• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It's all about snow conditions and the size of the bumps. Chute is pretty straightforward and in soft snow is a blast. I had a smile on my face the whole way down after a big dump and enjoyed the soft bumps. Same with Fallen Timbers on skier's left. As you move skier's right it can get a bit more challenging with big, icy bumps, especially after a dry spell.

Thanks. I have never been on an icy bump. Maybe I'll wait til a powder day or a warmer day when the conditions are soft. I also like the sunbrook area too and all the blues on the main face.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm just starting in get into blacks. I'm cool with ungroomed and soft bumps. For perspective I've skied highline and lower cascsde at killington in soft snow. Can you recommend a black over on the north face at snow for me to start on?
Honestly, we just looked down a trail and made a judgement call. Didn't really pay attention to names too much, but like QueueCT said we stayed under the lifts and to the left. May have got down Plummet . Fallen Timbers or Olympic were a lot of soft bumpy fun! My first time to Mt Snow years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of venturing to the North Face, but the second time was a pleasant surprise.

At Killington, I've skied Highline and East Falls in some rather icy conditions that made them difficult for me. I like to hit the brief black portions on Skyeburst, Skylark, Mouse Run, Panic Button. I went down a really cold, icy, bumped up Wildfire last year on a lesson during the New Year's deep freeze. Eye opening...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Honestly, we just looked down a trail and made a judgement call. Didn't really pay attention to names too much, but like QueueCT said we stayed under the lifts and to the left. May have got down Plummet . Fallen Timbers or Olympic were a lot of soft bumpy fun! My first time to Mt Snow years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of venturing to the North Face, but the second time was a pleasant surprise.

At Killington, I've skied Highline and East Falls in some rather icy conditions that made them difficult for me. I like to hit the brief black portions on Skyeburst, Skylark, Mouse Run, Panic Button. I went down a really cold, icy, bumped up Wildfire last year on a lesson during the New Year's deep freeze. Eye opening...

Thanks. I will wait for a soft snow day at snow and venture over to the north face and stick to the areas you guys said.

I love lower skykark and mouse run at killington. Highline was a lot of fun and i feel proud to have gone down it. Not sure I'd go down it on any other day other than when it's soft snow. I know icy lower east falls all too well. I'm confident ice can turn any of those blacks into very scary places.

Last edited:

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depending on your age we must have run into each other. I started skiing at Brighton, Holly and Alpine Valley with trips to Nubs and Boyne. Then two years skiing Mont Ripley in the UP. Colorado was a revelation.

Where I live in the twin cities the skiing is so lame we're driving to the UP of Michigan for a skiing vacation this year. lol... 620 vertical feet!! Can't wait! :roflmao:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Comments Mt Snow for this week end:

Cascade, Canyon, High Traverse, River Run and Freefall
the right side of cascade, in the flats, will have an abbreviated park set up.
the lift mode will likely be
lift 9 Canyon to lift 18 on the North side. So the summit trip (top of Cascade) will be two hitches from the base.
8-3:30 pm.

The Cascade -River Run loop is fun easy terrain, Each has a short steeper section, but nothing to worry over. Fine for just about any skiing ability.
The snow was a bit patchy down low today. It might be snowing there now however. It's 40 degrees and rain down here in the banana belt.

RatherBSk11ng

Booting up
Skier
Update to the SR thought:

They got a nice thump of snow, at least up high:

MM8tsUo.png

However, lower down, it was not so helpful:
102420181215_l.jpg

But I think they've got a good shot of getting a path back to the Locke triple on Lower Punch.

48 hr forecast starting at 8PM tonight:

2aJTHFe.png

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've gotta think SR is going to be pushing HARD to be in that group too, even if it is a narrow path on lower punch.

At this point in the season it really comes down to snow making power and efficiency. Mother Nature is not going to be all that helpful beyond keeping temps low. You could blow a lot of money and have all the guns blowing round the clock but I am not sure that is a good business decision for every resort at this point in the season.

RatherBSk11ng

Booting up
Skier
At this point in the season it really comes down to snow making power and efficiency. Mother Nature is not going to be all that helpful beyond keeping temps low. You could blow a lot of money and have all the guns blowing round the clock but I am not sure that is a good business decision for every resort at this point in the season.

I think you under-estimate Sunday River's desire to play in this space (early season leader).

Every year they fight to get open as soon as possible (via midstation downloading on the Locke Triple) and then fight to get to the bottom as soon as possible, because downloading on the triple is less than pleasant (they only load every tenth chair going down).

Early season they take every opportunity to make snow. They replaced their main feed line (water) this year after blowing it out an insane number of times last year, which gives them a 15% bump in capacity over previous. This was step one in a multi year plan to double their snow-making capacity. (source: https://www.sundayriver.com/media-center/press-releases/pipeline-project )

They tout a 8,100GPM max flow rate with their snow-making system. (source: https://www.sundayriver.com/media-center/winter-facts)

They have the power, they have the will... as long as temps are low enough, they'll be firing all out.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Snowbasin opened yesterday, Park City today. I skied Snowbasin yesterday. Not a lot of snow, and very firm. But a great time was had nonetheless!

Sponsor

Staff online