• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England The Little Mountain that Could

James

Out There
Instructor
I'd like to think I will finally stop there one day (after blowing by frequently when I lived in northern Vermont and had relatives in eastern Mass.). The reality, though, is that it would be a fluke if I did.

As you were. Apologies for blubbering on.
You go there at night. Just to be extra miserable when it’s cold.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd like to think I will finally stop there one day (after blowing by frequently when I lived in northern Vermont and had relatives in eastern Mass.). The reality, though, is that it would be a fluke if I did.

As you were. Apologies for blubbering on.
This is me every time, though my reality is that I almost rarely leave Vermont during ski season -- visits to my parents are pretty light in the winter because I don't want to miss a day on the hill...

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 210384
It’s not like having to travel across NH on frost heaved, headless horsemen filled, dark roads.
hahahaha that’s not what I meant. I just don’t really visit my folks outside Boston during ski season because I don’t want to miss ski days. But Whaleback is not that far and maybe this is the year I’ll make it there.

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just read (I think on Alpine Zone) they just got a whole bunch of funding for expanded snow making. They need just a bit more for their goal, but it sounded like good things for the Whale.
They received a $100k match, but are about $20k short on their end. They also couldn’t complete their new surface lift install this year due to the weather over the summer. But opening day is still planned for the 26th, and I hope to be there. Even if only for five turns and a beer.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I lived in the hood I would check it out. As it is I am fine with driving by it. Been doing that for decades.

Nice community hill and story.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I clicked on today's post, I expected it to be about the Free Season Pass Day, which is coming up in a few days - Saturday, January 20.
Any individual resort pass holder (but not mulit-resort passes like Epic or Ikon) can ski for free this Saturday from 9-4.

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I clicked on today's post, I expected it to be about the Free Season Pass Day, which is coming up in a few days - Saturday, January 20.
Any individual resort pass holder (but not mulit-resort passes like Epic or Ikon) can ski for free this Saturday from 9-4.
Yeah, that too. They're also offering inclusive ski touring sessions every Sunday.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was up over New Years and they were bare, unfortunately. How are they looking now?

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was up over New Years and they were bare, unfortunately. How are they looking now?
Open top to bottom. Two or three ways down. Snow earlier this week helped a lot, and the current cold is letting them blow snow, so I'm sure it will all improve. Still the best base lodge in the industry for those of us who appreciate a good dive bar. :)

PXL_20231229_214657946.jpg

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had a few good runs at Whaleback this weekend. Pretty crowded since they were hosting a USCSA race. Combined with 50 degree temperatures, it wasn’t the best conditions, but was still happy to support the local hill. But apparently I need to try to join the mug club next year to get one of those very cool ceramic mugs.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
They closed the main hill as of today. Looks like the learning area will run weekends. Not surprised, it's been a vicious season for New England and the one time I got to WB it was well behind all the other area mountains as far as coverage. Wishing them a better season 24-25!!

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They closed the main hill as of today. Looks like the learning area will run weekends. Not surprised, it's been a vicious season for New England and the one time I got to WB it was well behind all the other area mountains as far as coverage. Wishing them a better season 24-25!!
Yup. Bummer. Tough year for sure.

Sponsor

Staff online