• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sounds like Taos may get dumped on tmrw while we get garbage!

See, did a little of both there.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Colorado is skiing great but the latests storms have been weak. Past 3 weeks or so. The latest storm basically bypassed all the ski resorts and blanketed Kansas with heavy snow, Kansas! Denver has not had a snow storm of more than 6" is about 3 years or more.
Skiing here sucks.
Nothing to see.
Move along.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
When I first moved to Colorado a long time ago, I marveled at how it seemed to snow 2-4 inches every night, and the sun came out every day.
Would it be nice to see a big powder day?
Of course.
But 2018-2019 has been pretty good to us so far, and it seems to snow a little a lot!
And FWIW we have been skiing right onto the lifts all week.
I think we might be suffering from the 2017 Christmas hangover.
The skiing is very good, perhaps not sublime, but the mountain is wide open.

Reactions: BC.

James

Out There
Instructor
When I first moved to Colorado a long time ago, I marveled at how it seemed to snow 2-4 inches every night, and the sun came out every day.
Would it be nice to see a big powder day?
Of course.
But 2018-2019 has been pretty good to us so far, and it seems to snow a little a lot!
And FWIW we have been skiing right onto the lifts all week.
I think we might be suffering from the 2017 Christmas hangover.
The skiing is very good, perhaps not sublime, but the mountain is wide open.
Officially, you need to work on your bitching skills.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Officially, you need to work on your bitching skills.

OK, I am gonna give this a try....

On Jan. 24th we got too much snow after the grooming and the 5” of powder ended up getting piled up and messed up the normal groomed perfection of DV

How was that? :) :) :)

James

Out There
Instructor
OK, I am gonna give this a try....

On Jan. 24th we got too much snow after the grooming and the 5” of powder ended up getting piled up and messed up the normal groomed perfection of DV

How was that? :) :) :)
Getting better.
Other talking points:
  • Snow was too dry
  • Hideous clouds, awful visibility
  • Wind. Usually makes things miserable. Always good for bitching.
  • Underneath the perfect corduroy lies an ice layer somewhere - because of previous bad weather. This means the whole, gingerbread house with Hansi skiing in the yard scene, is a house of cards. Scary!
  • The constantly falling snow made getting from the car to the lift a nightmare. Even at Deer Valley, snow was piling up shoulders while the skis carried by the valet got caked.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Getting better.
Other talking points:
  • Snow was too dry
  • Hideous clouds, awful visibility
  • Wind. Usually makes things miserable. Always good for bitching.
  • Underneath the perfect corduroy lies an ice layer somewhere - because of previous bad weather. This means the whole, gingerbread house with Hansi skiing in the yard scene, is a house of cards. Scary!
  • The constantly falling snow made getting from the car to the lift a nightmare. Even at Deer Valley, snow was piling up shoulders while the skis carried by the valet got caked.

Sorry that was the best I could do, as the valet gathers the skis from the car under a covered portico and takes them to the slopes, so snow is not a problem prior to booting up :)

This is getting fun and humorous.

I did deal with flat light on the 24th as well, hence the Prizm Rose goggles to not have that happen again.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Sorry that was the best I could do, as the valet gathers the skis from the car under a covered portico and takes them to the slopes, so snow is not a problem prior to booting up :)

This is getting fun and humorous.

I did deal with flat light on the 24th as well, hence the Prizm Rose goggles to not have that happen again.
You need the Hi Pink Prizm, or Hi Orange non Prizm. There's also a yellow if you like that, many people do, but I dislike yellow. Prizm Rose just isn't bright enough for low light in the east. In the Alps at low light I dislike the odd glow it has to the snow in dim light. Many find it fine in Colo.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You need the Hi Pink Prizm, or Hi Orange non Prizm. There's also a yellow if you like that, many people do, but I dislike yellow. Prizm Rose just isn't bright enough for low light in the east. In the Alps at low light I dislike the odd glow it has to the snow in dim light. Many find it fine in Colo.

I’m not gonna ski that low altitude ice in the east :) I am a Western skier ;)

I do hope you know most of this is tongue in cheek stuff

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I do hope you know most of this is tongue in cheek stuff
Nope. No one realizes that. I can say with utmost confidence that everyone here is taking all of this super seriously. I mean, we're talking about bad ski weather. This may as well be life and death! I know that my life isn't complete without this thread and I'll be thankful to the day I die to Dwight for starting it.

Now go ski and let us get back to our bitching. :D

BTW... it's currently 54 degrees here in Pittsburgh! WTF!?!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Get off my lawn.

Because the snow is gone now. :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January