• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest The look and feel of the season....

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Northern Michigan has experienced the second shortest summer I can remember.
The weather sucked until the end of June and summer is fading fast early in September.
The only summer shorter was in 1991 when Mt. Pinatubo erupted.
Ash from the volcano resulted in 30 degree lows in July and August but incredible sunsets.

This year's sucky summer has no obvious cause.
What it means for ski season isn't clear but the signs of fall are everywhere.
Birds flying, worms creeping and old timers saying the upcoming winter looks harsh.
The Old Farmers Almanac says we are going to get it.
I upped my propane pre-buy by 5% and am starting to look at my ski rack.
Let's hope for a great season.
Great to be back on Pugski and away from the Friends of Kanaha.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Northern Michigan has experienced the second shortest summer I can remember.
The weather sucked until the end of June and summer is fading fast early in September.
The only summer shorter was in 1991 when Mt. Pinatubo erupted.
Ash from the volcano resulted in 30 degree lows in July and August but incredible sunsets.

This year's sucky summer has no obvious cause.
What it means for ski season isn't clear but the signs of fall are everywhere.
Birds flying, worms creeping and old timers saying the upcoming winter looks harsh.
The Old Farmers Almanac says we are going to get it.
I upped my propane pre-buy by 5% and am starting to look at my ski rack.
Let's hope for a great season.
Great to be back on Pugski and away from the Friends of Kanaha.
Similar experience in Minnesota. Feels like summer didn't start until June. When it did, I barely ran my AC all summer.

September 1st was like flipping a switch, and this last week has felt like the end of October.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel similar down south of you folks in east central Iowa but in looking at the NOAA National Climate reports for April, May, June and July, it shows temps have been pretty average. I wonder how average is figured .. I recall some stretches at 90+ and nearly 100 for the week, then a week below norm by maybe 10 degrees.

Anyhow, my kid feels this way too as we got our Intex type pool set up .. and now I'm likely draining it this weekend for storage. We got it up a bit late but sure seemed short to me. Farmers too I'm sure felt this way due to really late plantings in some areas due to rain.

Anyhow, hoping for a decent winter, last year was in my opinion good short of our cold spree end of January ... man ... I can do without -14F day time high followed by -30F

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last season was good, as was the one before that. Some great days at Chestnut can't wait to repeat here starting in three short months.

Hitting up Whitecap and Big Powderhorn start of '20 and Chestnut as many days as snow and basketball allow prior to then.

Ski show in 2 weeks in Schaumburg to kick things off.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last season was good, as was the one before that. Some great days at Chestnut can't wait to repeat here starting in three short months.

Hitting up Whitecap and Big Powderhorn start of '20 and Chestnut as many days as snow and basketball allow prior to then.

Ski show in 2 weeks in Schaumburg to kick things off.

When is the show and where ... got a link?

My brother in law is in area and might just wish Togo

ogsmile

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Inland Northwest is a tough call. The last 2 summers were some of the hottest on record, this one seems closer to memory; lots of 90 degree days and only a few 100 or more. The prediction was that September was going to be a scorcher, it is going to have to hurry to qualify, been cooler than normal.

Growing up in Alaska (if I ever did grow up) we were taught the common wisdom in the 60's and 70's that: if the season is hot in the Northwest it will be cool in Alaska, and vice versa. We were told it was based off of the jet stream path. It has proved true this Summer, Alaska has burned up, figuratively and literally.

I do know that this summer has been over the top for the grapes. Here is the 7th bag, about 30 lbs, with another 4 or 5 to go!
20190911_173827.jpg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Except for this last Tuesday, :)

k-OicTNJdaericqIHYqXtfqFhfH2inmVD3RbdbJ5RRkRTy5GIqESByWVnqJpU9DKaRZiw0FzlXkHStRZnoYgdR3L0790YVUQZKO-RPwDhe8xQlxNn0_iYtOQmUfPrZkfPhZhzKA30nZ5kHjfcvl_kc88TnvBr-JyJwfn_7rFHJHJ0IPyLUmAYL3S6m3z16VtZxzaRLP_uHCoMPq1Q3q0647jjopXkwCDcuXp5cwQrpUt0TA-4iH19lCvEANOgNnje8uAP4eeUYkP6DpPGRo4PPOsnIlZ0F29MEBtMyC1Xfb2vjjewWfrGsnPSSy4jLJs1gtmNL3-EajGiz0oprK7L2FWNze0nRX_2PlB-RRPh2y0hg-PvKpHkqPRC5a-WbI3sWulpwxvYqgZaW5Cm6SdUfosC6oKb_Xi7rFZw8_XLoWxS_4NmANaOn1jXdHMRmuoraRrJKRfUFTEknPvNH1kDC7uOaQ3xuuPj8nHv5wbMSGRFQhZGa6OBJ4DvexROavSbq7pQsKdE7YODDAjGPqGNavLhwGzLZwQ58CKJMl4xTiQloXQmh11J9Tw13eFax3K3TU-U0XcHyZubQaR010ltdL6M627H7a9wmTyj-uUqDoBa5TgMZ_XenXUewpwa8vlBVah0umGO9dq6MPpcQqAO5FVM3YPLTw4f39fTww2Erln6u_Ytw=w935-h701-no

Since then we have had way too much rain. At least 8"

Sponsor

Staff online