• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Physical Therapy / Rehab Thread

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Need to think on a better reply here, but my 2:52 am thought is that it’s critical to understand ‘bucket the patient places themselves into’ - Skiers/Active folks are often written off as malingering or needy as the 80/20 rule says most just get better.... massive confirmation bias in that narrative as many patients have no complaints after injury / surgery as they tend to be on the more sedentary side of the curve. If your mobility requirements are to get to the bathroom & shop once per week, ya tend not to drive a lot of inflammation or confront range restrictions - and that’s ok if the client chooses this. We also need to provide the road map for individuals who want to boot up on the access road, hike 1/4 mile & ski all day.

:)

My PT's demeanor on Tuesday seemed to shift when she asked if I had competitive goals for lifting, and I said I would like to compete next year. It seemed like it was some sort of branch in a decision tree on how to approach my issue. I'm not sure I like that, and maybe I read the situation incorrectly, but it seemed to inform her approach.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On Wednesday I was rear ended which caused some whiplash and general soreness. It wasn't horrible but the amount of damage to my car is somewhat stunning considering we had both been at a dead stop and she decided to go right into my back end even though the light was red. Anyhow, I went to my clinic who promptly offered me 30(!!!) muscle relaxers. I only accepted a script for 10. I know that they have no street value and aren't technically habit-forming but I felt like it was a gross over prescribing if I'd accepted it. I will probably only use them to sleep through this weekend.

Anyhow, I wanted to get a massage by my therapist is booked up for weeks so I decided to look at a newish local business called Renew Movement who I'd seen great reviews of. They use the Lokte Method of connective tissue release which I'd never experienced but reading about it made sense to me. In a single 45 minute session they made me feel much better and after a good night's rest I feel so much better! Still some lingering soreness but I'm functional. I have another appointment next Wednesday and hoping they can get the rest of my back to release in that visit. I think I'll end up using them regularly, especially for the aches and pains I get from studying and class in non-ergonomic set ups that tend to make me hurt.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Am I wrong in thinking that your car was fairly new? Time flies but I seem to remember you posting about your search for a new car in the not too long ago. Whatever, sorry to read about the accident, it's painful on several levels.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Am I wrong in thinking that your car was fairly new? Time flies but I seem to remember you posting about your search for a new car in the not too long ago. Whatever, sorry to read about the accident, it's painful on several levels.

It’s about a year and a half old. I wish the car was the big issue with this but, sadly, it isn’t. I have some pretty major other fucked up shit going on in addition to work and law school so this is just one more thing that I really don’t have emotional space for. Thank goodness the injury transferred my case to a different adjuster because if they hadn’t I was about let out the entirety of my my pent up anger, frustration, and grief on the poor guy. Well, not that poor, it’s his fault for speaking to me as if I know nothing about insurance and tort law. Mind you, I approve granting non-standard insurance coverage requests for my company. I may or may not have provided my @law.du.edu email address.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Obviously I had no idea of what your're facing in your life now. About the only thing I can say is take heart, from your previous posts you seem a strong and resolute person, as is evidenced by attending law school and working at the same time. My Denver daughter went through Law School at DU while working full time, so I've had some exposure to the hard slog it can be. She made it, passed the Bar, and has had a meaningful life careerwise and on the personal side, as I'm sure you will. She also skis, though not quite at your level. Carry on.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate reading everyone's stories about injuries, rehab, challenges, and successes. I've been there a few times over the years. Since this thread is to share updates on PT, I thought I would share my most recent experience.

In 2018 I had been struggling with knee pain. I was out for a weekend ski getaway in March and by Sunday my knee was really painful. I limped to the car to drive back and by the time I got home my knee was totally swollen. I went straight to the ER that night. Short story, they drained my knee 3 times over 2 days. My season was over.

I got a PT prescription for IT band issues. I went through physical therapy and strength exercises for 7-8 weeks and was definitely better. And I’ve continued going to the PT for workouts. For $25 per session, I come in, the trainer writes up my workout on a board and I do it. I effectively get a semi-personal trainer. The physical therapist and trainers and I are always talking about skiing and my goals and they design workouts to support those goals. It's been fantastic. At 55 I'm the most pain free I've been in years.

Before - my unhappy right knee
upload_2019-9-21_0-22-16.png

After - very happy with my improved right knee

Wishing everyone a good recovery.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I discovered that, though I am now very much aware, through PT and through training with my ballerina-turned-trainer, of my movement patterns and can adhere to good patterns, I have not fully recovered strength and endurance of my left glutes. The discovery is described here,

https://www.pugski.com/posts/389667/

Upon returning from the trip, I asked my trainers to do a strength assessment. Bulgarian squats: left is burning after 20 reps, right is not. Side lunges: Difficult and slow to the left; Powerful and quick to the right. Curtsies while holding a 25 lb weight: Slow and difficult crossing with me left leg, moving right, with high focus needed to not use my left QL; easy the other way.

Prior to the trip, I thought I was in great shape. Quite the contrary. But, now we have a plan.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I recently discovered how much an appropriate warmup is for both my skiing and the rehabilitation of my left hip. On the skiing end, refer to the post here,
The skiing drills were amazing in loosening and mobilizing my hip and making it possible to carve properly.

Skiing properly and well certainly helps rehab. But, I was surprised at what effect it has in the gym. To show my weight trainer the weakness I discovered, I demonstrated for him the externally rotated abduction that, when skiing, stretched my muscles and shed light to muscular weaknesses. He agreed to consider what exercises to add, then we proceeded to the current routine, which include pistol squats, Bulgarian squats, leg presses, leg curls, weighted curtsy lunges and more. Surprisingly, having essentially warmed up with the externally rotated abductions, I found a new level of pelvic stability when performing those exercises. As a result, muscles in my left hip “appeared” and they were getting worked out. These muscles happen to be the same ones that my acupuncturist kept working on to loosen up, over and over, for nought. No wonder. They were dysfunctional and tightening up, despite my workouts, because I wasn’t accessing them. Boy, the next couple days, was I sore. You know, the soreness you get from working out muscles that haven’t been worked out for a while.

Progress.

Sponsor

Staff online