The official "I'm stuck inside and need to cook/bake" thread

James

Skiing the powder
Instructor
Have not used a starter/levain yet. That requires significant planning ahead
Yeah I despise dealing with starter. Not bad if you bake everyday, or when it’s been left awhile in fridge and you have two days to get it going, and plan. But the result is much better for your body.
If you get into bread, get a scale. Sooo much easier. You can do stuff in your head if need be. Like what’s 75% of 8 3/4 cups? With a kg, 1,000 gms, it’s a trivial 750.
Share your favorite Youtube of it!
This is the video over 10 yrs ago that started the current widespread interest in bread making.
( Don’t know why quality is so bad)

Here’s the follow up some years later.. Some concepts.

Here’s a more complete video instruction. It’s the first one.

skiki

Putting on skis
Skier
^ That sounds really great, @luliski
I have two bundles in the fridge (wife bought two the other day) and was wondering what to do with the one that I didn’t use for asparagus risotto.
I like to wrap the asparagus with strips of prosciutto and put it on the grill. Crispy, Salty. Good. Also a good finger food type appetizer for a dinner party.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I like to wrap the asparagus with strips of prosciutto and put it on the grill. Crispy, Salty. Good. Also a good finger food type appetizer for a dinner party.
Do you pre-cook the asparagus first. Do you use the thin or the thick asparagus? It sounds like a good appetizer tell me more please.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
Yeah I despise dealing with starter. Not bad if you bake everyday, or when it’s been left awhile in fridge and you have two days to get it going, and plan. But the result is much better for your body.
If you get into bread, get a scale. Sooo much easier. You can do stuff in your head if need be. Like what’s 75% of 8 3/4 cups? With a kg, 1,000 gms, it’s a trivial 750.

This is the video over 10 yrs ago that started the current widespread interest in bread making.
( Don’t know why quality is so bad)

Here’s the follow up some years later.. Some concepts.

Here’s a more complete video instruction. It’s the first one.
Having eaten your bread, I will never question your tips on making bread. :D

P-Ute

Getting on the lift
Skier
Do you pre-cook the asparagus first. Do you use the thin or the thick asparagus? It sounds like a good appetizer tell me more please.
See receipe link:

Mayo and lemon zest for serving are good, but unneeded.
No need to precook asparagus! Medium thickness work best imo, not too thin or thick.
I like to wrap a full piece of prosciutto around the spear.
Grill temperature should be medium to low. I try for grill marks and browning, not blackening.
Prosciutto can be rather salty so I usually do some wrapped and some plain.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
We had salmon tacos, black beans, yellow rice and fresh guac for dinner last night. My son was livestreaming his finance class during dinner. He said he much prefered mom's fresh salmon to the protein bar he would normally eat during class.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I made these for dinner today, using bacon instead of prosciutto, and they came pretty tasty. I didn't worry about the sauce--salt & pepper, just wrapped the chicken in bacon and baked them.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Skier
Made some bread, nothing better that warm Italian artisanal bread with some olive oil, chopped rosemary, black sesame seeds, chopped thyme, shredded Pecorino Toscano and sea salt for dipping ... not the "best" calorie content but very comforting ...

OTOH, interesting observation ... my activity level did drop significantly (no skiing, tennis, bike riding) but my weight is still the same !?

I noticed that I do not eat as much but I eat better - more home cooked meals, no silly store bought "snacks" and so on ... I did not have Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in 2 weeks !!!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Leftover empanadas, orzo in a chicken broth, a hazy IPA, and an orange from my tree. I grocery shopped for my parents today, and all I bought for myself was beer, toothpaste and almond milk. After working yesterday (at a hospital) I didn't have the energy to plan next week's meals, and I have lots of leftovers and pantry items.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
That moment when you realize that your bananas are ripe enough to make your grandma's banana bread
Then there's the moment you realize your shortening package says, 'best if used by October 2017'
That's when you realize that you haven't baked in a very long time.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister-- Aspen 2021
"Best by" dates are rough estimates only. If it tastes and smells normal it's fine! Even for very perishable things.

I had a friend who would throw out milk as soon as it hit the date on the carton, whether it was going bad or not. Personally, if it tastes fine, it's good. On the other hand, I've had butter that went bad even before it's date - ruined a batch of popcorn!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
"Best by" dates are rough estimates only. If it tastes and smells normal it's fine! Even for very perishable things.
Yeah, it wasn't good. I checked.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Does anyone have a good recipe for grits?
We have a bag of them in the freezer that was brought to us from a friend in South Carolina and I really have no idea how to give them the justice they deserve.
The only grits I have every made are cheesy - does that count? I have used this recipe for grits (ground white hominy) or polenta (medium grind cornmeal). We serve the grits with sautéed beans and greens and chicken sausages. The polenta with an Italian dish in place of pasta.

6 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal or grits

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

1 cup milk

1. In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Salt it with the 1 tsp of salt. Once it is boiling, whisk in the cornmeal.

2. Reduce the heat to low and let the cornmeal simmer until it is tender about 15-20 minutes. It will be really thick, so yes, you are doing it right.

3. Stir in the butter and let it melt. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted, followed by the milk.

4. Taste and season with any additional salt and pepper needed. Serve hot!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
I like to cook polenta with chopped up basil or sun-dried tomatoes. Drop them in during the boil and stir phase. Cool the mass in tupperware till it sets up. (Overnight works - never checked how long is long enough.) Then pop it out of the tupperware, slice, and cook again. It helps to let it warm up some first -- otherwise it's hard to get it hot all the way through.
It is tough to pan fry it without sticking -- that is what made me finally break down and buy a teflon pan.
I haven't tried a non-contact second cooking in the oven, but I think it should work.