• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...I could make Hillington first to open in North America with another load of Reddy Ice. I have two lift chairs now.

So buy that definition of lift served and being able to close a few hours later, I would win.

It's only "lift served" if the chairs actually move uphill in some fashion. :cool:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Meh, I think that 'first to open' is invalidated if you are also the first to close. Wolf Creek is doing something more like a 'soft open.'

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Meh. Killington did a post storm opening to be first a few years ago and then couldn’t resume ops for a material amount of time.
Killington did open with amazing top to bottom skiing on our best terrain for three magical days six years ago in October. Sigh!! Brutal warmth that followed melted every flake. Last five seasons since we have remained open from day one until the May schedule kicks in.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I didn't even think about Wolf Creek when I started this thread! :doh:

Still - very cool that they're opening!! Is @Jeff N still local there?

I am, but ski a lot more Purgatory for lots of reasons.

This is roughly the 5th pre-halloween opening in the past decade for Wolf. The weekend schedule is more about the total lack of a local population and needing to staff up rather than concern about a melt-off. If they open early, they operate weekends until they reach the scheduled opening day. Remember we are in the middle of nowhere and an October weekend will draw 150 skiers.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I've been to Wolf Creek when they went from bare ground to 100% open in one storm. Let's just say it takes a bit of "honey badger doesn't give a ..." attitude.
After a big pitch, I plopped down theatrically into the powder, only to wind up sitting on a tree stump. That was an eye opener. Still, on balance, I like the "you are grown ups, make your own decisions about how much coverage is skiable" attitude.

Yep, it is more or less a tradition to drink beer and then drop into a bowl with 15" of powder topping a scree field. You tell yourself if you just stand on your heels it will be fine. Tips up! :roflmao:

Reactions: nay

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I've been to Wolf Creek when they went from bare ground to 100% open in one storm. Let's just say it takes a bit of "honey badger doesn't give a ..." attitude.
After a big pitch, I plopped down theatrically into the powder, only to wind up sitting on a tree stump. That was an eye opener. Still, on balance, I like the "you are grown ups, make your own decisions about how much coverage is skiable" attitude.

Yep, it is more or less a tradition to drink beer and then drop into a bowl with 15" of powder topping a scree field. You tell yourself if you just stand on your heels it will be fine. Tips up! :roflmao:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Whichever way we want to look at it, with the snow this weekend and cold temps, A-Basin will be able to open by next weekend if they want to.

32FF9691-0DA6-4732-819C-987AF336DC11.png

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the opposite side of things, where I live in Fairbanks Alaska just broke a 98 year record for the latest day of no snow fall.. and still none in the forecast. Guess we are making up for the fantastic season last year and earliest opening of local areas by like 2 weeks.

Reactions: nay

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@ Big Salad and Side Salad were at Wolf Creek this past weekend! :yahoo:

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no idea what this means, but it sounds healthy ogsmile.
Heh...It's definitely good for you!

He's a part of the Colorado crew, doesn't post a lot here, but was part of the Pugski Goes to Japan group. He spends a fair amount of time at WC.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Well, Wolf Creek will close again after this weekend.

Open means not closing again so the race to be first to open for the season is still on.

My current bet is A-abasin on Thursday the 18th. Good snowmaking overnight temps this weekend before it warms up again.
Went up there before the opening on Friday for a couple of skin laps. It was good. I was able to hit the face without finding a single rock, which is impressive as it is a major scree slope.

You can hate on it if you want, but the main reason for closing during the week is that they are short-staffed for such an early start, and they would assuredly lose money because all of 12 people would show up on a Monday in October. If the population base were nearby to justify it, I have to believe they would open 7 days a week.

Also, your comment on the Reddy Ice is silly. They have 100% natural snow. It's not a gimmick for them to open like this, it is legit. I'd go so far as to say the WROD that A-Basin puts out every October is more akin to your example.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Went up there before the opening on Friday for a couple of skin laps. It was good. I was able to hit the face without finding a single rock, which is impressive as it is a major scree slope.

You can hate on it if you want, but the main reason for closing during the week is that they are short-staffed for such an early start, and they would assuredly lose money because all of 12 people would show up on a Monday in October. If the population base were nearby to justify it, I have to believe they would open 7 days a week.

Also, your comment on the Reddy Ice is silly. They have 100% natural snow. It's not a gimmick for them to open like this, it is legit. I'd go so far as to say the WROD that A-Basin puts out every October is more akin to your example.

I’m not hating on it, it’s awesome. Just applying some absurd logic on what is really “open” for continous operations.

Reddy Ice is silly, but it is also a real run at Hillington and based on my ski chair lotto 1.000 batting average this summer it could become lift served.

Just sayin’ ogwink.

31C57F51-B6A1-4708-B745-467AFD8599D4.jpeg
55169E0B-C8EB-44CA-B85A-290B5D61122F.jpeg

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
I’m not hating on it, it’s awesome. Just applying some absurd logic on what is really “open” for continous operations.

Reddy Ice is silly, but it is also a real run at Hillington and based on my ski chair lotto 1.000 batting average this summer it could become lift served.

Just sayin’ ogwink.

View attachment 55880 View attachment 55881
Okay, but by your logic, the local hill in my town (Pajarito) is never truly "open" because it is historically Fri-Sun only. We are a small town with a small hill which can't justify being open on random Tuesdays. Just sayin'.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This looks very promising for Loveland. I imagine Abasin is even closer. I revise my previous statement: I think Abasin Wed and Loveland Friday.