• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Got their announcement by email:

"Mother Nature blankets Wolf Creek Ski Area, Colorado with a 20 inch storm leaving an all natural settled base of 14 inches at the midway. This weekend Saturday, October 13th and Sunday, October 14th, Wolf Creek will open with Treasure, Bonanza and Nova Lifts operating. This is Wolf Creek’s second earliest opening ever and the first ski area in the country to open this season."

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't even think about Wolf Creek when I started this thread! :doh:

Still - very cool that they're opening!! Is @Jeff N still local there?
I've been to Wolf Creek when they went from bare ground to 100% open in one storm. Let's just say it takes a bit of "honey badger doesn't give a ..." attitude.
After a big pitch, I plopped down theatrically into the powder, only to wind up sitting on a tree stump. That was an eye opener. Still, on balance, I like the "you are grown ups, make your own decisions about how much coverage is skiable" attitude.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well, Wolf Creek will close again after this weekend.

Open means not closing again so the race to be first to open for the season is still on.

My current bet is A-abasin on Thursday the 18th. Good snowmaking overnight temps this weekend before it warms up again.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been to Wolf Creek when they went from bare ground to 100% open in one storm. Let's just say it takes a bit of "honey badger doesn't give a ..." attitude.
After a big pitch, I plopped down theatrically into the powder, only to wind up sitting on a tree stump. That was an eye opener. Still, on balance, I like the "you are grown ups, make your own decisions about how much coverage is skiable" attitude.

A refreshing attitude by Wolf Creek Ski area in this era of political correctness and litigation. Hopeful all their punters have a great time and stay safe this weekend.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, Wolf Creek will close again after this weekend.

Open means not closing again so the race to be first to open for the season is still on.

My current bet is A-abasin on Thursday the 18th. Good snowmaking overnight temps this weekend before it warms up again.

Pretty much what Dave from WC just said on 9News. While they are the 1st to open they are only open on weekends right now. They also realize the temps are warming up but he thinks they will have enough preservation to continue with weekend openings until there is enough snow to open full time. They are not in a race with A Basin or Loveland to open 1st. A Basin and Loveland both responded and was happy Wolf Creek is opening but it's all about opening full time.

I'm sticking with A Basin on Thu the 25th.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
First to open is still First.
@nay is absolutely correct.
Article 2, Paragraph 1, Subheading B of the Third Pugski Convention clearly indicates that “first” only applies to those lift-served establishments which:
1) Are open to the general public,
2) Remain in continuous lift-served operation for not less than 90 days, and
3) Provide a public house with no less than two taps and fourteen house spirits.

Rules are rules.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
@nay is absolutely correct.
Article 2, Paragraph 1, Subheading B of the Third Pugski Convention clearly indicates that “first” only applies to those lift-served establishments which:
1) Are open to the general public,
2) Remain in continuous lift-served operation for not less than 90 days, and
3) Provide a public house with no less than two taps and fourteen house spirits.

Rules are rules.
Rules are for fools. You would have to wait until mid January to claim first to open per rule #2 and by that time I’m ready for the mid season tropical vacation. Killington cheats by making snow on a lift where the base elevation is 3400 feet. That is a higher elevation then most ski areas in the East.

Playground rules apply - First to open gets the trophy.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Rules are for fools. You would have to wait until mid January to claim first to open per rule #2 and by that time I’m ready for the mid season tropical vacation. Killington cheats by making snow on a lift where the base elevation is 3400 feet. That is a higher elevation then most ski areas in the East.

Playground rules apply - First to open gets the trophy.
I would like to point out that some mid-atlantic regions may only have a 60 day full season, so..........the 90 days does put a wrench in the works.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
You would have to appeal. I don’t make the rules.
But it points to the need for clarification.
We might have to head up the mountain for guidance.
The answer is probably on a rock somewhere.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I thought historically first to open meant first to have public lift-served skiing in a new season, regardless of what happens after that day. That's my perspective as I enter my 79th winter.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Jane, you ignorant slut!
How would rewarding an establishment the title of "First to Open" be good for the Pugskiing public?
The rules - as they are written - require continuous operation of 90 days (which could be amended at the next Pugski Constitutional Convention).
Our founding fathers knew that to require continuing operation would benefit the Pugskiery by providing the establishments an incentive to get open and stay open.
Otherwise a resort could open under pathetic, dangerous conditions for one hour, just to claim the prestigious title.
Nay, I say (not you @nay).
We want continuous operation. Why punish those ski areas that go the extra mile?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Meh. Killington did a post storm opening to be first a few years ago and then couldn’t resume ops for a material amount of time.

If you are open, but actually closed, and the other guy is open 7 days a week, then the first guy also has to claim first to close.

I don’t really care, but I could make Hillington first to open in North America with another load of Reddy Ice. I have two lift chairs now.

So buy that definition of lift served and being able to close a few hours later, I would win.

Sponsor

Staff online