• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have the Hawk Ultra XTD's and I find the liner is much less "plush"

120s or 130s? The 120s have a noticeably better liner.

And both liners are getting significant improvements next year.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the 130's with the really light weight orange liner. Bought them at the beginning of this season.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Salomon Shift Mnc 13 Ski Binding 100mm.

Might buy these. I plan to do some snow shoeing uphill with skis on my back but also might skin up from bottom. I believe these bindings will will allow me to use my alpine boots. This would minimize the expense and my feet would be alot happier.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon Shift Mnc 13 Ski Binding 100mm.

Might buy these. I plan to do some snow shoeing uphill with skis on my back but also might skin up from bottom. I believe these bindings will will allow me to use my alpine boots. This would minimize the expense and my feet would be alot happier.

They’ll allow you to ski them in your alpine boots, but they require a pin style toe to hike with.

Edited to add: A frame style binding is what you’ll need to fully be able to hike and ski with regular alpine boots (e.g. Marker Baron, Tyrolia Adrenaline, etc.)

Last edited:
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
They’ll allow you to ski them in your alpine boots, but they require a pin style toe to hike with.

Edited to add: A frame style binding is what you’ll need to fully be able to hike and ski with regular alpine boots (e.g. Marker Baron, Tyrolia Adrenaline, etc.)

I don't plan on hiking in them ever. I will have snow shoes on or hiking shoes and ski boots will be in a backpack.

Are you saying these bindings won't work.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The Shift bindings work with straight alpine boots for skiing. They require pin fittings in the boots to tour with them. That is what sets them apart from all other bindings that tour.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I don't plan on hiking in them ever. I will have snow shoes on or hiking shoes and ski boots will be in a backpack.

You can ski Shifts with an alpine boot just fine. They are compatible. Just overkill if you don't intend to touring with them ever.

Shifts do require a pin-tech compatible boot in order to tour with them.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

They’ll work just fine for that.

Just curious...why spend extra money on the Shifts if you don’t plan on hiking with them? (I’m assuming even at a great deal, they will be more expensive then a regular binding).

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
They’ll work just fine for that.

Just curious...why spend extra money on the Shifts if you don’t plan on hiking with them? (I’m assuming even at a great deal, they will be more expensive then a regular binding).

Fair enough. I will see what the final price is but it's a real good deal. I can't rule out skinning up with them so if I got these for a good price it might make sense.

Otherwise I will just go with a cheaper binding

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just want to clarify that if you don’t have pin-compatible boots and don’t plan on getting them, there is no point in getting Shifts, unless your extra disposable income is annoying you. You will not be able to tour/skin unless you have pin-compatible boots. Your regular alpine boots will not be able to utilize the touring feature.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Fair enough. I will see what the final price is but it's a real good deal. I can't rule out skinning up with them so if I got these for a good price it might make sense.

Otherwise I will just go with a cheaper binding

To skin up with the Shift, you'd need new boots. That puts 'great' deal into a new perspective.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
To skin up with the Shift, you'd need new boots. That puts 'great' deal into a new perspective.

Very true which is why I haven't done it yet. I may start out just snow shoeing up or hiking up in hiking shoes. Who know if the skinning part will happen. That may be a down the road thing. These bindings would allow me to get started in some capacity with the smallest amount of money.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just want to clarify that if you don’t have pin-compatible boots and don’t plan on getting them, there is no point in getting Shifts, unless your extra disposable income is annoying you. You will not be able to tour/skin unless you have pin-compatible boots. Your regular alpine boots will not be able to utilize the touring feature.

True but I will be able to snow shoe up with skis strapped to my back. I suppose another option will be just to grab any of my skis for the hike as I don't need the shifts for that.

It seems the shifts won't be
gaining me anything.

I have the 2016 model of these boots.

http://www.skiessentials.com/2019-r...AHp_TdsQ1JWt_1tC_6reZ3fEVjvXZtshoCIIgQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My boots appear to work as they have interchangeable WTR soles

https://www.powder.com/stories/an-explanation-of-boot-and-binding-compatibility/

Grip Walk: Similar to the Walk to Ride system, Grip Walk boots will not work with all traditional Alpine bindings, but will align with WTR, MNC, and Grip Walk certified systems. An example here would be the Head Kore1 (Grip Walk) boot with a Salomon Shift binding (MNC).

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I will hold off on the shifts for now because I don't even have a pair of skis to put them on. I guess I won't worry about the skinning part of it. I will just hike up with what I have and if I am finding a void then I'll consider what changes I need to make to skin. In the mean time I'm getting new alpine boots in the fall and will try on a pair of techica cochises to see how my feet like those as that will streamline things for me I believe.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
After some offline conversations I'm going to go with my current boots, frame bindings and some skins.

I will also do some hiking up in instances where the lower mountain has dirt but other than that I now know what I need.

I will still have to pick which skis will be the lucky recipient of the frame bindings but I have time.

Thanks to everyone for their input

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very true which is why I haven't done it yet. I may start out just snow shoeing up or hiking up in hiking shoes. Who know if the skinning part will happen. That may be a down the road thing. These bindings would allow me to get started in some capacity with the smallest amount of money.
And the shifts will not ski as well or last as long as an Alpine binding.