• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Since A-Basin has started making snow (https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/09/21/arapahoe-basin-starting-snowmaking/196138/), I figured it was time for the annual threads.... So ladies, and gentleman....

upload_2018-10-1_19-57-57.png

Who's going to be the first to open?

My guess is Loveland on October 12th.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-1_19-57-22.png
    upload_2018-10-1_19-57-22.png
    529.3 KB · Views: 10

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Woah, that's an awfully quick turnaround, they haven't even started making snow at LL and no natural snow predicted until late this week.

I'm going with Abasin on October 17. I'll be in the UK which is typical for opening week.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Loveland
Tuesday the 16th
Be there. Aloha.
(You probably won’t get the last obscure homage, unless you were alive and kicking in the 60s and 70s).

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today, I woke up to this.

mike's house.jpg

Not bad for the city of Calgary.

There is a fair bit of snow above 24/2500 meters in Kananaskis and Lake Louise. Unfortunately, the resorts haven't started making snow so I doubt they will open early.

But Nakiska is aiming for November 3 and Sunshine and Louise should be November 9. With lots of cold in the forecast, I am hoping for a fuller opening.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
With Arapahoe Basin and Loveland each forecast to get 13" of snow in the next 10 days, I wonder if they are considering pushing up their opening dates? Starting this weekend, they are going to have at least a week of temperatures below or just above freezing. At this moment, I wish that I lived in Colorado. We are still quite a ways away from snow over here on the East Coast :(, although the leaves changing color is perhaps the most beautiful time of year in New England :D. I am hoping to get a couple more hikes in.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I drove by Loveland yesterday on my way to Eagle. It looked like they had some snowmaking equipment staged on the hill but there wasn't a snowflake to be seen anywhere. It was raining in the afternoon the second time I passed there on my way home.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I wonder if they are considering pushing up their opening dates?

Neither area sets an "opening date" until they announce their opening date. Both are simply "as early as possible". ABasin typically a week or so before Loveland. Not because they have better weather (which is near identical) but because Abasin needs to cover a bunch less ground than Loveland. And in my experience Abasin is more OK with a few shrubs / rocks poking through.

Loveland also splits their resources making their public WROD and a private WROD for race teams.

My guess is Abasin in the 19th. Loveland on the 26th. Next friday could be possible... but they may worry about potential for melt in last few weeks of Oct. Once that forecast gets a bit firmed up, we will likely see an announcement by the end of next week.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With Arapahoe Basin and Loveland each forecast to get 13" of snow in the next 10 days, I wonder if they are considering pushing up their opening dates? Starting this weekend, they are going to have at least a week of temperatures below or just above freezing.

Last year on October 2 they reported 14" in 48 hours with 3" more in the next 24 hours. They still didn't open until October 20. I don't think they are currently predicting anything about when they'll be able to open.

https://skiloveland.com/snowmaking-operations/

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Rose is shooting for October 26th. I'll be WAY behind the curve by then!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The dark, dark horse from the east...is Killington getting the guns out yet?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Still too warm - Killington forecast is to not go below 40 degrees at the base at all for about the next 2 weeks, with highs in the 50's and 60's (and a 71 on the 10th!).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is moisture from the sky in Reno! Clear, but still moisture! Look out Colorado, here we come!

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Of course not because unlike last year where I had two quick trips west scheduled for the fall, this year I am stuck on the east coast. Therefore, Abasin will open on the 18th of October and Killington will likely stay dry 'till mid December. Just to thwart me, because Murphy(of Law fame) hates me.

P.S. Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier

I wish :)! I'm going to try and save the Killington days on my Ikon Base until the Spring, so I'm hoping that Loon and Stratton aren't too far behind Killington when it finally comes time to make snow. Although neither is on the Ikon Pass, last year Mount Snow and Okemo I thought did a particularly good job getting terrain open early.

Sponsor