• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The reason why that new bike feels awful.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I always laugh when they say "he's pedalling squares..'. Then I'm getting destroyed on a climb two hours in and I begrudgingly realize I'm pedalling squares... :roflmao:

TS
Bendu

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
I have to laugh when I ever see someone on a new bike with their arms out straight and their ass hanging off the back.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Look how many people are skiing a modern ski like they were still on straight skis.

Great video, I cannot wait to try this next time out. Eye opening.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's OK - pretty much everyone's riding style gets more old fashioned the more tired they are.

Truth. Reminds me of a very honest review I read on one of the new-style Yetis (SB 130 or 150). The summary was "is it faster, yes, but only if ridden in an exhausting style".

FWIW, staying a bit more forward like he says is good. The elbows WAY out there is dead already.

TS
Bendu

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
Is it exhausting because it is exhausting? or is it exhausting because its just a new way of moving?

it should be noted that new style bikes pretty much require you to get the seat out of the way to ride it. Since the balance point is more forward and it places the seat right where you need to be while cornering and descending. This will feel more tiring as first especially if you are someone who squeezes their seat with your legs, instead of balancing on your feet and using your core. Which I would imagine would be way more tiring than going slower, steering the bike around, and using the seat for support at first, and may take a long time to acclimate to new movement patterns.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's very interesting. As someone who hasn't been on a bike newer than an early 90's Stumpjumper I'm hoping when I FINALLY get a bike I won't have to worry about any left over muscle memory. Learning to ski modern equipment was a challenge.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That's very interesting. As someone who hasn't been on a bike newer than an early 90's Stumpjumperhoping when I FINALLY get a bike I won't have to worry about any left over muscle memory.

I wasn't really talking about muscle memory above as much as the completely natural reflex of extending one's arms and riding more upright when one's tired. Which puts both old schooler and newbie in the old school cornering geo as shown in the video.

That fatigue propensity is also why one shouldn't buy into road bike fit algorithms without first answering the question "How long is my target event?".

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Full disclosure - I am not a mountain biker but am a dirt biker (ktm 300 xcw). Iwatched the video because I wanted to see if it had any tips for me on a modern dirt bike. Almost all was directly applicable particularly the cornering technique weighting the front wheel. Thanks to Bendu for posting the video

TS
Bendu

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
I think Dirt bikes have always been more like modern mountain bikes with slack head angles, long front centers and no raised saddle in the way.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
To be fair, it depends on your riding as well. Many people think Enduro is normal riding..some people are still doing long dirt road climbs with some minor off-road. So pick the right horse for the course.

TS
Bendu

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
long dirt road climbs with minor off roading isnt really mountain biking.

Also how would the new geometry hurt you there?

TS
Bendu

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
So the new geometry doesnt hurt you there? Can you think of what specifics about how a new bike is built would make it not as good at climbing dirt road or "minor" off roading?

When climbing dirt roads the really steep seat angles should keep you in a way more comfortable position than the old slacker seat tube angles.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Somehow, I seem to have learned things the correct way. :yeah:
Maybe because I haven't been riding long enough on real trails to have any hard to break habits. My brain is usually my biggest hindrance. OK, and cornering to the right.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Somehow, I seem to have learned things the correct way. :yeah:
Maybe because I haven't been riding long enough on real trails to have any hard to break habits.

Well......you're also riding a bike that hasn't gone off the deep end of new school geometry.

JUST enough, in my opinion.

Sponsor

Staff online