• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Monster 88 is one of our reference skis in the catagory, truly a stellar ski, IMHO the beauty is in the simplicity of the design...as the the Monster 83. As good as the current Monsters are, the upcoming 18/19 models are acutally better, hard to beleive but they are.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Could have sworn I saw somewhere, possible @Philpug's review that the Z-90 was surprisingly good in the bumps. I guess I misread that if HS and MJP seem to give it poor marks there. I'd agree I don't like the fatter tailed skis I've tried on bumps, but if soft and round enough I might like something I haven't tried yet in that regard..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Could have sworn I saw somewhere, possible @Philpug's review that the Z-90 was surprisingly good in the bumps. I guess I misread that if HS and MJP seem to give it poor marks there. I'd agree I don't like the fatter tailed skis I've tried on bumps, but if soft and round enough I might like something I haven't tried yet in that regard..
Where I also tend to prefer more taper in the tail, I had no problem with the Z90 in the bumps.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

As for me, I often end up on something long and fattish in the bumps, so 174 and 90 is easy in comparison, wide tail or not.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Where I also tend to prefer more taper in the tail, I had no problem with the Z90 in the bumps.

There is a difference between "have no problem" and good in the bumps. I "have no problem with" just about any good ski in the bumps getting through them, all day long. Yes, after a fresh morning I'm also usually on something mid 80s plus in the leftovers and bumps. But many are not what I'd call "good" in the bumps..

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Monster 88 is one of our reference skis in the catagory, truly a stellar ski, IMHO the beauty is in the simplicity of the design...as the the Monster 83. As good as the current Monsters are, the upcoming 18/19 models are acutally better, hard to beleive but they are.
I don't feel the 83. Got one on a good deal, skied it a bit, I just can't quite seem to be able to find its niche... 88s are awesome!

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I don't feel the 83. Got one on a good deal, skied it a bit, I just can't quite seem to be able to find its niche... 88s are awesome!

I'm trying to figure out where an 88 fits into my quiver given the presence of BOTH a 178 and 186 MTN 95.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

the new Monster 83 is a fantastic ski

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
the new Monster 83 is a fantastic ski
I got on that at Mammoth and was blown away by how much fun it was.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
** right! Head is putting out some very good skis. Off topic I know but the V8 & V10 are also some of the top ski's I clicked into.

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
@Philpug
Recommended Line = 795mm
Sunday's Test = 780mm
Next Weekend's Test = 770mm

As a follow up, I skied the 770 mount point today and while it did not alter how the tail reacted, it made the tip engagement a bit ambiguous compared with the 780 mount point. I think ski preferred to be skied at the 780 spot as that seemed to put me easily over the sweet spot in the middle of the ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will try 780 also and see how that is.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
Today I took my new (to me) z90s out for the first time. I like them though it will take some adjusting to ski them well. They felt smooth.

I am a lower intermediate skier out on groomed green and some blue terrain.

On fresh groomed not very steep terrain they were amazingly easy to put on edge and do nice wide s turns steadily. They felt good. I was smiling.

When I went on steeper narrower bumpier terrain I found it hard to control speed and get them to do narrow turns easily, but they seemed to flex over the bumps more gracefully than my stiffer volkls (flair 81). It surprised me how they seemed to accept the bump and move on.

Note the z90's ive gone up in length from eye level on my flairs to just over my head on the z90s. This is likely impacting my experience.

Compared to my flairs the front end feels lighter and i had no trouble managing the front tips (sometimes when i am tired in my flairs my front tips get caught in each other and feel heavy)
But it is harder to do a hockey stop and manage the back end.

Usually at end of day the reason I have to quit is my knees hurt. Today i quit because my hamstrings were sore. Knees feel good. Happy to have happy knees but worried my stance may be off why would my hamstrings hurt?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One is an early-season rock ski. :duck:

VIST will be hard to find... Black Crows are one I had a shot to demo about a week ago and passed it up... I guess I can swing by the shop and grab a pair.

I'd like to second the Black Crows Orb, but in a specific length, 183.4, in this case a "sweet spot" length, at least for me - maybe somewhat like the 188/30 FIS GS ski, over the 183/30. The next shorter Orb, maybe 177, was good as more of a bump ski, but the real standout was that longer one (me 150, 5"10").

(Note: I also loved the Monster 88, but have only tried the version before they changed it.)

The Orb is unlike all the other Black Crows skis, I was told repeatedly. For one thing, it's stiffer, designed for advanced to experts.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Into my 3rd season on the Z-90's. These skis are ridiculously good. Are they the best at everything?... NO.. are they an awesome 1 ski quiver for the east coast.. I think, YES!

I can't rock the moguls, and zipper line it, but I can kind of hit anything on the mountain with these skis and feel confident that I have the right ski for the job.

Now, I'm heading to Utah next month, and while I feel that my Z-90s will perform as expected, I'm wondering if I should Demo if we get hit with 8+"? ...

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Into my 3rd season on the Z-90's. These skis are ridiculously good. Are they the best at everything?... NO.. are they an awesome 1 ski quiver for the east coast.. I think, YES!

I can't rock the moguls, and zipper line it, but I can kind of hit anything on the mountain with these skis and feel confident that I have the right ski for the job.

Now, I'm heading to Utah next month, and while I feel that my Z-90s will perform as expected, I'm wondering if I should Demo if we get hit with 8+"? ...

I am in Utah right now skiing on Rossi E88s and they are great for the conditions. Unless we get 12” + I will probably stay on them.

Sponsor