The official "I'm stuck inside and need to cook/bake" thread

Andy Mink

I am a half fast skier.
Pugski Ski Tester
At the request of @Goran M. here is a thread where you can put all your recipes and food photos to keep us fed and fat while sequestered! Let's keep the COVID-19 discussion in THIS thread. Food only here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Skier
Might fizzle but ... let's keep it going !!!

Good thing is that everybody has 3 meals (at most 4 meals) a day - 3 posts a day ...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
@Goran M. I think this is a great idea.
In fact, I've been thinking about this a lot since reading posts on the Weight Watcher Connect app.
I can't believe how many of the members are upset about restaurants closing because they have their WW daily points figured out based on restaurant menus.
Part of the reason I think many of these people are overweight is because they don't know how to cook and they eat out all the time.
When Phil and I joined WW last summer, we found the program to be easy because we know how to cook and know how to substitute one thing for another if its lower fat or sugar.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
My wife and I used to eat at restaurants five or six days a week. It just worked better with our schedule (gym after work), and we enjoyed it. So eating at home this many days in a row has been a big change.

I do enjoy cooking, but in the past few years I have fallen into a pattern of cooking for dinner parties and holidays, and only an occasional weekend night.

[When we were dating and first married, I cooked nearly every night. But when our son was born, the earlier dinner time meant my wife had to do the cooking, and she never really liked it. After we became empty nesters, we fell into the restaurant pattern.]

I have trouble getting motivated to do something elaborate for just the two of us. Maybe this thread will inspire me....

ETA -- we have plenty of cheese and wine, but running out of crackers to go with it, and of course no bread. I might have to bake some... I think I have yeast -- hope it's still alive.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pass Pulled
My wife and I used to eat at restaurants five or six days a week. It just worked better with our schedule (gym after work), and we enjoyed it. So eating at home this many days in a row has been a big change.

I do enjoy cooking, but in the past few years I have fallen into a pattern of cooking for dinner parties and holidays, and only an occasional weekend night.

[When we were dating and first married, I cooked nearly every night. But when our son was born, the earlier dinner time meant my wife had to do the cooking, and she never really liked it. After we became empty nesters, we fell into the restaurant pattern.]

I have trouble getting motivated to do something elaborate for just the two of us. Maybe this thread will inspire me....

ETA -- we have plenty of cheese and wine, but running out of crackers to go with it, and of course no bread. I might have to bake some... I think I have yeast -- hope it's still alive.
Get a wok and a cook book, and don't obsess over "elaborate".

In our house, I'm king of the one pot meal!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
don't obsess over "elaborate".
Let's see -- so far (not in chronological order)
spaghetti twice, beef tacos, chicken tacos, beef stew, pulled pork twice (from one batch, and another meal's worth left -- the famous 3 ingredient recipe I learned from @Needham ), steak.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Skier
If we are allowed to venture outside and IF fresh and seasonal vegetables and fruits are available ... I suggest fresh yellow beans ... fresh green peas ... vegetable broth ... dill ... spoon food ...

This is fun ... I will try to get my "celebrity" chef friend to chime in ...

Shawn C.

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've started to bake bread recently. I'm 4/4 so far, though my first focaccia was a little dense. I need to knead it much less, I think. I love to cook but always thought baking bread to be difficult for the home cook. Like, how many chickens do you have to sacrifice for the bread to turn out ok? Not true! In fact, it is technically pretty easy. It's been fun and satisfying to do. I'm very glad I finally gave it a try.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pass Pulled
In A previous life, I was co-owner in a small bakery in North New Hampshire. I never imagined working so long hours for so little $ return. My partner and I (love you Willie) made the BEST bread I've ever eaten. Sour, Pump, and whole wheat from stone ground flour we ground from wheat berries only moments before mixing the dough.

Now, I try to eat less bread...

go figure.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to bake bread often when I lived in a foggy part of San Francisco and was always cold (good excuse to keep the oven on). Now, not so much. I live alone now, so one of my favorite things is to make something that gives me leftovers.
I don't have much of an appetite with all the current events, but tonight I'm making a broccoli soup from Deborah Madison's Vegetable Soups cookbook.

VickieH

Out on the slopes
Skier
I made beef stew today. The base recipe was https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/4735-old-fashioned-beef-stew

I used a lean cut of steak instead of stew beef. I added a heaping 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, heaping 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 3 cloves of garlic, green beans, and some red bell pepper that needed to be used up. I diced the onion and red bell pepper and added them early so they would cook down and become part of the gravy.

Tomorrow I'll probably saute asparagus in butter and garlic salt to have with the remaining stew.