• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug
Recommended Line = 795mm
Sunday's Test = 780mm
Next Weekend's Test = 770mm

I'm in a 285mm boot, so my BoF is considerably further back than where a normal adult sized boot would be when mounted the same distance back.
I didn't do BoB, I did boot center. When I get home from SnowBasin, I will let you know where we have them mounted.

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I didn't do BoB, I did boot center. When I get home from SnowBasin, I will let you know where we have them mounted.

The measurements I gave are boot center. BSL was just for reference as I recall our boots are 1-2 sizes apart.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The measurements I gave are boot center. BSL was just for reference as I recall our boots are 1-2 sizes apart.
I am in a 293mm, we can work off of that. I just went into the archives, I have the 180 mounted boot center at 31 1/4" from the tail.

Does the Z90 have a flaired tail? Yep. and I for one like it. But as @HeluvaSkier reiterates, "one ski does not fit all", there are respected members that are gaga over the ski and other ones that are not fans and all that is fine.
@Alexzn,
All that said, I think my experience plays into what @Philpug says frequently... something along the lines of "there aren't many bad skis, but there are a lot of wrong skis." For how I ski, this isn't the right ski, but it is obviously the right ski for a lot of people based on how they ski. Given that you like a lot of the skis that I gravitate away from, probably indicates we ski differently... and based on this review, I'd wager there is a good chance you'd fall in love with the Z-90.

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Two Blossom White Out 176's? Looks like you're 1 over the limit , I'll be happy to take one of those off your hands. ogsmile

One is an early-season rock ski. :duck:

... heh, so I have a couple of wide tailed skis, eh?

My loss, your gain... both are sweet skis... Especially that Salomon setup... I miss that one, but not its tail.

I would be interested to read your take on the Z 77's if you ever get the chance. I do not think I would ever own a Z 90 but the Z 77's would be an option for me in the east.

If I get the opportunity I'll ski a Z-77, however it wouldn't be a ski that I would consider purchasing as I have A LOT of Blossoms in the 77mm waist range. The width I'm missing in the quiver is the 85-90mm range.

In the 85-90mm waist width ranges and based on what I think you would like, you may want to try the Black Crow Orb (122-91-109) and Vist Ottanta7 (123-87-110, from the same mold of Blossom Cardio, but with 2 thin layers of titanal!).

VIST will be hard to find... Black Crows are one I had a shot to demo about a week ago and passed it up... I guess I can swing by the shop and grab a pair.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My verdict on this ski:
Renoun used construction quality normally reserved for hand-made race skis and put it into a shape that would blow the minds of the general population of skiers. I give them kudos for that. However, in doing so, the shape of the ski left me underwhelmed, disappointed and wishing they hadn't handicapped the performance of the ski... It is like they took a thoroughbred race horse out of the stable, but instead of letting it run, they have it doing trail rides and towing a hay wagon for tourists. Because the ski is so well-made and the internals so well thought-out, the performance envelope would be HUGE, if they shaved 5-10mm of width off the tail of the ski [and perhaps offered a size up... or maybe we are talking about a different ski now]. Either way, Renoun has the chops to build a ski like that... they just... didn't. To me, it feels like the first draft of a ski that if built with the right dimensions could have almost no limitations to its performance and still be able to blow the minds of the tourists. The only problem if Renoun did that is that I'd then have to buy a pair, because that ski would be truly bad-ass.

So, I came away knowing exactly why everyone raves about this ski... It construction and attention to detail that skis for the masses never see. For most skiers on this ski, it probably is one-of, if not THE best ski they have ever skied on. In terms of quality it is a step above most all-mountain skis I've been on with the exception of maybe Blossom. It is well-made with dimensions that any weekend warrior can hop on and feel like a hero. A bad ski? Not even close... most skiers I know would be blown away by the ski, because of how they would ski it. Unfortunately it isn't for me.

They designed these to be a Swiss Army ski to include very good bump terrain performance. Any more fine tuning for hard core carving and ice hold would take away from the supple, somewhat forgiving, easy engage and disengage characteristics needed for a ski to handle well in the bumps wouldn't it?

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
They designed these to be a Swiss Army ski to include very good bump terrain performance. Any more fine tuning for hard core carving and ice hold would take away from the supple, somewhat forgiving, easy engage and disengage characteristics needed for a ski to handle well in the bumps wouldn't it?

I didn't suggest they compromised performance on-piste to deliver performance off-piste. I said nothing of the sort. In fact, I said the flex characteristics, edge hold, and ability to carve the ski were are phenomenal (which is why the ski could be so great)... I said they compromised overall top-end performance on all terrain for ease-of-use by skiers who, generally, are not forward when they ski. Even if the pilot is skiing from the back seat and really only using the bottom half of the turn, the ski still turns easily. This means that skiers who are forward when they ski, have to adjust how they ski when on this type of ski. A skier who is forward and knows how to pilot a ski into the top of a turn will be left with a ski that overturns and doesn't release/disengage in the bottom of the turn across all terrain. One of the worst qualities that an off-piste performer can have is that the tails hang up on terrain when the skier doesn't want them to - which is exactly what the Z-90 tail does. The tails are constantly driving the tips in and out of turns versus the tips pulling the tails in and out of turns. The difference in attainable performance is meaningful for those who can tell the difference.

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Wow , I'm even more impressed with your quiver now when you can spare a Blossom as your rock ski. ogsmile

Lol... for awhile I had a Hart Stage 1 (Pulse) (Blossom) that I obtained through Phil years ago, as my rock ski... but sadly I broke one of them. :(

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@HeluvaSkier you own a 184cm Monster 98, have you tried the Monster 88 for a ski around 90 in width?

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
@HeluvaSkier you own a 184cm Monster 98, have you tried the Monster 88 for a ski around 90 in width?

I have not skied it yet, but it is toward the top of the list... If I decide to add something in this waist range it will be one of the following I think: Fischer Pro MTN 86, Head Monster 88, Blossom Cross Wind... I don't think I can go wrong with any of them given I own slightly wider or narrower variants of each.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@HeluvaSkier, I just skied the Z90 today and funny, as the resident intermediate tester, I had the same overall feeling about the tail of the ski.
They kind of kicked my ass, truthfully. But the tail is what made them very difficult for me to ski.
I could feel the dampening for sure.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

IMH actual experience, the tail was wider than I'd prefer for steep bumps. It does quite well on groomers and is a nice all around ski, particularly for folks who are either 'narrowing down' western skiers or 'fattening up' easterners looking for a western travel ski.

Heluva, grab the 18-19 monster 88 for an interesting comparison. Go .5 - 1.0 forward.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Alexzn, Thanks for the comments.

Most of my testing was on groomers with a bit in some wet manky nasty crud-like 3-D snow... The un-groomed stuff had been rained on, and some nasty dirt and rocks were showing... Despite the snow not being much fun to ski, I didn't want to wreck my buddies $1,400 pair of skis. The tail still hung up though. I ski off-piste pretty similar to how I ski on-piste, so that is certainly a factor in my experience. Recall, I'm a Fischer guy, but that I ditched two pairs of the Motive 95 (one of the best, well-liked 95-waist skis of recent history) for the same reason. It is a great ski, but I didn't 'love' it. I do love the new MTN, which is almost the same ski as the Motive, with 5mm more width in the tip... go figure.

All that said, I think my experience plays into what @Philpug says frequently... something along the lines of "there aren't many bad skis, but there are a lot of wrong skis." For how I ski, this isn't the right ski, but it is obviously the right ski for a lot of people based on how they ski. Given that you like a lot of the skis that I gravitate away from, probably indicates we ski differently... and based on this review, I'd wager there is a good chance you'd fall in love with the Z-90.

Looking at my list of skis that I ski regularly (below)... there isn't a single one that shares a similar shape with the Z-90 and I don't think that is a coincidence.

I have not had a chance to ski the z90 yet, so can’t comment on whether I love it or not :) the other Renouns I tried I really liked the damping and the way they feel, but I was not generally crazy about their shapes. I love my Kastle FX95HP off piste and in mixed snow, but I don’t consider it a carving machine. Thus, so far our impressions actually jive fairly well. The exception is the Enforcer 93,I really liked it on hard-ish snow. Of course no freeride/all mountain ski can hold a candle to the energy and grip of real race skis, and since I now ski on those semi regularly, I can and do appreciate the difference.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A few have talked about moving the mounting back from the manufacture's recommended location. Has anyone tried moving it forward, of the recommended location?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IMH actual experience, the tail was wider than I'd prefer for steep bumps. It does quite well on groomers and is a nice all around ski, particularly for folks who are either 'narrowing down' western skiers or 'fattening up' easterners looking for a western travel ski.

Yeah, I have settled on a travel quiver of the Z-90 and Volkl 100Eight, and it is really perfect. Need to sell some stuff ...

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Heluva, grab the 18-19 monster 88 for an interesting comparison. Go .5 - 1.0 forward.

I'm very tempted to just buy a Monster 88... I do think there is a pair at my local shop for demo. I ski my 98 right on the suggested line I think...

Sponsor

Staff online