• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
To those unfamiliar, the next time at a big Western resort you are so lucky to look down a long totally untracked slope of soft light dry cold fresh powder consider that feeling is what one can get after climbing up slopes, earning your turns. Consider how at most resorts in this era, one rarely will even get a chance to look down such a slope and if so will be in a hurry. Consider how unlike on a resort day, after one has made the effort, one can take all the time one wants to look at it, to relax, have a snack, take a picture, and wait till one is calm, to start what may be just a single run this day.

Making it simple but pricy (and will still need skins):

https://www.daymakertouring.com/products/chromemakers-3rd-edition

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BaseCamp Outfitters at the foot of the Killington Access road ( across the street from Killington Access road ) demo AT and tele gear. Closer than Stowe and Killington is still open. Also, if you go soon, you could skin Pico while there's still snow there. Pico is closed so you won't have downhillers to content with on your first skin.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
I do it to get away from the resort and out into the woods. Also to satisfy my appetite for skiing untracked snow.

PS. I live in CT
Ok, CT, so you're closer to Mt Washinton and Mt Katahdin then me. OTT you may as well be meadow skipping a free heel setup.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To those unfamiliar, the next time at a big Western resort you are so lucky to look down a long totally untracked slope of soft light dry cold fresh powder consider that feeling is what one can get after climbing up slopes, earning your turns. Consider how at most resorts in this era, one rarely will even get a chance to look down such a slope and if so will be in a hurry. Consider how unlike on a resort day, after one has made the effort, one can take all the time one wants to look at it, to relax, have a snack, take a picture, and wait till one is calm, to start what may be just a single run this day.

Making it simple but pricy (and will still need skins):

https://www.daymakertouring.com/products/chromemakers-3rd-edition
Easy for you to imagine from your desk in Si Valley, quite another from a desk in the NYC metropolitan area:(

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, CT, so you're closer to Mt Washinton and Mt Katahdin then me. OTT you may as well be meadow skipping a free heel setup.

I do classic xc round here in sw CT and Westchester County, NY.. Have skinned some Hudson Valley hills in big storms but otherwise the closest I really go for skinning is theThunderbolt trail on Mt. Greylock in MA. Actually moved from CT to NY about a year ago - only 9 miles west.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I do classic xc round here in sw CT and Westchester County, NY.. Have skinned some Hudson Valley hills in big storms but otherwise the closest I really go for skinning is theThunderbolt trail on Mt. Greylock in MA. Actually moved from CT to NY about a year ago - only 9 miles west.

I love western Mass. We're sorta neighbors, live in Fairfield, work in Greenwich on the border of port chester. If I had my druthers I'd live in western Mass or Vermont but I'm here for the time being. I'mm starting to think I might like the idea of walking with my skis attached to my back while in snow shoes. Would I still need AT boots or is that mainly if I'm skinning? Just thinking of different options for snow play.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You don't need AT boots for that, no. You will want some way to keep those boots warm while they're strapped to your back :D

Or are you talking of walking in the ski boots? That's just ...oof

Last edited:
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
You don't need AT boots for that, no. You will want some way to keep those boots warm while they're strapped to your back :D

No walking in ski boots, my feet would hate me, particularly my right foot. Noooooo, walking in whatever kind of shoes you wear when you snow shoe :). Backpack with boots inside staying warm with foot warmers in them?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No walking in ski boots, my feet would hate me, particularly my right foot. Noooooo, walking in whatever kind of shoes you wear when you snow shoe :). Backpack with boots inside staying warm with foot warmers in them?

Sure, have fun, get fit, enjoy the sunshine.

FWIW now is the time of year when 'skinning' to my ear means this.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You still gotta put the boots back on while outside in cold or out least chilly weather.:eek:

Carrying skis and boots on your back is a lot of weight whilst going uphill....just carrying skis is a workout.

Why don’t you just snowshoe up AND down? Running downhill in snowshoes with poles is a lot of fun. Way cheaper, too!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In another life, I’d like to be the people up here making tracks. (In THIS life, i would love the uphill journey, but not the downhill, ha. Sacrilege on here, I know ogsmile) Watched them from GMD the first clear morning after the storm at Alta at the Gathering. The really cool part was watching three people make the traverse to the left, then come down the chute.
3FB7E78F-353E-44DB-A9AD-8701C2CC72AD.jpeg

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Advice:
When just starting out Don’t worry about the skiing focus on learning to tour. Get gear that you can climb with efficiently. You will spend 80% of your time going up, if you don’t enjoy climbing up then the sport is not for you.

Tech bindings have a vastly better ergonomics for the stride compared to frame bindings in addition to being lighter.

Slide your feet forward, don’t lift the ski off the snow

Boot fit is as important as it is for alpine.

You can tour tele or at or split board. It’s basically the same, slight differences in gear. The differences are how you turn on the way down.

Don’t over use your heel lifts when climbing. It makes you less efficient.

Try to avoid kick turns when climbing. It’s better to just slowly turn.

Steeper climbs are more efficient, but don’t go anaerobic in the climbs. Climb blues not greens.

But practice snap kick turns. Google this and practice it.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skinning with heavy duty tele gear = running cross country in vintage tennis clothes.

Hey now, no need to bring classic fashion statements into this!

I'd put it more simply as hiking with 7 lb. ankle weights on. The good news is that it doesn't really detract from the uphill enjoyment unless your young and impatient, and significantly reduces flailing on the down.

Nothing to add for skinning recos, just reinforcement of easing in slowly: sunny days and low angle hikes at first - maximize possibilities for pleasant reinforcement, The bushwhacking, swearing and freezing rain can come later.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That’s cool! Now I have an idea how my carbon fiber SUP was made.
What are YOU skinning? (Sorry for thread hijack).

Current projects include old Elan lifter plates, a set of LEKI Lawisond poles, a set of vintage bamboo poles, and ...maybe, if I get to it... a skimo bootcuff

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Advice:
When just starting out Don’t worry about the skiing focus on learning to tour. Get gear that you can climb with efficiently. You will spend 80% of your time going up, if you don’t enjoy climbing up then the sport is not for you.

Tech bindings have a vastly better ergonomics for the stride compared to frame bindings in addition to being lighter.

Slide your feet forward, don’t lift the ski off the snow

Boot fit is as important as it is for alpine.

You can tour tele or at or split board. It’s basically the same, slight differences in gear. The differences are how you turn on the way down.

Don’t over use your heel lifts when climbing. It makes you less efficient.

Try to avoid kick turns when climbing. It’s better to just slowly turn.

Steeper climbs are more efficient, but don’t go anaerobic in the climbs. Climb blues not greens.

But practice snap kick turns. Google this and practice it.

Thanks. Definitely want to rent gear AND take a lesson. It's on my goal list for next season. Saving all this in my skinning file. I might throw a snowboard into the mix as an option since that was my first discipline in playing on snow. So many options.................

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will add that if you can't climb your mountain efficiently in summer with no snow you are not even close enough to being in shape to skin up it. There are plenty of folks that can ski all day but can't uphill a green due to fitness.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I will add that if you can't climb your mountain efficiently in summer with no snow you are not even close enough to being in shape to skin up it. There are plenty of folks that can ski all day but can't uphill a green due to fitness.

Fair enough. I will admit although I've walked down Killington and mount snow before, I've never walked up them. I'll put this on my list this summer as we are always at the mountains in the off season too. SO will be thrilled as he'd love to do this.

Sponsor

Staff online