• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey look, the latest model run has slashed CO snow totals for the Saturday/Sunday storm. Now looking at 3-6".

When it was ~12", I could at least tell myself that we might bet enough snow on the ground to at least run the snowmobile around for an afternoon.

Joel has maintained 3-6" for his specific Copper forecast. I watched Denver's 9News and she was saying 2-4" at best. Who knows.

Skistaff

speed limit
Skier
My son has a HS SL race tonight and the temps will start at -6F and get down to -12F by the end... It's just to f'n cold for skiing IMO. It's been super cold in the midwest for 2-3 weeks and although I love winter, this stuff is starting to piss me off!!

They won't allow the kids to ski in just their speed suits tonight. Jacket and snowpants required in MN HS racing when it's below -5F. They cancel the race if it's -10 at start time. We'll be at -8 when varsity starts lol...
Only problem with the cold - there is no ski wax that's working.....

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Sort of beside the point, but I've skied 8" that was definitely not bottomless. Eight inches of light snow on top of hardpack/"ice" ... I'd rather have snow that's a little heavier in that situation.

Yeah. 8" is usually snow that I will float in *most* of the time, while 3" no.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Joel has maintained 3-6" for his specific Copper forecast. I watched Denver's 9News and she was saying 2-4" at best. Who knows.

Bottom line is this storm is just a refresher not a terrain opener unless there are a few surprise amounts in a few places.

At this rate we can expect January to slip by with no significant terrain openings statewide. What you are skiing now is what you will ski the rest of the month, hopefully better and with the addition of some cool terrain here and there that does not need much more snow to open.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah. 8" is usually snow that I will float in *most* of the time, while 3" no.

*nod* But float aside, I've skied 3" of heavy that nicely softened the hardpack beneath. I've skied 8" of light that essentially did nothing to gentle the hardpack.

At this rate we can expect January to slip by with no significant terrain openings statewide. What you are skiing now is what you will ski the rest of the month, hopefully better and with the addition of some cool terrain here and there that does not need much more snow to open.

And when the rope drops, you're looking at a few months of unskied, rotten snow.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
This morning's adaptive ski instruction briefing included needing to get approval to bring any student out of the bunny hill area. Stale 100% manmade snow with lots of traffic and thaw/freeze have made for very East Coast conditions.

Purgatory is done snowmaking, No more water to use.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
First ray of hope for Tahoe in 3 weeks. Raining now below 9000 ft . BA says good possibility of a colder storm
Monday to Wednesday and has bumped snow totals for that one up a bit Talking up to 3 to 14 inches base to top. ?

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
Right after Labor day I bought new ski's and boots. Neither have left the house and at this point I've moved on to Spring and backpacking. At least I won't be waiting on snow to clear in the Sierra.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
By this time next week Tahoe skiers will have abandoned this whining thread.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Killington closed today...yea, it is that cold.

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/conditions/dor

I decided to stay home this weekend and not go to Okemo as I do every weekend. Guess I made the right choice to stay home. I did ski after Xmas in that cold and didn't think it was worth the drive up to ski more in that kind of cold.

Just so you don't think I'm a wimp, I have skied when the temp was -29F back about 2001 or 2002 on a Friday for one of the Salomon Oasis Day's event at Okemo.

Another day, I was one of the few that skied, got one run up the lower lift when the wind chill was -75 and before Okemo closed that day. That was also back about that same time.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the front range, Ned is looking pretty bleak. I wore hiking boots, but honestly would have been fine with trail shoes. Maybe 70% of the trail had snow - more than the surroundings because the trail snow is preserved by being packed. Where there was snow, it was up to 4" of tracked out breakable crust.

This is around 8k feet.

View attachment 36320
I’ve hiked up there in June with lots more snow than that...wow, that’s dry.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Its snowing here in Avon, nothing major but its nice to see winter return. We are a long way from getting out of the dry hole but it is a start.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I had my first day of the season at Granby Ranch today. Yesterday they were showing two runs open off the Quick Draw lift. This morning there were three. By mid-day they had opened another. One of the open runs was the one where they always have their biggest terrain park. Today it was just a normal everyday run, with no park features in sight. To their credit, they are not expending their snowmaking resources on building terrain parks, but instead they are trying to get as much of the mountain open as possible.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There's a coating of snow on the deck now. Fingers crossed!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It rained hard in Tahoe City last night. If it had been cold enough, that would have been some good snowfall. There was lots of talk at squaw today of a storm coming next week. Hope it comes through!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January