• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Norwegian Way - Children's rights in sport

Kreative1

Booting up
Skier
Some food for thought, here is a quick clip from a longer segment on Real Sports regarding Norwegian Children's sporting culture and their bill of rights.

Here is the link to their Children's Rights in Sport.

Could you imagine if these rules also applied to US children?

Do you think more younger athletes would stick with sports longer? Perhaps children (and parents) would be happier while participating in youth sports.

Probably the biggest hurdle we have is the funding to keep costs low for clubs (Norway uses money from gambling).

We constantly push our kids to be the best ignoring what we know about children development and how that isn't really what they desire at a young age. I know some of you out there are race coaches, does this give you some ideas of approaching things differently the next season. Maybe you can do your own experiments and make some subtle changes to your program.

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
I think this great post does not get any responses simply because it's brutally non-controversial. Norwegians just got it right. Kids get to get outside and play. It's affordable. Even if it's not affordable, it's accessible. And there is no competition until later age.
I'm particularly impressed with the last one. More fun, later specialization and appreciation of sports and outdoors as something you do because it's good for you, not necessarily compete in

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think it’s great. The opportunity for this attitude here towards youth sports has sadly past most of our present day culture by. Here in the US crazy, unrealistic parents start trying to push their kids Division 1& Pro careers in their respective sports long before the kids have had a chance to learn and enjoy a sport.

Sponsor