• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
I am always interested to read the differing opinions about boot stiffness. (different from flex, a component really) I was waiting to see if @Chris Geib would chime in. I think that a consistent, even flex is as important as stiffness. When going to the BD liner, my boots are much softer but I have more control over the boot because of a very even and predictable flex pattern. I am enjoying @ScotsSkier 's comments and sitting here nodding my head and saying "yes". :thumb:

Hey @Ron ,

Boots, eh. Ugh…

I think I would summarize it like this: Boots suck!

Past that it gets complicated. Certainly more complicated in my mind then soft vs stiff …which is where good boot fitters, good coaches and our own level of understanding and involvement in the process come together along with our type of skiing, ability and personal preference.

As you know I ski in a somewhat stiff boot and it works for me. I do not think it is the answer for everyone.

I have also gone to lengths to work with boot fitters and coaches, and to experiment with all the parameters that @bud heishman has detailed as part of his fitting, alignment and balancing process. And I am still experimenting.

My experience is most people associate fit with “comfort” and stop there - most often in a boot that doesn’t fit, and while initially comfortable ultimately becomes uncomfortable.

I believe the stiffer boot you gravitate toward the more dialed in your alignment needs to be; I cannot stress that enough. As Bud explains all the time, that starts under your foot and builds from there in a properly shaped and fit boot for your foot/leg. My experience has shown that changing the size of the same boot or setup for you in the boot can dramatically effect how soft or stiff the same boot feels to you.

As we ratchet up into higher and higher performance boots I think we go past the point of being able to rely on the boot fitter to provide us a solution. We need to own the process as much or more then they do, and be willing to experiment and fail. That takes time, motivation, and effort (probably some money too!) to accumulate the experience, knowledge and understanding. Typical for the first few times to be less then ideal! …yes, that rotten boot fitter sold you a boot that was too big ...because of the rotten input/feedback you gave them ;)

To your point about flex. My thought is to achieve that even flex you refer to you need to be properly positioned in the boot (of the correct size/shape) with the boot then properly balanced. But a softer boot can also allow you to “move” and compensate for less then ideal positioning or alignment; they are also more forgiving of your miss-timed or inaccurate movements.

I wonder about the “very even” flex. Progressive maybe? Predictable and progressive maybe?? …so it gives you more back as you feed it more? I think this is where Phil was going with the quality/price thing. The cheap boot gives you little or nothing and goes till it bottoms out then stops abruptly as it tries to pinch off the front half of your foot while the better boot builds progressively to support you as the load increases.

I think more along the lines of the boot being there to support me under load vs using it primarily as a lever. That said, if I get out of position I want a solid boot there to work against to put myself back in order. A skier with more of a shins to tips style might look at this differently.

Type of skiing or technique maybe feeds in to determine preference (not right/wrong.) For example, I generally like to ski from this mogul to the next with my skis running primarily along their length as I feed the tips into the new mogul so I use the entire running length of the ski up to the top of the boot cuff as part of the complete suspension; otherwise I might prefer a different amount of give in my boot if I primarily use pivot, slip, bang as my mogul technique! Similarly if you are moving in harmony with the boot then it will not seem stiff, but if your alignment or movements are such you are in conflict with the boot then it will feel overly stiff and punishing; to that end, however, I would say there is some merit to having a stiff enough boot that they give you a proper reckoning if you are moving too inaccurately!

Many express stiff tight fitting race boots are uncomfortable. I think those two need taken apart. Stiffness of the shell does not dictate the fit/comfort. I skied for many years in a plug boot that was very comfortable until about 2 years ago when I injured my foot right before ski season. Prior to that I could ski all day without ever having to touch my buckles after the first run or two in a boot that is 2 or 2+ sizes smaller then my foot measures. It takes 3-4 hours of grinding on that boot to get that comfortable fit sculpted (and who wants to spend that much time with their boot fitter!) Since the injury, I have been trying to get that level of comfort back again over the past two seasons and my foot is now feeling right again just now, so I think I’ll have it back this season. However, I’m also intrigued by the BD foam liners that have been discussed, so I’m going to visit our boot guru Bud in the next couple weeks when our schedules allow to get some of them setup. Which liner did you get????

Well I guess that’s some tinder for the fire!

Best,

Chris

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
BD Liner is Freestyle.

Great response. FWIW, my shell is 2 sizes below street size. One thing that I do have going for me is that I have very "normal" feet so there's just not much that has to be done to my shells. The biggest issue has been ankle and upper instep areas which is where the BD came in. I used the term, "Consistent and even". That incorporates Progressive to some degree in that when pressed, the boot flexes at a constant rate and not abruptly as some do as the cuff meets the lower shell. My understanding of progressive is that it will require xplus energy to continue the flexing of the cuff. If this is correct, then yes, that is certainly a good thing, provided it increases at a constant level. Not a fitter, so I am sure I am not properly explaining it.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
BD Liner is Freestyle.

...One thing that I do have going for me is that I have very "normal" feet so there's just not much that has to be done to my shells...

That must be just awesome! ...I cannot relate to that :(

I think we are on the same page on flex :)

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
That must be just awesome! ...I cannot relate to that :(

I think we are on the same page on flex :)
:thumb:

boot fitters dream. I do have a long arch that extends to the met head, and need support behind the 2-4th met heads so making beds is challenging.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Boot Stiffness. Is it possible to have a stiff boot that flexes easily or say flexes medium ? Is it possible for a medium width foot (average) to go into a wide 102 last boot and work well for the skier ? How does a high arch effect which boots to wear ?

Just some pre winter thoughts.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
Hey Pete,

Whatcha after?

The first question seems like you are looking for a closing fitting performance fit with lateral stiffness and the flex dialed in to suit you like Brian shows in the quote below. But then the next question is about a wide boot with a not so wide foot ...if I understand correctly. Accommodating some foot issues??? ...warmth, circulation????

Sounds like a job for Bud :)

A stock racer boot (left boot) allows you to get the most lateral control & cut the shells down (right boot) to obtain a supple, weight/skill appropriate flex!

Race boots also have the option of running a stock (warm for cold days) liner or a full leather lace up liner (for control/power) when it counts.

image-jpeg.979

A new pair in process of being optimized to my skill/weight/terrain.

Hope you find this insightful!
Brian

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chris, I'm not really after anything just thought it was an interesting question

My old boots I didn't like the flex so worked them over till I liked and I don't have a wide foot but like the 102 last for comfort and warmth. My boots have awesom footbeds that really hold my foot and heel in place. Changing boots this year buy plan/hope to use my old liners and footbeds to give me that great fit. Fingers crossed.

I am NOT an expert bootfitter but know what I like in feel and performance so we'll see if I have made the right decision.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Boot Stiffness. Is it possible to have a stiff boot that flexes easily or say flexes medium ? Is it possible for a medium width foot (average) to go into a wide 102 last boot and work well for the skier ? How does a high arch effect which boots to wear ?

Just some pre winter thoughts.

An easy flexing stiff boot? It sounds like an oxymoron, are you referring to a progressive flex?

Yes a medium boot can go into a wide boot, and I am sure it is very common. If that skier is just skiing on the greens and blues and jsut standing on the ski, it will work. If they are skiing less than 10 days a season, one day here, one day there, that boot might never pack out and very well that skier is skiing with two pair of socks...there is many ways it can work well, but for someone who skis, not so much for a skier.

As far as the high arch, that has more to do with the footbed than the boot. If you are talking about a high instep, that has more to to with the boot choice.

jwolter7

jw7
Skier
Does anyone have an idea about how much range of ankle flexion should be available in a boot with proper flex?

According to ASTM an expert skier should need 17 degrees ROM, intermediate 23, beginner 33.

Not sure who or how (ASTM) made this decision or what info was used to arrive at this conclusion.
*Could take some time to find the link.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I've never heard that there's a supposed "rule" on boot flex. Do provide the link, if you can find it.
Does this source list another even smaller ROM for racers?

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
According to ASTM an expert skier should need 17 degrees ROM, intermediate 23, beginner 33.

Not sure who or how (ASTM) made this decision or what info was used to arrive at this conclusion.
*Could take some time to find the link.

Interesting? I have never seen or heard this and I question it's validity? As Chris suggested above and I believe, the boot flex is more my suspension system than anything else. Don't know why more or less range of motion would be a factor. I would think I would want to be able to use my whole ankle range of motion without endangering my ankle. Like suspension on a dirtbike, as we progress and/or gain weight the suspension needs to be adjusted to use the whole travel efficiently. If we are skiing fast and aggressive on firm snow in a rutted race course, we need stiffer suspension. Conversely, if we are beginners skiing slow to moderate speeds the suspension can and should be a bit softer to facilitate balance and control. Perhaps the stiffer boot helps the expert to recenter to the detent position (accuracy), while the softer boot compensates for the beginners inaccuracies and gross balancing adjustments (forgiveness).

On another note, the skier's actual ankle range of motion should be factored into how much travel is ideal.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Hey Pete,

Whatcha after?

The first question seems like you are looking for a closing fitting performance fit with lateral stiffness and the flex dialed in to suit you like Brian shows in the quote below. But then the next question is about a wide boot with a not so wide foot ...if I understand correctly. Accommodating some foot issues??? ...warmth, circulation????

Sounds like a job for Bud :)

I'm still after boot nirvana: even after cutting those down, I could not flex the boots when fully buckled up & strapped. In the past I would loosen the top buckle & strap. That simply made the boot sloppy. When I could load em, it was a binary on/ off feel.

What I'm after? A snug boot that flexes easily when fully buckled up for full contact. I'm not a 11/10 skier anymore, but I'm shocked that most ski a stock boot, uncut & several levels stiffer. Makes me wonder what would happen if folks were more realistic about their needs/flexes.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
I'm still after boot nirvana: even after cutting those down, I could not flex the boots when fully buckled up & strapped. In the past I would loosen the top buckle & strap. That simply made the boot sloppy. When I could load em, it was a binary on/ off feel.

What I'm after? A snug boot that flexes easily when fully buckled up for full contact. I'm not a 11/10 skier anymore, but I'm shocked that most ski a stock boot, uncut & several levels stiffer. Makes me wonder what would happen if folks were more realistic about their needs/flexes.

Hi Brian,

Sounds like ya know what ya want!

So what are you thinking is next to get you where you want to be?
Different boot?
More cutting?
Different power/booster strap?
Different ____ ????
Change ____???
Eat more donuts?
What else have you done already?

What boot is it that is already several levels softer then most?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Hi Brian,

Sounds like ya know what ya want!

So what are you thinking is next to get you where you want to be?
Different boot?
More cutting?
Different power/booster strap?
Different ____ ????
Change ____???
Eat more donuts?
What else have you done already?

What boot is it that is already several levels softer then most?

So.... I have several gray market boots but were using the Dobie as the test subject.

I fully cut to the limits of the markings & Nordica guidelines.

Swapped a power strap for 2" standard strap to help flex & bc as I get older the booster elastic cuts off circulation.

Started drilling hole in lower shell until I felt like I could flex it buckled up.

I love dounuts!

bud heishman

Instructor
Sky Tavern

Hey Brian, Try this.... before you buckle your top two cuff buckles, take your power strap and tighten it around just your boot liner, tucking the D ring inside the plastic cuff and snug it up good, then buckle the two cuff buckles over the strap. note: you may need to move the macro buckle adjustments to accommodate the strap. By doing this you can actually leave your top buckles looser if desired and not permit any gapping around your leg because as you flex you are pulling the boot spine with you. There is a video of this process on my Facebook page at Snowind Sports!

Also note that if the Sagittal plane is not ideal it could make flexing the boot more difficult. Have this assessed by an expert in alignment to optimize the four parameters affecting this plane!

Last edited:

bud heishman

Instructor
Sky Tavern
By matching a stiffer boot to a more mobile ankle and vice versa?

Not necessarily. I certainly would not put someone with severely limited ankle ROM into a softer boot. A more mobile ankle would warrant a higher net forward lean angle ie: more forward lean and less ramp angle. Then perhaps reducing delta angle to bring the lower leg angle more upright. Flex depends on a few factors but I tend to err on the stiffer side.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
So.... I have several gray market boots but were using the Dobie as the test subject.

I fully cut to the limits of the markings & Nordica guidelines.

Swapped a power strap for 2" standard strap to help flex & bc as I get older the booster elastic cuts off circulation.

Started drilling hole in lower shell until I felt like I could flex it buckled up.

I love dounuts!

Hey Brian,

Yes, donuts are good, eh!

Any pictures of the final configuration showing those holes you drilled??? Just curious!

Also curious how you configure the power strap? I also have good luck with a regular strap and I use it around the cuff with no issues getting full snug contact around my lower leg as I have enough meat there. I know what you mean about that slop if things are left loose and likewise prefer a good snug connection.

I know a lot of people that swear by the booster around the liner, so I bought one, but have yet to put it on; I expect I will sometime just to try if nothing else, but so far I have resisted fixing what is not broken. Somewhere posted here I also saw a product that has a dual strap to provide one around the liner and another around the shell that looks interesting, but maybe not for you!

I also ski in the Dobie 150, but I don't find it to respond in an On/Off fashion as you and others have found. So it makes me wonder what the differences are and how those differences effect our perceptions! I wonder if details like: where we sit in the boot, how our lower leg sits & aligns, length of segments, closure & overlap of the cuff, forward lean, etc. combine to give us a unique feel even in the same or similar boot. Thus why I don't find it excessively stiff and you cut it apart!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online