever going to find someone to create a neural network based on @Josh Matta? :D

Snowcookie

Booting up
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Hi Guys,

I'm Martin, and I'm a co-founder of Snowcookie. I wanted to say hello, introduce myself, and tell you a bit about the project.

Snowcookie is a wearable electronics platform designed to help skiers learn more about their skiing technique, to see what's invisible with a naked eye. We like to think of it as the first step towards "connected skiing."

We're a startup of several guys who love skiing and technology. The team and I have been working on this project for over four years.

We started at Intel Make It Wearable Challenge, where we were a finalist.
Fast forward 4.5 years of struggle, failed prototypes, and fundraising, and we have Snowcookie 1.0.

We put our hearts and souls into this project, but we're aware that this is just the beginning of the journey. We need a conversation with real skiers to improve the existing features and build new ones.

I had a call with Phil last night, and he'll be hopefully testing the product soon.

I'm thrilled to join this community, and I'll do my best to answer all of your questions.

Martin

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Perhaps, but you're speculating on future scenarios and uses of the technology that may never come to pass if people don't adopt the toy as it is now.

Yes, of course. Sorry, but wasn't that obvious from 'the snowcookie is just the data collection layer'? They are not remotely as future as that - I'll wager @mdf is perfectly qualified to write one.

And anyway, where are you ever going to find someone to create a neural network based on @Josh Matta? :D

https://www.kaggle.com/competitions I'm sure some of these lot would love to come up and visit Josh for a few days. :)

Snowcookie

Booting up
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Since I like data, I'm intrigued. But no price that I could find, no android app, and the website is broken (compatibility and in-the-box buttons take you back to the main page)

And no info on my biggest question, how does it attach?

Thanks for your questions. Allow me tackle them one by one: )

1. Ski attachment
  • Snowcookie attaches to the ski via a , which you stick to your skis in front of the toe-piece.
  • The mounting plate itself uses the same dual-sided adhesive as GoPro mounts (3M VHB). It can be also screwed in.

2. Website
  • We're working on it right now. For now it will be just a simple landing page before our Kickstarter campaign, which we launch next month.

3. Android
  • we plan to deliver the version for Android in Feb 2020. That's one of the goals of the Kickstarter campaign
  • As a (partial) apology to Android users I thought I'd explain the decision to develop for iOS first.
    • Snowcookie simultaneously streams data from three external sensors (cookies) and fuses that on the fly with the data from phone's sensors. This requires a lot of testing. It was more affordable for us to initially develop and test on a relative small number of iOS devices vs. numerous high-end Android phones.
    • Having said that, of course we'll do out best to deliver Android as fast as we can.
4. Snowcookie will be available on Kickstarter for around $349. It will ship in December 2019
We have some test units available for purchase for early testers.

Martin

Snowcookie

Booting up
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
It’s $350. I found that here.

https://dlmag.com/become-a-better-skier-with-snowcookie-wearables/

I’m a tech geek and understand how it will help. However, I’m not sure it’s for beginners and intermediates. I can see racers jumping in looking for that additional edge in speed.

Hi,

We originally designed it for intermediate and advanced recreational skiers. This is where the system is now.
I don't think that technology will ever replace a ski instructor, at least I hope I won't. Snowcookie won't help a complete beginner as he/she wouldn't benefit much from advanced metrics such as ski symmetry or edge angles.

Yes, absolutely agreed on getting some competitive advantage to racers. We'd love to work with the professional skiers

Martin

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January