• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England The Little Mountain that Could

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Originally named Snowcrest, Whaleback was my home for the years 1976 - 1979 when I attended prep school in the area. Great little hill. Blowhole and Face are terrific bump runs hanging right over I-89. One memory I have was the year when they cut Jawbone and they opened it (think right after the blizzzard of 78 IIRC) and a couple of buddies and I got to ski it in hip deep powder. It was wow and something I will never forget. Freedom Pass will let you have a fun laid back weekend in the Upper Valley if you combine Dartmouth Skiway and Whaleback.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We drove by yesterday! I went there a couple times just for the fun of it. I think it was closed for a few years but reopened? They have a great location right off the highway.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
We drove by yesterday! I went there a couple times just for the fun of it. I think it was closed for a few years but reopened? They have a great location right off the highway.
Closed 1990-1992 and 2001-2005, then restructured to a nonprofit in 2013 - I don't remember if there was a down year between the initial foreclosure and the nonprofit reopening

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The small mountains are the backbone of the ski resort industry, they provide a feeder system for the large resorts. Skiers have to start on smaller local hills and move on to bigger locations, and as we mature we may end up returning to the smaller hills.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
The small mountains are the backbone of the ski resort industry, they provide a feeder system for the large resorts. Skiers have to start on smaller local hills and move on to bigger locations, and as we mature we may end up returning to the smaller hills.

This. A few years ago Ski Canada did an article about hills this size. Called them breeders and feeders. No need to learn to ski at Aspen for a first timers. Breed skiers at the smaller hills and feed them to the larger ones.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Thanks for sharing this video, I am going to learn more about Whaleback Mt. I like skiing NH and it has been a few years since I have been up there, maybe next season.

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The neverending quest to get folks on my local bump continues. Whaleback is hosting an all pass event on Friday, 2/17. Any passholder, as in any pass from anywhere, skis free from 2 to 8 pm that day. If you're driving north on I89, its worth a stop to stretch your legs and get in some turns.

328761425_2960532420757794_110411372493232706_n.jpg

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Still chugging along.

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big doings at the Whale. New surface lift going in to access the terrain park on the left and Lower Spout (Thursday Night Race League--think gates) on the right. Good community/developmental stuff. Plus the inaugural beer garden day.

PXL_20230901_210646698.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice!
Going to have to make it to the Whale this season.
I'd like to think I will finally stop there one day (after blowing by frequently when I lived in northern Vermont and had relatives in eastern Mass.). The reality, though, is that it would be a fluke if I did.

As you were. Apologies for blubbering on.

Sponsor

Staff online