• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The One Boot Quiver: Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD vs. Lange RS's

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Thanks all, for the feedback!

@surfandski, I'm a new zipfit owner, too. Skied them all of this past season, and they were great. But there's just not enough OMFit material back there in the heel to make an appreciable difference when confronted with my heel spurs. Hopefully molding and/or a highly localized punch can accommodate my spurs. Sounds like it may from all the other comments. Now I just need to find a shop that carries the XTD for next season. May have to travel up to Tahoe for a boofitting day, as it's somewhat slim pickings for touring-specific equipment here in the south Bay Area.

Which Zipfits did you get? I ended up with the Grand Prix and I plan to harvest some OMfit out of one on my much larger bad ankle and then I'll have some extra OMfit for touch up down the road once things pack in. Your heel spur looks substantial so it sounds like you're on the right track with a punch. I'm sure Start Haus or other shops could hook you up with whatever you need. I lived in Truckee and S. Tahoe growing up and that's certainly not a bad trip from the Bay. Good luck with the spur!

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
But there's just not enough OMFit material back there in the heel to make an appreciable difference when confronted with my heel spurs. Hopefully molding and/or a highly localized punch can accommodate my spurs.
I have the same condition with both heels and I did have my boots ground in that spot to make it more comfortable, There is no OMfit material in that area, A little grinding and you will be good to go

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Cool thread :) I'm still searching for new boot for next season and I'm more and more decided it's going to be this XTD 130. I'm not trying to merge my race boot and skimo boot into one, as I'm pretty sure I will use my race Rossi Hero WC ZC boots for lift assisted powder (and of course always when on race skis), but I'm trying to replace my current Dynafit TLT6 (chewed up heel, too soft) for ski touring. So while I notice XTD 120/130 are good enough for downhill part (pretty much anything is good enough compared to TLT6), I would want to hear if someone has experience with long(er) uphill sessions? How do they work on few hours climbs?

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cool thread :) I'm still searching for new boot for next season and I'm more and more decided it's going to be this XTD 130. I'm not trying to merge my race boot and skimo boot into one, as I'm pretty sure I will use my race Rossi Hero WC ZC boots for lift assisted powder (and of course always when on race skis), but I'm trying to replace my current Dynafit TLT6 (chewed up heel, too soft) for ski touring. So while I notice XTD 120/130 are good enough for downhill part (pretty much anything is good enough compared to TLT6), I would want to hear if someone has experience with long(er) uphill sessions? How do they work on few hours climbs?

I have a pair of TLT5s and have a pair of 130 XTDs that unfortunately have not been skinned with. The XTDs won't ever walk like my TLT5s, but actually feel pretty good on the carpet.

Most online reviewers feel it walks almost as good as a Dynafit Vulcan, with which lots of people do long walks.

I think the XTD could easily be modified to walk better. I ditched the power strap as the cuff is so high. That alone eliminates a lot of fiddling. I have a really high instep so to make it easier to get in and out I've cut some of the overlap away. I think I could get more aggressive than this and make them walk better, but want to ski them 1st.
A former ski tech like yourself could easily cut away a lot of plastic and I still think they would ski miles better than a TLT 6.

They fit my bony, narrow but high instep feet better than any AT boot I've tried. Much better heel hold than my TLT5s and a lot more toe room at the same time.
I switched out the buckles to close differently around my instep bump and the 26.5 now weigh 1334g per boot!

I have high hopes for this boot.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I have toured in mine quite a bit and as far as the shell goes it is awesome. The stock liner is ok but a lace up touring liner like the intuition is much better regarding warmth and support. Fit is key obviously.