• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Colorado is skiing great but the latests storms have been weak. Past 3 weeks or so. The latest storm basically bypassed all the ski resorts and blanketed Kansas with heavy snow, Kansas! Denver has not had a snow storm of more than 6" is about 3 years or more.

I saw the 9News report the other day about this being the least snowiest month of Dec. ever. I can't remember if it was Danielle or Kathy but they were kind of generic and didn't say if that was just for Denver or the front range.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m not gonna ski that low altitude ice in the east :) I am a Western skier ;)

Sad thing is there are easterners who defend that low altitude ice and claim to enjoy it.(Good for them) I'm still here on the "least coast" and forced to ski it and wish more everyday to become a western skier. I grew up here in the east but recently have lost my " love" for New England skiing ( still do it though)

In the festivus spirit, in the 5 days I've gotten in so far (granted 4 of them in the banana belt Pocono's) the conditions have just been absolutely horrible. Its currently pouring outside, (as it has been ALL year) and tomorrow I will get up early, get to the mountain, strap on the boards and hit it till I can't stand it anymore. Had more "rainouts" last season then I can ever remember and have had 2 already this year.

Keep hearing of all sorts of potential after the New Year. Still plenty of season to go and the 2nd half is always the best. Along with the home bump got some fun weekends planned for New England (would love to fall back in "love" with NE skiing) and 2 trips out west, so a lot to look forward to.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
EFAFE31C-A874-4994-A359-B670180C91B7.jpeg

It’s not skiing.

But I guess it’s okay for a few days.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m not gonna ski that low altitude ice in the east :) I am a Western skier ;)
Certainly then should continue using a lens that you say is too dark and you can't see, simply because it's supposed to work in the West.

If you want to split the baby, use dark sunglasses and have light goggle lens. That way you've got bright covered and if weather and or clouds cone in you've got the goggles. That system works well, but some feel it's dorky to ski with sunglasses and goggles on the head. Whatever.

Meanwhile, the weather here has been crap. Minnesota get's 20" of snow, Vt gets ice pellets and rain. The actual skiing is pretty good if you can get up the mountain and if tou can deal with fog.

Honestly, this year if one has skied 5 days and four were terrible, your selection is bad or your standards are ridiculous. November in VT was probably the best ever. And until last friday things were very good. Even before todays terrible weather this week has been good.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile, the weather here has been crap. Minnesota get's 20" of snow
Ok, one place gets that. But I might as well drive 6 hrs more and be in Colorado.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, this year if one has skied 5 days and four were terrible, your selection is bad or your standards are ridiculous. November in VT was probably the best ever. And until last friday things were very good. Even before todays terrible weather this week has been good.

I think you posted that section in the wrong thread.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I have to leave this thread now. It is finally snowing, but really wet snow.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It will be going from 40 degrees to 0 in a few days, so there is always that. Low 20s would be nicer.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Meanwhile, the weather here has been crap. Minnesota get's 20" of snow, Vt gets ice pellets and rain. The actual skiing is pretty good if you can get up the mountain and if tou can deal with fog.

You're absolutely right that there have been both great and terrible days so far in New England. As someone who can only get out on weekends, things haven't been great though since the beginning of the month, at least for the natural terrain.

The best days I had skiing this season, by far, were December 1-2. I was skiing the glades in Sugarloaf after they had gotten 33" in the proceeding days, plus got to try out the Burnt Mountain cat skiing the day it opened for the season. Gosh, skiing Burnt Mountain and Brackett Basin reminded me of skiing the glades at Steamboat last season. I will confess that there were even a few moments as I was flying through the trees those days when I thought to myself, "who needs West Coast skiing? East Coast skiing is off the charts!"

And then in started raining in the afternoon on December 2. We've gotten a decent amount of snow in the East since the first weekend of December, but we've also gotten plenty of rain. There have been some great days since then if you could get out during the week, but the weekends have been underwhelming. When I left Sugarloaf on December 2, about 1,000 acres were open. Today, 359 acres are open. That says a lot :(.

But it's OK. We'll bounce back :) (sorry to end this post on a positive note)! Like a lot of people, I don't live in Boston to ski. I live here for other reasons, and consider the skiing an added bonus. If there's a takeaway from my little Sugarloaf story above, it's this: don't take great conditions for granted. Ski it while you can!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I hope we bounce back soon. We’ve received a ton of rain & freezing rain up here last night and today. It’s crap now.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
It just seems like it always rains just on the days I can ski. I have Monday and Tuesday off, but the only two days it's due to rain in the next week........Monday and Tuesday. It's been like that for weeks.........:rolleyes:

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Been skiing too much powder. Mother nature has decided to remind me I live in Oregon.

Sponsor