• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Official Pugski Members only Private Ski Resort.

Tony Warren

Me on the left, The Padre on the right
Skier
The premise is this; an unknown benefactor of incredible wealth is a member of our Pugski family. He gives us $1.5 billion bucks to build our private resort. The mountain is amazing in that it has endless powder days on the North Face and perfectly groomed runs on the East Face. It has astonishing snowmaking and all of the necessary grooming equipment to keep the hill in perfect shape during its 7 months of operations. It only snows at night, all days are bluebird days.
perfect-resort-jpg.12813
The rules are;

Each member of the club can name up to 3 of our favourite ski runs from any resort in the world and have them recreated on our new and fabulous mountain;

The resort is within 30 minutes of all members and luxurious and inexpensive ski in, ski out accommodations are available for a total of three weeks per year per member. Day trips are unlimited;

All parking is within a 2 minute walk to a lift;

The food is a selection of the best resort restaurants on earth;

All food costs and beverages are either $3.00 or $5.00 per menu item, appetizers and small snacks free!;

All lifts are enclosed and heated high speed chairs;

Any ski is available at wholesale prices including bindings. The only limitation is that no quiver can contain more than 5 pairs at any given time; and

Ski tuning, boot fitting, and services are free.

What do you want the resort to have for runs, what amenities do you want, what skis would you have in your quiver? What hotels would you like? What other activities would you like to have available.

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
DSCF3458.JPG
DSCF3529.JPG

Well for a hotel I would have to go for having the Pan Pacific in Whistler -- probably my favorite ski area hotel. Plus the continental breakfast buffet they serve is the best. Will have to think a bit for the other items.

As for restaurants I have simple tastes. I like Fatty's Pizzeria in Breck for their sandwiches.
DSCF5503.JPG

And for background scenery it is hard to top Chamonix (although I would like something more mellow for the actual ski trails -- like Breck or Snowmass).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

TS
Tony Warren

Tony Warren

Skier
My choices for runs are;

Men's Downhill, Lake Louise;
Lone Pine, Norquay; and
Highway 16, Marmot Basin.

My first Hotel Choice would be the Post Hotel at Lake Louise. My second would be The Jasper Park Lodge.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bathrooms from Snowbasin.

Run:
From Mad River Glen. Catamount Bowl to Beaver to Lynx.

Food from Snowbasin

Parking/Beach Spot from Arapahoe Basin. Pugski Members get first chance at all beach spots.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hotel - Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, The Fairmont Chateau Whistler is up there in my book also.

On Mountain food - Sun Valley

Runs - Steep like TSV. Might as well get the bumps & trees from there also.
Snow - Utah gold from AltaBird

Quiver wise - Only 5? I'll have to think about what to delete from my current quiver. :( :doh:

TS
Tony Warren

Tony Warren

Skier

Run:
From Mad River Glen. Catamount Bowl to Beaver to Lynx.

Food from Snowbasin

Parking/Beach Spot from Arapahoe Basin. Pugski Members get first chance at all beach spots.

I like the idea of a beach for off season and of course the Members Only rules would apply to that aspect of the resort. I think it is hard to beat Okanagan Lake for this though.

Is Mad River Glen private now? I think a friend of mine has a joint up there.

TS
Tony Warren

Tony Warren

Skier
Hotel - Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, The Fairmont Chateau Whistler is up there in my book also.

On Mountain food - Sun Valley

Runs - Steep like TSV. Might as well get the bumps & trees from there also.
Snow - Utah gold from AltaBird

Quiver wise - Only 5? I'll have to think about what to delete from my current quiver. :( :doh:

Great choices. I knew the biggest challenge would be the limited quiver. I reduced mine by 5 pairs last year, down from 20 a decade ago. This year two pairs! I think I was about 15 when I last only had one pair of skis.

The snow for you on the South Side will always be Utah Gold, if a skier doesn't like that they are wrong. :beercheer:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Easy... mid-winter heli access and a couple cable cars for Tateyama, JP, a ring of 10,000' peaks with snow totals that are absolutely ridiculous. Mind bending great terrain. If it were in fact ever a ski resort, it'd be on every skier's 'must do before dying' list.

tateyama-snowwall.jpg

No, this is not photoshopped. This is the spring bus access road that usually opens the last week/weekend of April.

Just open one of the lodges that's already there after diggin it out. Hot springs, fly in a chef for meal prep, have them pack a mad lunch to take with, maybe make one or two groomers when conditions off piste are hairy, but other than that, you see it, you ski it. Yes, I'd keep lifts limited, so yes, you'd have to skin to access a good bit of the terrain.

Architecture would all be by either Peter Zumthor or Kengo Kuma. :)

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
La Grave - anything more or less but I'll pick Triffides to the river

Stuben - Albona North Face

A Basin - Molly Hogan

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Food from Cervinia rest of you can give up now on that.

après from Austria, St Anton, Ischgl or Sandbach.

Bartenders and clientele - the Scandi girls from Chambre Neuf Chamonix

Snowfall from Hokkaido

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Alta's powder terrain (snow cats at our command, rather than mandatory traversing, helicopters if snow cats can't get through, snowboards welcome to ride in either since no traversing in or out)
Mary Jane's bump runs, especially Outhouse.
Birds of Prey groomers, NASTAR/Beer League Race runs.

Buck Hill MN's donuts, chili, and french fries.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Amen to fatbob for Zermatt/Cervinia for on-mountain food. Chalet Etoile, Zum See and Chez Vrony are the 3 best on-mountain meals I've had anywhere.
I'll defer on the après, but I'll bet skibob is right about that too.

Ski terrain:
Intermediate trails: Vail's Avanti or Riva Ridge
Intermediate natural terrain: Mammoth's chairs 3,5,14
Advanced terrain: Jackson Hole's Hobacks/Lower Faces, rotated ~135 degrees to face north
Expert terrain: Eduardo's at Las Lenas, also rotated ~60 degrees to face away from any direct sun. There are 40 degree pitched inbounds runs in North America, but Eduardo's is sustained 40 for 2,000 vertical.
Tree skiing: Selkirk/Monashee old growth. Baldface, Mustang, White Grizzly etc. Fernie and Red Mt. are as close as you get in lift service.
Spring skiing: Mt. Bachelor's Summit, 360 degree volcano, perfect corn all day based upon aspect. Let's make it Mt. Fuji for more vertical!

Snowfall: Hokkaido in January, consistent 6 inches every day. The powder may get tracked but rarely packed down. So the next morning's 6 inches still skis like 12+.

I'd be content with a 3-ski quiver, 2 of which I have already:
Blizzard Bonafide all mountain
DPS Wailer 112 Pure 3 for powder
I'd also want a relatively narrow 70-80mm carving ski
Make that 4, something for touring.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There would be lobster rolls available for lunch and a ski locker next to the lift for say 4 pair of skis. There might be an attendant inside the locker tending to the skis. I wouldn't have to pay him very much because he'd know I could just keep him locked in there.

TS
Tony Warren

Tony Warren

Skier
There would be lobster rolls available for lunch and a ski locker next to the lift for say 4 pair of skis. There might be an attendant inside the locker tending to the skis. I wouldn't have to pay him very much because he'd know I could just keep him locked in there.

I was thinking ski concierge. But trapped techies does sound like a cheaper way. Mind you, once you pay your $500.00 annual fees for up to 12 people, all club services are free.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
what skis would you have in your quiver?

Well, every single ski in the universe, of course, some in two lengths so I could bounce between them. (You don't know me yet ;-) )

As for restaurants I have simple tastes. I like Fatty's Pizzeria in Breck for their sandwiches.
dscf5503-jpg.12406

I only just ate there a couple of weekends ago for the first time! Great salads.

+1

I have to admit that when it comes to ski resorts, I really only know Breck well. But a lot of people would love Breck's runs if they didn't have to deal with Breck's crowds. I pick CJ's, The Burn, and ummmmmmm oh yes - Charlie's Trees (a tree line between the groomer and the double black bumps on Peak 10) ... all on the ever-powder side, of course. Free refills.

TS
Tony Warren

Tony Warren

Skier
Well, every single ski in the universe, of course, some in two lengths so I could bounce between them. (You don't know me yet ;-) )

I only just ate there a couple of weekends ago for the first time! Great salads.

+1

I have to admit that when it comes to ski resorts, I really only know Breck well. But a lot of people would love Breck's runs if they didn't have to deal with Breck's crowds. I pick CJ's, The Burn, and ummmmmmm oh yes - Charlie's Trees (a tree line between the groomer and the double black bumps on Peak 10) ... all on the ever-powder side, of course. Free refills.

Remember though, your quiver can only contain a maximum of 5 pairs at any given time. So choices have to be made.

Remember also that the resort is exclusive, there are no crowds, only fellow Pugski members.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Remember though, your quiver can only contain a maximum of 5 pairs at any given time. So choices have to be made.

But ... why limit the fantasy?

I think I would have to be really boring and say my La Ninas, and then a perfect powder ski that I have yet to find. (This and my terrain selection are all based on a time when my knee is no longer busted.)