• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
From the A-Basin website pass prices go up October 12th. Has this date been consistent throughout the fall or is it a new deadline? If its new (and I am reading too much into it) I am guessing A-Basin is subtly hinting their optimistic opening date for the 11th or 12th.

and when I use subtly, hinting, and optimistic in the same sentence to describe something my overall confidence level in that assessment is usually low.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wish :)! I'm going to try and save the Killington days on my Ikon Base until the Spring, so I'm hoping that Loon and Stratton aren't too far behind Killington when it finally comes time to make snow. Although neither is on the Ikon Pass, last year Mount Snow and Okemo I thought did a particularly good job getting terrain open early.

Mount Snow might be the first to open in the East this year. Their ability to make snow is unmatched.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think Killington will still open first ... if nothing else the elevation helps and they want the bragging rights ... but Mount Snow will likely get more terrain open more quickly. Used to be that K was the only game in town over Thanksgiving but that changed quite a bit last year.

Christy

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm always interested to see who is substantially open first--can we make that a category? 100% might be too lofty a goal, and "substantially" is a little squishy, but it's so much more interesting than who can blow snow to make a WROD the fastest.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm always interested to see who is substantially open first--can we make that a category? 100% might be too lofty a goal, and "substantially" is a little squishy, but it's so much more interesting than who can blow snow to make a WROD the fastest.

True enough, Whistler has a lot of terrain available when they open, as does Sun Peaks. While there is limited snowmaking available at US PNW resorts, the amount of terrain that opens is pretty good, because all the ski areas get blanketed by a lot of snow in a pretty short amount of time. We might not open until just before Thanksgiving, but we don’t need no stinkin’ WRODs.

OK, there was one year in recent memory, ‘14/15, in which the only skiing available in December was Mission Ridge, which does have top to bottom snowmaking on at least one run. 2200’ vertical of WROD is nothing to sneeze at, and it was not crowded, mostly ski teams.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier

I agree this that is perhaps the more interesting metric, though I also agree that it will be difficult to define. Last season here on the East Coast, I thought that Mount Snow, Okemo, and Stratton did a better job at opening up early season terrain than Killington. I didn't ski Sunday River until January, so I don't know how they did last season.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

Would like to see this too, but each resort opens terrain differently. Some will open terrain that is simply not worth skiing to the majority to please a minority. Where a trail transitions from an "adventure" to "skiable" to a "good run" is different depending on who you ask. For instance, Kirkwood will open a run well before Vail would consider it skiable. They cater to different folks.

Additionally, the website "open" numbers for trails or lifts may be very different from what is actually open when you get there. The trail may be open, but the lift running to it is closed...and the website may not update to show this...

Open comes in many flavors :eek::rolleyes::huh:ogwink:D:golfclap:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think Killington will still open first ... if nothing else the elevation helps and they want the bragging rights ... but Mount Snow will likely get more terrain open more quickly. Used to be that K was the only game in town over Thanksgiving but that changed quite a bit last year.

I here you on Kmart. If you have to walk more than you get to ski then I am not sure that qualifies as being open ;).

In the end, its great that resorts are investing in snow making like Mount Snow and its great that Killington is hosting a WC race. Both are very positive for the industry. Kudos to both.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Well I feel for all of you. (sarcasm). Here in the wonderful world of the Southeast we all talk about Thanksgiving as a possibility but all to often it's mid Dec. and to top it all off we all to often close in March.:(

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well I feel for all of you. (sarcasm). Here in the wonderful world of the Southeast we all talk about Thanksgiving as a possibility but all to often it's mid Dec. and to top it all off we all to often close in March.:(
My sentiments exactly. I'd give anything to have an WROD to ski on in October, we've done the single run on Sugar for the last two Thanksgivings and it works well enough to shake out the cobwebs.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
My sentiments exactly. I'd give anything to have an WROD to ski on in October, we've done the single run on Sugar for the last two Thanksgivings and it works well enough to shake out the cobwebs.
and we're lucky to have that.ogsmile
If you ever come out to wolf let me know, I get plenty of extra passes and I never use them.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
and we're lucky to have that.ogsmile
If you ever come out to wolf let me know, I get plenty of extra passes and I never use them.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I ever get out that way. We try to go up to Snowshoe as much as possible once the season gets rolling since we have passes there. But we have Thanksgiving in the Boone area with family every year so we hit Sugar or Beech if we can since we are there.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Al's Blog post today :

"Snowiest Morning Yet
We had some snow last night. I think this is our snowiest morning so far. The temperatures were not quite cold enough to make snow. We should see a little more snow today and we should have good snowmaking temperatures tonight. This ought to be a good week."

Perhaps a "good week" includes opening this weekend?

Freezing level should be near the base all week... And starting Saturday the 13th, the mid-mountain high/low temps for next week are :

28 / 2
14 / -6 :)eek:)
24 / 2
33 / 9
36 / 13
37 / 13

So if they don't get open this coming weekend, I'd have to think they'll open the following week sometime.

Reactions: RJS

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Al's Blog post today :

"Snowiest Morning Yet
We had some snow last night. I think this is our snowiest morning so far. The temperatures were not quite cold enough to make snow. We should see a little more snow today and we should have good snowmaking temperatures tonight. This ought to be a good week."

Perhaps a "good week" includes opening this weekend?

Freezing level should be near the base all week... And starting Saturday the 13th, the mid-mountain high/low temps for next week are :

28 / 2
14 / -6 :)eek:)
24 / 2
33 / 9
36 / 13
37 / 13

So if they don't get open this coming weekend, I'd have to think they'll open the following week sometime.

Certainly enough to open the WROD easily...

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Here is your answer.

A88987E1-5111-4C5E-8CD3-C865922201C0.png

Sponsor