• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the items I found this year was ‘kicker skins’. They go on much better & can fit in your pockets. The added benefit is that they allow a small degree of glide to occur.

I have kicker skins for my backcountry Nordic skis. They offer far more grip than wax or fish scales, but far less than full length skins.
Although they are indeed much easier to put on and off, I don’t consider them a viable option for (general) mountain use. Anything steep enough for DH skiing is to steep for kicker skins (and that’s comparing my nylon kickers skins with my mohair full length skins).

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I don't mean to restart an old thread but I have a question about waxing skins. I'm seeing that your skins should be waxed and I should carry some with just in case. I've seen the videos and it looks simple enough but nobody was saying anything about the wax itself to start the season! Do I use my regular all temp wax or do I really need a special wax?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't mean to restart an old thread but I have a question about waxing skins. I'm seeing that your skins should be waxed and I should carry some with just in case. I've seen the videos and it looks simple enough but nobody was saying anything about the wax itself to start the season! Do I use my regular all temp wax or do I really need a special wax?

I’m a fan of globstopper skin wax by BD. It’s mainly to keep snow from sticking to the skins in wet, fresh snow. Makes it impossible to glide and doubles the weight of your setup. Exhibit A:

1EF25994-CB7C-4E4F-B884-FE39B3ACF69B.jpeg

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@David , there is no problem with restarting an old thread. :beercheer:

I use the same wax on my skins that I use on my bases. Snow sticking to skins is pretty much a spring thing, so I'm typically rubbing a soft, warm temp wax on the skins.

David

Skier
Thanks everyone! So is there no need to wax for the entire winter like the videos I've seen are stating? I've been out a couple times when it was cold with no issues on new skins. I get the spring is stickier so more need.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is when your skins get moist/wet, which is generally a spring thing but it depends on current conditions. The fibers get moist, then when you go into colder snow - under the surface or in shade - it freezes and starts collecting snow.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone! So is there no need to wax for the entire winter like the videos I've seen are stating? I've been out a couple times when it was cold with no issues on new skins. I get the spring is stickier so more need.
New skins probably still have pretty decent water repellancy from the factory.
Warm, wet snow can hit any time, I managed to ice up my skis(no skins on at the time) on a below freezing day, mid February at Copper Mountain. Warming weather and sun must have created some meltwater under the snow that I hit, even though I never saw it.

I would say, once you have gone out a few times, preventively treat them with somthing, you never know what you are going to find out there.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
The problem is when your skins get moist/wet, which is generally a spring thing but it depends on current conditions. The fibers get moist, then when you go into colder snow - under the surface or in shade - it freezes and starts collecting snow.
And the opposite can happen as well, just last week when I did this mountain I had to stay in the shadow lines on the ascent. When I got into sunshine... immediate glop.
IMG_20200226_103804915_HDR.jpg
OTOH, it my have been tree sap.
IMG_20200226_101312090_HDR.jpg

David

Skier
I'm in the midwest where our snow has a lot of moisture but plan to be in the Rockies every year as well. Any preferences between a hard block wax I need to melt in & sprayons?

Sponsor

Staff online