• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I appreciate and have enjoyed reading your informative thread. I recently returned from a month skibattical of sorts in Utah. The drive home allowed me to make a quick visit to Wolf Creek and Ski Cooper. After a generous helping of powder skiing for a month in Utah Wolf Creek presented a problem I never saw coming, too much snow. The lifties and staff warned me to watch out for flats. On my first drop into a tasty tree run I found myself stuck and had a marathon of a slog to get out. Perhaps I would have done well to hire a guide as it was my first time there? The steeper runs served me well, but even with 3'+ of fresh the moguls could be felt. I am sure Wolf Creek can be much fun on other days, but avvy control had the Alberta area closed and snow had not settled enough for me to obtain optimal float on lower angle with my Rossignol Soul 7's. I am a 46 year old advanced/strong intermediate skier and found myself in over my head figuratively and literally at times. Someday I hope to return to Wolf Creek as the staff and locals were helpful when I sought advice. I am sure I missed out on much terrain. My sentiments with regards to Ski Cooper are the same as your review. Hope my nugget of info helps in your future decision to give Wolf Creek a try.

I was there for the big storm last week and if you didn't have on fat skis you weren't going anywhere. I was on 118s and just had enough float. Wolf Creek is one mountain where you can say "too much snow" without feeling too silly because it happens. It is definitely one of those mountains that you need to know your way around or you can waste a lot of time stuck or in flats. Alberta is basically in bounds backcountry skiing which can be incredible but also the type of place where you do a run and end up stuck in chest deep powder. Not an issue most mountains in CO have to worry about!

KansasTraverse

Booting up
Skier
I was there for the big storm last week and if you didn't have on fat skis you weren't going anywhere. I was on 118s and just had enough float. Wolf Creek is one mountain where you can say "too much snow" without feeling too silly because it happens. It is definitely one of those mountains that you need to know your way around or you can waste a lot of time stuck or in flats. Alberta is basically in bounds backcountry skiing which can be incredible but also the type of place where you do a run and end up stuck in chest deep powder. Not an issue most mountains in CO have to worry about!
Thank you for the comment. My experience makes more sense now. The Soul 7's are 108 underfoot I believe. My ego is in a better place now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertion

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thank you for sharing pics and report. Maybe will go to Colorado next year with friends.

TS
B

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I appreciate and have enjoyed reading your informative thread. I recently returned from a month skibattical of sorts in Utah. The drive home allowed me to make a quick visit to Wolf Creek and Ski Cooper. After a generous helping of powder skiing for a month in Utah Wolf Creek presented a problem I never saw coming, too much snow. The lifties and staff warned me to watch out for flats. On my first drop into a tasty tree run I found myself stuck and had a marathon of a slog to get out. Perhaps I would have done well to hire a guide as it was my first time there? The steeper runs served me well, but even with 3'+ of fresh the moguls could be felt. I am sure Wolf Creek can be much fun on other days, but avvy control had the Alberta area closed and snow had not settled enough for me to obtain optimal float on lower angle with my Rossignol Soul 7's. I am a 46 year old advanced/strong intermediate skier and found myself in over my head figuratively and literally at times. Someday I hope to return to Wolf Creek as the staff and locals were helpful when I sought advice. I am sure I missed out on much terrain. My sentiments with regards to Ski Cooper are the same as your review. Hope my nugget of info helps in your future decision to give Wolf Creek a try.
Thanks much for the info. I regret not skiing Wolf Creek. It would have been ideal conditions when I was there. But I ran out of time. But I'm already planning for it next year. ogsmile

Sponsor