• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The One Boot Quiver: Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD vs. Lange RS's

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi, I recently set up my powder skis for dual duty (ski touring and resort) and after one morning of touring I decided to get a Touring capable boot that was still good for in-bounds skiing. I have owned and been using a pair of fitted (by SBF) Lange RS130's in 27.5 size (2016 model) for two seasons. They are great boots for the resort, a tad too high volume for my feet but SBF too care of that quickly. The Langes are heavy but super solid which is awesome for the typically roughed up resort conditions (even here in the west). I am 6-2 185~190lb and my skis are typically long and pretty heavy (currently they are: The Head Monster 88's 184cm and the Moment Deathwish (112mm wide, 190cm long) and I ski pretty aggressively and fast at times (30-50mph) even in chopped up snow so the stability and response of the Langes is awesome. Of course, they are probably the worst boot for hiking and touring (with a frame binding obviously). So, after looking and trying on a bunch of boots (the choice of touring capable boots that are good for the resort as well nowadays is impressive) I decided on the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 in 27.5 size (the 120 has the stiffer and more resort oriented liner, the 130 has a thinner/lighter more touring focused liner). Right away the boot felt a bit more snug on my feet than the (unmodified) Langes initially and after putting in a custom insole they felt snug but uniformly snug all around which is awesome.

I first used the Hawxs for a quick tour up A Basin and a half day of skiing inside the resort. Right away I noticed how much lighter* the boots felt and the ease and effectiveness of the walk mode were just awesome. Skiing down some steeper soft bumps and crud I did notice that the new boot was a touch softer than the Langes, just a hair but noticeable although laterally they felt almost just as quick. Wow. The Atomics were also warmer than the Langes in which my feet get cold after a few laps. (It was 0ºF! during this day and the new boots performed great, I really do not like to ski on the Langes when it is this cold!).

I was VERY impressed with the Atomics. They are simple and effective boots for both in-bounds and backcountry/touring skiing. Obviously walking on the Atomics is a HUGE improvement over the Langes not only due to the grippy WTR sole but mostly for the reduced weight and walk mode which is super easy to engage and disengage with gloves on. They make the skiing experience more comfortable and enjoyable. This is the future of ski boots no question.

*Measured weights using my electronic kitchen scale: Lange RS130 (2016, 27.5): 5 lb 2.1 oz ; Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 (27.5) 3 lb 11.4 oz

*I used the boots on Marker Baron L bindings (2017, SoleID) and the Adjustable AFD accommodated the new boots perfectly

_B7A0190.JPG

_B7A0191.JPG

_B7A0193.JPG

Sidewinder

Booting up
Skier
Hi, I recently set up my powder skis for dual duty (ski touring and resort) and after one morning of touring I decided to get a Touring capable boot that was still good for in-bounds skiing. I have owned and been using a pair of fitted (by SBF) Lange RS130's in 27.5 size (2016 model) for two seasons. They are great boots for the resort, a tad too high volume for my feet but SBF too care of that quickly. The Langes are heavy but super solid which is awesome for the typically roughed up resort conditions (even here in the west). I am 6-2 185~190lb and my skis are typically long and pretty heavy (currently they are: The Head Monster 88's 184cm and the Moment Deathwish (112mm wide, 190cm long) and I ski pretty aggressively and fast at times (30-50mph) even in chopped up snow so the stability and response of the Langes is awesome. Of course, they are probably the worst boot for hiking and touring (with a frame binding obviously). So, after looking and trying on a bunch of boots (the choice of touring capable boots that are good for the resort as well nowadays is impressive) I decided on the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 in 27.5 size (the 120 has the stiffer and more resort oriented liner, the 130 has a thinner/lighter more touring focused liner). Right away the boot felt a bit more snug on my feet than the (unmodified) Langes initially and after putting in a custom insole they felt snug but uniformly snug all around which is awesome.

I first used the Hawxs for a quick tour up A Basin and a half day of skiing inside the resort. Right away I noticed how much lighter* the boots felt and the ease and effectiveness of the walk mode were just awesome. Skiing down some steeper soft bumps and crud I did notice that the new boot was a touch softer than the Langes, just a hair but noticeable although laterally they felt almost just as quick. Wow. The Atomics were also warmer than the Langes in which my feet get cold after a few laps. (It was 0ºF! during this day and the new boots performed great, I really do not like to ski on the Langes when it is this cold!).

I was VERY impressed with the Atomics. They are simple and effective boots for both in-bounds and backcountry/touring skiing. Obviously walking on the Atomics is a HUGE improvement over the Langes not only due to the grippy WTR sole but mostly for the reduced weight and walk mode which is super easy to engage and disengage with gloves on. They make the skiing experience more comfortable and enjoyable. This is the future of ski boots no question.

*Measured weights using my electronic kitchen scale: Lange RS130 (2016, 27.5): 5 lb 2.1 oz ; Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 (27.5) 3 lb 11.4 oz

*I used the boots on Marker Baron L bindings (2017, SoleID) and the Adjustable AFD accommodated the new boots perfectly

View attachment 37890

View attachment 37891

View attachment 37892

Sidewinder

Booting up
Skier
Funny - I just made the exact same switch, and am virtually the same physical stats and boot size. I found the same - much snugger fit and they ski extremely well. More flex, but not too much by any means. Did you have yours molded? I eventually did due to a few pressure points and am questioning whether they loosened a bit on my smaller foot. Still a better fit than the Langes (even with Zipfits) and as a bonus - there was a noticeable improvement in my alignment after molding. Very happy with the boots. Worked a race all weekend in them and no sore feet.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Funny - I just made the exact same switch, and am virtually the same physical stats and boot size. I found the same - much snugger fit and they ski extremely well. More flex, but not too much by any means. Did you have yours molded? I eventually did due to a few pressure points and am questioning whether they loosened a bit on my smaller foot. Still a better fit than the Langes (even with Zipfits) and as a bonus - there was a noticeable improvement in my alignment after molding. Very happy with the boots. Worked a race all weekend in them and no sore feet.

I did not have them molded. No pressure points yet. Once the liner packs out I might go and have some pads and or spacers added to keep the fit. They are also a bit easier to get into compared to the langes which is a bonus. The walk mode and the soles make such a huge difference even inside the resort. I have not checked alignment although I did not have any issues regarding that in the Langes when my bootfitter measured it. At some point I might try a rear spoiler to increase lean angle a tad but right now it feels good. I will go and do some more resort skiing today to really check for any fit issues.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not have them molded. No pressure points yet. Once the liner packs out I might go and have some pads and or spacers added to keep the fit. They are also a bit easier to get into compared to the langes which is a bonus. The walk mode and the soles make such a huge difference even inside the resort. I have not checked alignment although I did not have any issues regarding that in the Langes when my bootfitter measured it. At some point I might try a rear spoiler to increase lean angle a tad but right now it feels good. I will go and do some more resort skiing today to really check for any fit issues.

Blister has a pretty thorough discussion of the 120 vs 130, different liners etc:

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2017-2018-atomic-hawx-ultra-xtd-120

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
99% certain, to increase forward lean, you just remove the lock lever mechanism on the upper and then flip the metal it screws into (inside the boot) upside down. This moves the boot from 15* fwd lean to 17* fwd lean without affecting calf volume. Atomic calls it a flip chip and is working on a 13* version as an aftermarket accessory.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
99% certain, to increase forward lean, you just remove the lock lever mechanism on the upper and then flip the metal it screws into (inside the boot) upside down. This moves the boot from 15* fwd lean to 17* fwd lean without affecting calf volume. Atomic calls it a flip chip and is working on a 13* version as an aftermarket accessory.

Thats awesome. Really put the boot to the test today using both pairs of skis on a wide range of terrain and I love it. On groomers they are just oh so smooth. Do not miss the Langes really. Off piste with my big skis they were really responsive. They are light but they are powerful.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I'm starting to research new boots in anticipation of my ankle fusion. I currently ski the Lange RS 130 in 27.5 and love them but am not sure how hard it will be to get my foot in these with very little dorsiflexion. I've ready great reviews on these Atomic boots. I've never owned a pair of boots with the walk mode but I wondered if that would likely make the boot a lot easier to get into. Any thoughts on that? How much more upright is the boot in walk mode? Thanks!

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm starting to research new boots in anticipation of my ankle fusion. I currently ski the Lange RS 130 in 27.5 and love them but am not sure how hard it will be to get my foot in these with very little dorsiflexion. I've ready great reviews on these Atomic boots. I've never owned a pair of boots with the walk mode but I wondered if that would likely make the boot a lot easier to get into. Any thoughts on that? How much more upright is the boot in walk mode? Thanks!

They are not super easy to get into just like most of your typical 4 buckle boots. The walk mode is awesome for touring and walking and so are the grippy soles. The reduced weight is also quite noticeable and really helps reduce fatigue.

The XTD's are not as burly as the Lange RS obviously which noticeable while charging on firm snow at higher speed in the resort. But even in those conditions they do quite well and certainly great for a boot of such light weight and walking capability. I was impressed.

If you have trouble getting into boots check out the new Salomon QST PRO 130 TR. Also check out the Dalbello Panterra 130 ID (walk mode) or the Krypton 130's (no walk mode). Their "cabrio" or 3 piece shell design is easier to get into for sure.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are not super easy to get into just like most of your typical 4 buckle boots. The walk mode is awesome for touring and walking and so are the grippy soles. The reduced weight is also quite noticeable and really helps reduce fatigue.

The XTD's are not as burly as the Lange RS obviously which noticeable while charging on firm snow at higher speed in the resort. But even in those conditions they do quite well and certainly great for a boot of such light weight and walking capability. I was impressed.

If you have trouble getting into boots check out the new Salomon QST PRO 130 TR. Also check out the Dalbello Panterra 130 ID (walk mode) or the Krypton 130's (no walk mode). Their "cabrio" or 3 piece shell design is easier to get into for sure.

Thanks for the info Ken. My Lange's are particularly difficult to get in/out of but I know things will be a lot more difficult once my ankle is fused and I can't point my toes to make the curve into the boots. That's where I was wondering if "walk mode" would help. I'll look into those other boots.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks for the info Ken. My Lange's are particularly difficult to get in/out of but I know things will be a lot more difficult once my ankle is fused and I can't point my toes to make the curve into the boots. That's where I was wondering if "walk mode" would help. I'll look into those other boots.

I actually put on my boots in ski mode because it helps me get more leverage to get the front overlapping plastic open. It helps a LOT (with both the Atomics and the Langes) to warm up the boot quite a bit with a boot heater or even the car heater before trying to put them on. It is basically one of the downsides of the traditional four buckle design. The flex of the other designs like the Salomon and the Dalbellos feel a tad different. I probably could have gotten used to it but I love the feel of the more traditional shells.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, put the boot on walk mode and it's a lot easier to get in.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

I have issues moving my toes at all. A heated boot bag is the only way I can get into my boots. It's really a night and day difference once the boot is heated up and soft. Also, once I switched to a lace-up liner and started putting the liner on first, putting the boots on became super easy.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been doing some research on the hawx ultra XTD, since I'd like to start touring more next season. Definitely interested in the XTD120 for its beefier liner. Looks like this thread has a high percentage of people who already have the boot. Be appreciative for any pointers and info. Maybe if I could ask @Philpug to chime in as well?

Anyone know if cooking the shells allows any appreciable molding in the heel? Or can the plastic in the heel support a punch? Or a 3rd option: is the plastic thick enough in the heel to grind out in order to accommodate a heel spur?

My bootfit situation is complicated by heel spurs on both feet, like so:
20180506_230211.jpg

Looking at photos of the XTD, not sure a punch is viable, as the location seems to be overlapping with the latch on the heel that the walk mode lever locks into.

So, that would leave the memory fit heat molding or grinding out a pocket for the spur as the other possibilities. Any suggestions?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been doing some research on the hawx ultra XTD, since I'd like to start touring more next season. Definitely interested in the XTD120 for its beefier liner. Looks like this thread has a high percentage of people who already have the boot. Be appreciative for any pointers and info. Maybe if I could ask @Philpug to chime in as well?

Anyone know if cooking the shells allows any appreciable molding in the heel? Or can the plastic in the heel support a punch? Or a 3rd option: is the plastic thick enough in the heel to grind out in order to accommodate a heel spur?

View attachment 45491

Looking at photos of the XTD, not sure a punch is viable, as the location seems to be overlapping with the latch on the heel that the walk mode lever locks into.

So, that would leave the memory fit heat molding or grinding out a pocket for the spur as the other possibilities. Any suggestions?
The heal pocket has some of the thickest plastic in the boot, with the right heat & tools, the boot can be punched in that area to accommodate a pocket for that spur.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 45491

Would that spot on your heal not be a good candidate for Zipfit liners to where the OMfit would get pushed away from that spot? I'm a new enough Zipfit owner that my suggestion isn't worth much but I'd think that would be right up their alley. Or a custom foamed liner that leaves space for that heel spur. A punch or grind would be the cheaper route but it's possible a different liner could also help.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm late to the discussion but I'll add:

• I have the XTD 130, 26.5
  • I take the liner out with my foot in it and put the boot on liner first, then shell. Walk mode does not make this easier, especially taking the boots off.
  • I used my boots without molding them first. They were a good fit to start then I noticed some pressure around the heel. Molding took care of the discomfort and these are as comfortable as my race boots, which is excellent.
  • My race boots are noticeably but not ridiculously stiffer (Fischer Vacuum Pro 130) but i don't mind as the XTDs are still extremely responsive and supportive. It turns out I don't mind softer when I'm not racing!
  • I do need the heated boot bag for the race boots, but not the XTDs. Heated bags make any boots easier to put on.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
My heel spurs are bigger than those and molding the boot (XTD 130)seemed to accommodate them. Don't have many hard days in them yet. I padded pressure points before molding. It feels like both cuff angle and alignment both improved dramatically by molding. Before molding, Knees when flexing where way to lateral, now pretty neutral.
I have a high instep and for me this is one of the hardest boots ever to get on. But once it's on, the instep is pretty generous after a tonguectomy was performed. The reinforcement over the instep bump on the tongue did not mold enough for me, shell seemed to do well.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks all, for the feedback!

@surfandski, I'm a new zipfit owner, too. Skied them all of this past season, and they were great. But there's just not enough OMFit material back there in the heel to make an appreciable difference when confronted with my heel spurs. Hopefully molding and/or a highly localized punch can accommodate my spurs. Sounds like it may from all the other comments. Now I just need to find a shop that carries the XTD for next season. May have to travel up to Tahoe for a boofitting day, as it's somewhat slim pickings for touring-specific equipment here in the south Bay Area.

Sponsor

Staff online