• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado The property formally known as St. Mary's Glacier Ski Resort is For Sale.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That’s the question everyone's asking concerning the 374-acre property in Colorado that operated as a ski resort from the 1930s to the 1980s.

Formerly called St. Mary’s Glacier Ski Resort, the property was listed for sale on Sept. 19 and currently has an asking price of $7 million.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This hit the news cycle last week in the Denver area. The headline was "Why buy a season pass when you could buy your own ski area?"...

So eventually buying a ski area will be cheaper than a season pass? :roflmao:

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of local drama with that property. A relative of Adolph Coors bought it several years ago and tried to get it back open. The locals fought it...and it never opened. Side note: the rumor is the same Coors relative owns the parking lots that are at the bottom of the St. Mary's hiking trail. The cost to park there is $20/vehicle/day.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well Woodward brought Parley's Summit Ski Area back to life in Utah with the park scene. Now even more famous cause they film the skiing scenes there for The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City. Could St Mary's coexist with Echo and be viable? Outside of Eldora skiing has had it tough east of the Divide.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gorgeous piece of property. How difficult and expensive is the permitting process to run a ski resort again? How much ski infrastructure is on property already?

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The only time I was there, about 1975, I took my Jimmy up to about the lake (it was definitely a 4WD trail then) and hiked the rest of the way up to the snowfield, about 200 yards or so. With the parking lots along Fall River Road, I guess you can't drive up to the lake any more, but I don't know, because I haven't been there since then.

After we were done skiing, we took a Jeep trail over to Central City on the way home. People looked at us funny as we busted out of the woods near Central City with a rack full of skis on the roof in mid-July.

Sponsor

Staff online