• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Which snowboard instructor? I know just about everyone that skis/boards regularly at Magic. Even more important, I know all of the bartenders very well :beercheer:

I've spent mucho time in the bar at Magic. My snowboard instructor friend is, we call him Stash or Stashoooooo but his name is Stan Czechel. Been teaching there for years and has a trailside condo. We hung with them on 4th of July and had an absolute blast. He's a great guy. Trying to get us to work at Magic but we're Bromley people but do love the culture of Magic so love spending time there.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The price may not be conducive to rental, but they aren't high based on the market. We used to rent demo skis alone for $50.00/day. There was a break for multiple days. Adding high end boots and poles would make $70/day within the norm or even low.
I have AT boots, working on getting that part of the set-up right first. I'm still figuring this out and want to rent the AT skis and skins before sinking more money into the endeavor.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Magic/Bromely area isn't really a ski town per say so I don't know of any shops to rent stuff other than on mountain. I think you'd need to go to Manchester or Ludlow or down to Stratton/Mount Snow if you are looking for bick and mortar rental shops.

I have real pain in the a$$ feet for ski boots. Not so much in my left foot but my right foot is all kinds of issues. My boot fitter takes great care of me but is there hope for someone like me for AT boots or do I need to have 2 expensive set ups.

I'm not one of those wear it straight out of the box ski boot people now so I can't imagine AT boots would be any different. I'd love to just get a pair of boots at a tag sale or used but that's not an option for me.

Is there any one boot out there that I might be able to consider for my next boots. If I have to have 2 pair so be it but just thinking ahead and what my options might be.

Last edited:

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My boot fitter takes great care of me but is there hope for someone like me for AT boots or do I need to have 2 expensive set ups.

Plenty of hope! Since manufacturers make the shells a lot thinner, which makes them a little more pliable. Sacrifices a little on the downhill performance, but makes them easier to fit and more comfortable. Blisters from skinning are a different beast. Leukotape and/or knee high pantyhose work for a lot of my friends (I always get a good chuckle when my guy friends talk about going splitsies on a 30 pack of L'eggs). Do it before your tour, especially if you're getting rental boots.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I have real pain in the a$$ feet for ski boots. Not so much in my left foot but my right foot is all kinds of issues. My boot fitter takes great care of me but is there hope for someone like me for AT boots or do I need to have 2 expensive set ups.

I'm not one of those wear it straight out of the box ski boot people now so I can't imagine AT boots would be any different. I'd love to just get a pair of boots at a tag sale or used but that's not an option for me.

Is there any one boot out there that I might be able to consider for my next boots. If I have to have 2 pair so be it but just thinking ahead and what my options might be.

I have a wide foot and my Atomic Hawx XTDs after being cooked fit great. The technology, as @Analisa mentioned, is here that wasn't there 5 or even 3 years ago. Obviously from my posts I'm enamoured of my Hawx, but Fischer, Lange and others have really raised the bar in fit with performance in boots with tech capabilities.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I talked to my bootfitter when I went to see him last weekend for my pre season checkup. He was telling me about this Technica Cochise boot that's about the same flex as my Rossi Pure Elite 120s. He likes these boots because you can use them for skinning but they aren't compromised for downhill performance. I really like the fit of my current boots. He said Rossi makes an boot for AT/downhill but it's softer and it really compromises on downhill performance. The technica's sound interesting to me. Just things for me to think about as this season gets going. Our condo is right on Magic mountain and I'll be event more enticed to take the intro to skinning class now since it'll be so convenient.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I talked to my bootfitter when I went to see him last weekend for my pre season checkup. He was telling me about this Technica Cochise boot that's about the same flex as my Rossi Pure Elite 120s. He likes these boots because you can use them for skinning but they aren't compromised for downhill performance. I really like the fit of my current boots. He said Rossi makes an boot for AT/downhill but it's softer and it really compromises on downhill performance. The technica's sound interesting to me. Just things for me to think about as this season gets going. Our condo is right on Magic mountain and I'll be event more enticed to take the intro to skinning class now since it'll be so convenient.

I have Technica Cochise that I use for both resort skiing and back country. They are heavier than most back country specific boots but work fine and are very comfy.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

It's all a matter of what your objectives are. I have a friend with those boots. They are an impressive do everything boot.

That said, after one season of skiing backcountry in them, she's looking for a new backcountry boot. While they have pins, aren't crazy heavy, and have a walk mode, they are not close to the touring functionality of a true AT boot.

If you want a boot to just get a workout in, and do laps on groomed slopes they make a lot of sense. If you have longer tours or any climbs that may require scrambling on rocks/steep snow, a dedicated AT boot is the way to go.

Basically:
- Cochise: Slippery DIN sole, ~2000g, okay walk mode.
- True AT boot: Grippy lugged sole, ~1500g, great walk modes.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Basically:
- Cochise: Slippery DIN sole, ~2000g, okay walk mode.
- True AT boot: Grippy lugged sole, ~1500g, great walk modes.

FYI, you can swap out the soles on the Cochise.

But I agree with the overall assessment. Great boots, but I am thinking about getting a pair of dedicated AT boots myself.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
FYI, you can swap out the soles on the Cochise.

Yep. The sole from last years Zero G Guide will work on them. Just don't think about trying to shove that into an alpine binding unless you've got a MNC binding.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks guys. Yeah I don't anticipate doing any big skinning so I think the Technicas will work fine for what I intend to use them for. I don't even intend to do backcountry at this point. Just up the trails that I normally ski down anyway.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you want a boot to just get a workout in, and do laps on groomed slopes they make a lot of sense. If you have longer tours or any climbs that may require scrambling on rocks/steep snow, a dedicated AT boot is the way to go.
Dead-on assessment in my opinion. I purchased my first AT boot last year - Dynastar Radical. On the beefy side of dedicated AT boots, I guess, but I'm very impressed. I can't imagine spending all day and/or doing to many laps in the "cross-over" category with just the walk mode. I love how the Radical's buckles extend and how much flex and rotation I get in the cuff.

Side note: what do you call the category of 4 buckle alpine boots with tech binding pins? The Cochise, Lange XT, etc

@surfsnowgirl - as you get your legs and comfortable with your abilities consider the RASTA supported Brandon Gap area. It's just north of your home turf and a very reasonable spot to increase your skill set.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Dead-on assessment in my opinion. I purchased my first AT boot last year - Dynastar Radical. On the beefy side of dedicated AT boots, I guess, but I'm very impressed. I can't imagine spending all day and/or doing to many laps in the "cross-over" category with just the walk mode. I love how the Radical's buckles extend and how much flex and rotation I get in the cuff.

Side note: what do you call the category of 4 buckle alpine boots with tech binding pins? The Cochise, Lange XT, etc

@surfsnowgirl - as you get your legs and comfortable with your abilities consider the RASTA supported Brandon Gap area. It's just north of your home turf and a very reasonable spot to increase your skill set.

Thanks. I'm adding this to my list.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I purchased my first AT boot last year - Dynastar Radical. On the beefy side of dedicated AT boots, I guess, but I'm very impressed. I can't imagine spending all day and/or doing to many laps in the "cross-over" category with just the walk mode. I love how the Radical's buckles extend and how much flex and rotation I get in the cuff.

From what I have recently learned you can break down the new boots like this:

Alpine boots with walk mode, no pins: all major mfg's make a model in this catagory

Essentially alpine boots with walk mode and pins: Chochise, Lange XT free, ...... these don't have the greatest ROM and some friction on the uphill

Light alpine boots / Heavy AT boots with walk mode and pins: Dynafit Radical, Atomic Hawx XTD, Salomon Slab/Mtn, Technical Zero G Tour Pro ..... the weight varys some on these, but they do it all to varying degrees, and are mostly pretty new to the market. I tried on the Hawx and Slab/Mtn and they were friction free once in tour mode.

Light AT boots: Dynafits, Scarpa, lots of names I don't know. These are super on the up, friction free, huge ROM, hikable sole, but they loose a lot on the down to varying degrees. If you are a "backcountry skier" you will be in this catagory. If you want to use them in the resort and ski like an Alpine set up, you need to bump up a catagory or really slow down.

I don't know what catagory above would be labeled "cross over", maybe the almost alpine boot with walk mode and pins? or the next one down. The middle two are getting blurry with the new gear coming out.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Cochise 120 boot, winch is a bit lighter (adn softer) than the 130. Since I had the Intution liners from my previous Scarpa Maestrale RS, i put those in to save even more weight. This makes them quite reasonable in the weight department, you have to go full ultralight Randonnee boot to save big there.
They also have a rockerred, rubber AT sole available.
They tour about the same as my old Maestrale RS.
BUT, newer dedicated touring boots will still tour a lot better I believe.

I don’t know how the weight of the women’s Cochise compares.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is this ski any good?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302958711044

I'd repurpose the bindings. This could be a cheap way to get started

At 176 they a little tall for me but they might work. Then i'd just need bindings, boots and skins.

For touring you should err on the short side. Less weight and MUCH easier to deal with a shorter ski when making a kick turn in steep terrain.

Honestly downhill performance of the ski is not the most important thing when touring, what, this is pugski! blasphemy!. But the boots, bindings and the skins are pretty crucial. You will spend most of the time on snow going up. You can get a cheap ski that you know and trust. Think easy to ski in variable conditions in that 90-100mm width range give or take.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
For touring you should err on the short side. Less weight and MUCH easier to deal with a shorter ski when making a kick turn in steep terrain.

Honestly downhill performance of the ski is not the most important thing when touring, what, this is pugski! blasphemy!. But the boots, bindings and the skins are pretty crucial. You will spend most of the time on snow going up. You can get a cheap ski that you know and trust. Think easy to ski in variable conditions in that 90-100mm width range give or take.

Thanks. Ok so probably 165-170 for size then.

Sponsor

Staff online