• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The other kind of bruised shins (not shin-bang)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I have exactly what you describe LiquidFeet, my feet are still worked over from last year's downsize to a low volume boot. It was very prominent back in May but not so bad now. I think it's mostly old age and a loss of collagen in the skin.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
First, it would lower the shear on your skin, because the foam you add would be against, maybe taped, to the shin instead of moving with the boot.

Second, properly shaped, it shouldn't add compression, not if you actually have room to flex the T. anterior as you mention above.

If you don't have room there, then you're flexing the muscle into the liner, and it all becomes a bit self explanatory along the lines @Dakine outlined.

Shear. I hadn't thought of shear.

Still wondering where the others are who experience this or know about it.
We now have Fuller!
@ScotsSkier? @Doug Briggs? @Muleski? @Primoz?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't experienced that sort of problem. It isn't dye from your socks, is it? I ask because you say it isn't painful.

I work at a premier bootfitter's, but I'm a ski tech. I have experience from skis inflicting damage, but not boots. ;)

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
No discoloration. But in some seasons, not every season, my shins develop a bump in the contact area (also the no hair...). BTW, I think it depends on how I ski, not on how much.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Ah, the bump. My first pair of Surefoots with the foamed tongue got the tongue of one boot displaced some (tongues are attached with velcro) so that my shin did not align with the shape foamed into the tongue and I ended up half way through a 130-day season with a painful bump. I used Dr. Shoal's foam pads to create donuts to apply around the bump so I could ski. Now I mark the tongue/bladder interface in several spots to assure proper realignment. I also no longer ski 130-day seasons.

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Darkened not, agitated yes (when I taught a lot). And I also had some uberbein growing (you guys call it Ganglion I think? Extra bone growing on your shin basically). It only gets better when you give your shins some rest.

Imo the reason this happens to ski teachers is because they are too far forward while teaching snow plows and basic parallel turns to show the guests what they are lacking. I can only speak for myself when I say that I don't have the problem when I stay centered. Teach with your boots unbuckled and see if you are really centered while teaching.

EDIT: Misread the post, sorry. I read bruised and painful. If it just a darkened colour it might be what Doug Briggs said.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nope. Just the no hair.

What’s the shape of your boot tongue? Some can be better than others at slowing the shin down less abruptly. If it’s kind of a soft V shape, (in plan), it will contact the outer parts of the shin first, then by the time you’re nearly all the way forward, the center contacts. Might help.

Edit: read above, was going to suggest the unbuckling also, but maintain booster strap/power strap. See what happens.

How long does it take to appear?

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....What’s the shape of your boot tongue? Some can be better than others at slowing the shin down less abruptly. If it’s kind of a soft V shape, (in plan), it will contact the outer parts of the shin first, then by the time you’re nearly all the way forward, the center contacts. Might help....
Edit: read above, was going to suggest the unbuckling also, but maintain booster strap/power strap. See what happens.
How long does it take to appear?

Hostly dunno. A while. I tend to start thinking about it after ski season stops. Maybe I notice it earlier. Remember, no pain. No hair either, but that isn't something I notice enough to have mentioned it originally.

Since so many of you don't experience this, I'm wondering about my boot tongues now that James has brought them up. I have very, VERY narrow lower legs just above the ankles, so I have added all kinds of filler around the cuffs in that area to maintain contact. I have duct taped Eliminator tongues onto the Zip Fit tongues. The omfit just doesn't do the task all by itself. I'm now thinking I should revisit that. Thanks for the refocus.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Since so many of you don't experience this, I'm wondering about my boot tongues now that James has brought them up. I have very, VERY narrow lower legs just above the ankles, so I have added all kinds of filler around the cuffs in that area to maintain contact. I have duct taped Eliminator tongues onto the Zip Fit tongues. The omfit just doesn't do the task all by itself. I'm now thinking I should revisit that. Thanks for the refocus.

Pretty funny to read this after you objected about adding pressure further upthread. Especially since the foam I linked to is specifically designed to alleviate bedsore ulcers and therefore much more compliant than the Eliminator tongues.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
At the end of last season I noticed a small dark spot on my right leg at the top of ankle/bottom of shins and slightly to the inside of the shin not dead center. It is not painful and is now less dark but I have not been out skiing yet this season. I thought it was like a black and blue mark but it has not gone away just less dark as I said earlier. I also thought it was just my age 72 at the end of last season and will be 73 this month, I may heal slower now and just haven't healed yet.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Pretty funny to read this after you objected about adding pressure further upthread. Especially since the foam I linked to is specifically designed to alleviate bedsore ulcers and therefore much more compliant than the Eliminator tongues.

Did I ignore a good suggestion again? Have I contradicted myself again?
So normal for me.
Could you repeat the link?

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
At the end of last season I noticed a small dark spot on my right leg at the top of ankle/bottom of shins and slightly to the inside of the shin not dead center. It is not painful and is now less dark but I have not been out skiing yet this season. I thought it was like a black and blue mark but it has not gone away just less dark as I said earlier. I also thought it was just my age 72 at the end of last season and will be 73 this month, I may heal slower now and just haven't healed yet.

That sounds like what I experience.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The EVA foam is generic; the Akton polymer is this stuff:

you want the 1/8" - put it in the sock to start with.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The EVA foam is generic; the Akton polymer is this stuff:
you want the 1/8" - put it in the sock to start with.

OK, thanks. Finding a way to buy this stuff will prove interesting.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I always seem to get rub bruises on top of my shins. These are from Nordica 130 Dobermans though I don't think its the boot. I am going to shave and use pre emptive moleskin or maybe a skin toughener hikers use next week long trip. I always pressure my shins carving fast and end up getting bruises by the third day especially if I hit alot of bumps at speed. Then I use bandages and moleskin over it. Does anyone have a better solution ?

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_113103.jpg
    IMG_20191221_113103.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 7

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aside from bruising this looks like rub rash. There is a product that swimmers (and other athletes) use is a Rash Guard.

Basically lubes your skin to prevent rub rashes.

You might want to try this as preventative measure, should be available at most big box sports stores along with specialty stores.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I do pull ups with my wedding ring on the area under the ring will become a little red/purple, but it goes away and doesn't hurt. Could just be the pressure causing discoloration, or maybe mild bruising.

Do you have new socks or different laundry detergent?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The time every season in the shower after day one when the :geek: soapy water hits my recently waxed shins LOL. Well not rally waxed but same results.. no hair on shins or calves below boot top

Sponsor

Staff online