• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem is that they have not mailed out our IKON passes yet. The have had my money for 6 months. Wonder why they are waiting to the last minute? Called them and said they are working on it.
Not that I can make opening day, but I've not received my new RFID Killington season pass either. I could pick it up at guest services according to the website. Are they going to mail it next week? When?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So...it’s a three-way tie for 2nd place?

I still give it to Wolf Creek. They were the first to open for lift-served operations, period. If you want to put other conditions such as remain open continuously for daily operations, well then that’s a separate thread with a longer title.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier

I still give it to Wolf Creek. They were the first to open for lift-served operations, period. If you want to put other conditions such as remain open continuously for daily operations, well then that’s a separate thread with a longer title.
That, and by making it be continuous operations (if that is a normal thing for your resort in the first place), you are immediately disqualifying places that aren't near a large population base that can sustain a surprise early start. Like Wolf Creek. Which has enough snow to open continuously, it just wouldn't make any financial sense at all.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That, and by making it be continuous operations (if that is a normal thing for your resort in the first place), you are immediately disqualifying places that aren't near a large population base that can sustain a surprise early start. Like Wolf Creek. Which has enough snow to open continuously, it just wouldn't make any financial sense at all.

Yes, I am disqualifying them. I'm OK with that.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You people from DC sure pick winners in a funny way.
Wolf Creek opens for weekend skiing Oct 13 and Oct 14 - Doesn’t count
Killington opens for the season before A-Basin on Oct 19 - Doesn’t count
A-Basin for the surprise win moving from third to first opening Oct 19 - Counts

Wow, are you also warming up to count votes on Nov 6th?

You are correct that I made a mistake. Looks like several places are opening tomorrow - Friday the 19th... so there's a 3 ways tie (assuming they all stay open) IMO... Killington, A-Basin, and Rose.

And no use warming up to count votes... the actual voting doesn't matter anyway. ;):D:eek:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier

The more I think about this (because I clearly don't have anything better to do) we really do need separate categories.

First to open - Wolf Creek
First to open continuously* - Killington / Sunday River / Arapahoe Basin / Mount Rose (ordered by opening time, of course some are in different time zones)

* As someone else mentioned, we can tentatively declare this category now, but need to be aware that if one of these mountain closes within some time frame, this award is taken away

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You are correct that I made a mistake. Looks like several places are opening tomorrow - Friday the 19th... so there's a 3 ways tie (assuming they all stay open) IMO... Killington, A-Basin, and Rose.

Throw Sunday River into the mix...

F6F12DAE-8391-4DDA-A77C-900EB4CB8DFC.jpeg

TheHitman

Putting on skis
Skier
I also think the Basin will be nuts and probably all weekend. The weather is suppose to be really nice so I'm betting at least some of those Epic Passes will be put to good use. @TheHitman you could head to A Basin mid morning on Fri and ski and then the middle of next June make closing day. Your 1st season in CO you would have opening and closing day covered and Oct. thru June :D?

It's tempting. I may do it.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The most amazing part of that - It's natural snow.

Well, Wolf does that.

Really nobody else opens off piste terrain this way - they’ve done it in the past with less cover. Most places are a lot more conservative.

This was a really good cycle for Oct. A lot of people got the goods.

0F09F849-4479-40B9-84F0-A635071BB8F4.png

In that regard, I think it’s hard to get too excited about a weekend opening where the minimal coverage is tracked out, since natural snow doesn’t tend to hold up to skier traffic to set a repeatably skiable base.

This is one of those totally irrelevant things, but personally I am way more excited to ski excellent groomed terrain than obvious shark territory in Oct. So I think the continuous operations standard is what really matters to people along with the quality.

As far as renaming this thread Luv vs. A-Basin, the number of opening announcements for tomorrow means that makes no sense. Loveland is getting beat by a bunch by a day, but due to vert (1K), length of run (1 mile), quality of snow, and ability to ski full out due to very low skier density, the quality is very high.

And that’s of course the question: what does it mean to be open if it sucks and is mostly just a gimmick for advertising?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mt. Rose will not be a continuous opening, they will be open this weekend then I imagine after next week, which was to be their original opening date, they will stay open past that.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oops... looks like we're down to Killington and A-Basin then.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Rose also says they will be opening with an 8-12”
Base. I dunno...that sounds sketchy?

Loveland and A-Basin both have a standard of minimum 18” depth with tree to tree coverage, which of course means these are good groomers that will stand up to skier traffic and not WRODs.

What I wonder is if A-Basin is trying to open top to bottom skiing given the natural coverage on the upper mountain. That’s 1,700’ of vert and seems quickly doable so long as overnight temps remain conducive.