The "Magic Move" of Skiing ?

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by Fishbowl, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Fishbowl

Fishbowl A Parallel Universe Skier

As a golfer struggling to improve my game, I bought a mail order book in the eighties called "The "Magic Move" of Golf". The book turned out to be a cheaply printed pamphlet written in 1974. Despite it's appearance, the content soon grabbed my interest as it described the exact same frustrations I had encountered learning to play golf. It promised to transform my golf game by focusing on a single, "magic" move that would fix all the faults in my swing by cause and effect. I would have a balanced, on plane swing with power, control and consistency. Not only would this swing work with the driver, but also with woods, irons, wedges, sand shots, and yes, even the putter. To cut to the chase, I tired it, and it worked. I don't know if it was the move itself, or the concept of a magic move, but looking back, this pamphlet was the turning point in my golf game.

So,

Is there a Magic Move of Skiing?

A simple instruction, a dedicated focus, a singular thought, an isolated concept, or a specific action that will remove all faults from the ski turn and reduce it to a model of cause and effect that the skier just has to initiate?

2. graham418

graham418 Out on the slopes Skier

3. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

"Pinkie leads the way"! :eek::P

LiquidFeet and Zentune like this.
  4. LouD-Truckee

LouD-Truckee Getting on the lift Skier

1chris5, gwasson and Mothertucker like this.
  5. Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson Out on the slopes Instructor

I'd say letting go.

6. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

7. Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald My Sunset View Skier

"Go fast; if something's in the way, turn!"

8. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

in desert looking down at a river and up at MT's
    Dynamic Balance. A couple of hundred days of skiing and most folks have it figured out.

9. rcc55125

rcc55125 Putting on skis Skier

10. mdf

mdf back to being an ordinary Gatheree Skier

I'm not sure if tuna is serious or sarcastic, but I agree.
    It is not the end point or the be-all of ski instruction, but it is the best way to fix what is wrong with the vast majority of skiers. Once you have that down, you can move beyond it.

11. LouD-Truckee

LouD-Truckee Getting on the lift Skier

12. Uke

Uke Who am I now Skier

Closest I ever came was 'Point your toes where you wants to goes'. I've had people approach me in the lodge and tell me that they had a lesson from me years ago and still remember and apply that idea. An awful lot of good things happen if you follow those words.

uke

Fishbowl likes this.
  13. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

I admit was being facetious, precisely because it is easy to believe that it is a universal fix - and OP's definition of 'magic move' leaves us open to either interpretation.

In other words it can be a magic move even if it is not particularly useful in the long run, so long as it makes one feel like angels and trumpets are going off in celebration. Any Weems' style biomechanical cookie could qualify, I suppose.

14. mdf

mdf back to being an ordinary Gatheree Skier

Sure it is an over-simplification and a quick fix that you should eventually grow out of, but I stand by my claim.
    And by "the vast majority of skiers" -- look around the next time you are out mid-season (not early or late season when the demographics are different). See all the heel-pushers and diagonal skidders?

15. geepers

geepers Putting on skis Skier

One single move to improve anyone's skiing? Assuming you are not already living in a ski resort then this is the best ski improvement move:
    [​IMG]

For better skiing there's nothing quite like getting out of bed straight into ski boots and clipping in as you head downhill.

Ok. I have to ask... What is this freakn "one thing" that makes golf so much better. If this is a marketing scam...

16. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Tip and Rip

1chris5 and François Pugh like this.
  17. Thread Starter
    TS
    Fishbowl

Fishbowl A Parallel Universe Skier

It was an isolation move base on rotating the area of the left chest around a stable spine. I hadn't wanted to derail my own thread with golf MA, so had left the details out. The concept was that by focusing on that specific area, you could eradicate negative input from the hands and shoulders. It would also help with unwanted lateral movements. It did work, perhaps not in the long run, but definitely as a catalyst to allow the body to swing the club with minimal analytical interference. Of course there may be many "moves" that could have similar effects. There is a system called Gravity Golf that focuses on the first few feet of the takeaway to set the entire swing in motion. And once in motion it requires no other input. It is supposedly based of Jack Nicholas's swing. Over the years I discovered other "magic" moves, that put my swing back on track.

The golf swing and the ski turn seem to have a similar level of technical complexity, so if the process works for golf, it seamed feasible that it might for skiing. The object is to find a simple, isolated move that causes a (correct) chain reaction. I think the closest move I can think of in skiing is lightening and tipping the inside foot and then "allowing" the rest of the turn to unfold from there. I just wondered if other forum members had discovered a move, or thought, that allowed then to ski without constant analysis. We have a tendency to break things down into infinite detail, when sometimes simplicity provides faster results?

18. T-Square

T-Square Terry Moderator Instructor

There is a big difference between skiing and golf. Movements in skiing are performed from a dynamic platform. Except for starting, a skier is in constant movement. In golf the movement of a swing starts and ends from a stable, semi-static position (unless, of course, you follow the Happy Gilmore school of golf :eek:.) While I admit that a golf swing is very complex in its own way, because of the dynamic nature of skiing there is a greater range of complexity making a “Magic Move” probably an unobtainable thing. Witness the major disagreements we see in the Ski School forums here.

While not the Magic Move,” I believe there is a major concept that will help you improve as a skier. Dance with gravity. Remember that as in any dance there are times when you take the lead and other times you let your partner (gravity) take the lead. Allow yourself to flow down the hill. Or as Buzz Lightyear says, fall with style. ;)

Doug Briggs and JESinstr like this.
  19. geepers

geepers Putting on skis Skier

I thought you may have come across some Philosopher's Stone of golf. Did wonder given that golf is arguably 3 games in one (long, short, putting). That move would seem to do diddle squat for putting which, in a par round, is 50% of the shots. And, even for the long game, it requires a reasonable level of proficiency to bear fruit.

Back on topic... apart from moving to the snow, another useful move is the 'tap and go'.

It's done with a credit card and used to buy lessons.

I suspect that some folks are going to react negatively to such a concept - after all they had a lesson in 1993, the instructor was useless and therefore they've written off all instruction. Well, sometimes it's necessary to invest a little time to pick an instructor to suit skiing ability and communicating preferences. And then sticking to a longer term development. A single lesson is unlikely to be enough to learn and ingrain new motor patterns.

If that doesn't hit the spot try "Stay Balanced". Works on both the hill and a bar stool.

wutangclan and LiquidFeet like this.
  20. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    Beat me to it, but that's two things.
    So, if two things are allowed, I'll go with a quote a ski store owner told me a long time ago. You will all know who it's from (cough..Warren Whitherell). "Tip and pressure your skis so they take you where you want to go."