• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The new dead end

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At one point in my (re)development the up move caused problems in moguls, because it lead to "double pumping". I would go up and down once to absorb and then up and down again to turn.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
At one point in my (re)development the up move caused problems in moguls, because it lead to "double pumping". I would go up and down once to absorb and then up and down again to turn.

I can see how that would be a little awkward. :doh:

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
I often have students change the timing from extending to make the edge change to beginning the edge change first then the extension! Switching the sequence seems to get the right things happening.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I often have students change the timing from extending to make the edge change to beginning the edge change first then the extension! Switching the sequence seems to get the right things happening.
Disrupting the pattern is often the first step. Sometimes it doesn't even matter if the disruption is completely dysfunctional. The most important thing is to change what you are doing, then maybe you can learn something better.

dm

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Isn't that the natural way to transition? Not that I do it well, but this looks like what @Bob Barnes calls the X move. The skis move freely underneath you on a longer radius, and your legs extend as they flow to the other side to start the new edge. Did I get this right?

TS
U

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
Mendieta,

Yes you have it right the problem is that most skiers don't. Most skiers extend off the platform provided by the outside ski before edge change, this moves the body away from the ski and the direction of the new turn. In the x-move the extension happens after the edge change and is used to maintain snow contact to establish early edge engagement.

uke

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
There's nothing inherently wrong with the up move. The problem is if it is the only thing you can do. What can be hard is to unlink the different skills. You should be able to move up without pivoting the skis. Some can't. This is where the instructor can introduce a drill to use as a pattern breaker to help the student unlink the two.

This would be more my understanding. I have a reflex reaction to a clearly good instructor saying anything that a thing which was once "good" is now "bad" in that I think that is exactly the sort of stuff that confuses occasional pupils and/or creates lack of confidence in the profession. How about it's an opportunity to experiment with alternate forms of weight transfer. It's pretty much the defining feature still of serious steeps skiing for the non straightlining rockstars.

Sponsor