• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic/Salomon showing that WTR is Grip Walk compatible

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.09.47 AM.png

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
So this is an oddball. Look CS claiming that their dual WTR supports ISO9523??

What say you @Philpug ? Did someone just forget to drink coffee before responding to emails.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

What say you @Philpug ? Did someone just forget to drink coffee before responding to emails.
Let me look into that. I do not think it is correct. I know they DO accept Grip Walk, but the AFD needs to be set in the DIN portion, NOT the WTR one.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So a GripWalk boot MUST be used with a GripWalk compatible binding, right? No other way to do it (or get around it)?

Correct. The boot make click in a non-GripWalk binding but it won't release properly.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Let me look into that. I do not think it is correct. I know they DO accept Grip Walk, but the AFD needs to be set in the DIN portion, NOT the WTR one.
I just confirmed with my connections at the Rossignol Group, Dual bindings are NOT ISO 9523 compatible. Whether they forgot to drink their coffee or it was switched with decaf is being looked into ;). It is not that we want to get anyone in trouble is not the point, we just don't want anyone getting hurt.

dcpnz

Booting up
Skier
So in Phils chart above ^^^
Gripwalk boot / WTR binding specifically calls out "with adjustment".

Now we all know a STH2 always needed proper adjustment for any boot DIN or WTR so why is this only here?
Is there some adjustment required beyond setting toe height, wings and forward pressure as you would for any other boot?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So in Phils chart above ^^^
Gripwalk boot / WTR binding specifically calls out "with adjustment".

Now we all know a STH2 always needed proper adjustment for any boot DIN or WTR so why is this only here?
Is there some adjustment required beyond setting toe height, wings and forward pressure as you would for any other boot?
Obvlously, we all don't know... ;) They are just covering their butts.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Look CS claiming that their dual WTR supports ISO9523??

I just confirmed with my connections at the Rossignol Group, Dual bindings are NOT ISO 9523 compatible.

So, the chart above shows GripWalk, WTR and some Touring soles all listed as "ISO 9523". Yet they're not all compatible with the same bindings. Just curious...why is that? If they all meet the same dimensions listed in ISO 9523, one would think they all work with the same bindings (full disclaimer: I've never read said standard).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, the chart above shows GripWalk, WTR and some Touring soles all listed as "ISO 9523". Yet they're not all compatible with the same bindings. Just curious...why is that? If they all meet the same dimensions listed in ISO 9523, one would think they all work with the same bindings (full disclaimer: I've never read said standard).
That chart is Salomon's chart, not Look.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

It also is because ISO9523 is a very loose standard.

The chart is a little difficult to interpret, but the ISO9523 reference is to boots that are ISO9523 compliant and are WTR/GripWalk. Not ISO9523 alone.

Or in other words, most all (maybe all?) WTR or GripWalk boots are ISO9523. But there are a lot of ISO9523 boots that aren't WTR or GripWalk.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It also is because ISO9523 is a very loose standard.

The chart is a little difficult to interpret, but the ISO9523 reference is to boots that are ISO9523 compliant and are WTR/GripWalk. Not ISO9523 alone.

Or in other words, most all (maybe all?) WTR or GripWalk boots are ISO9523. But there are a lot of ISO9523 boots that aren't WTR or GripWalk.

This makes sense. Kind of like the fact that all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares, I suppose. I knew they weren't all necessarily compatible with each other...but had never seen them all called "ISO 9523" compliant...so that threw me off a bit. Did not realize that the ISO standard was that loose of a standard.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This makes sense. Kind of like the fact that all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares, I suppose. I knew they weren't all necessarily compatible with each other...but had never seen them all called "ISO 9523" compliant...so that threw me off a bit. Did not realize that the ISO standard was that loose of a standard.

https://www.sis.se/api/document/preview/919152/

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This sure has created confusion in the marketplace; not only with consumers, but also the shop/store employees. I had a guy today trying to convince me that GW boots will work in any current binding being sold this year. There are still 2018-19 bindings being sold that are not GripWalk compatible.

Stephen Witkop

switty
Skier
And adding to the confusion is what the boot makers are actually putting on their boots. After a quick look through some of the 2019 boot lines of the major manufacturers I don't see many boots that actually have Grip Walk soles on them. Many are "Grip Walk compatible, kit sold separately" with DIN soles standard. Nordica Pro Machines come with both DIN and Grip Walk in the box which is nice but the Speed Machines only come with DIN but are GW "compatible". This is going to make it more important than ever to go to a knowledgeable shop for boots and bindings.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January